Ripped off by a tradesman – finding his address

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Ripped off by a tradesman – finding his address
  • tjagain

Its my turn to be ripped off. I feel really stupid

I arranged for a tradesman to repair / repaint my windows. I stupidly paid a deposit to secure a date for him to start thinking that if he had a long waiting list of jobs he must be good – and I didn’t do my research properly

needless to say I was let down – didn’t turn up when promised, sent a lad who couldn’t paint to primer the windows before repair, said he would have two carpenters on the job the next day but no show and no message. After two weeks of being messed around with half a days bad painting done I cancelled the job as he had let me down and told him I want my deposit back ( the deposit was to cover materials including several DG glazing units)

I have told him I will pay for the DG units if he gives them to me ( I am certain he has not ordered them) but I want the deposit back. He is of course resisting this.

To me he is in clear breach of contract ( I have everything in writing)so legally I am right. However getting his home address to serve the court papers looks tricky. He appears to use a few versions on his name and I think I have found his address but not 100% certain. should the company have a registered address somewhere? any ways of finding it out? any clues on how to make sure I serve the court papers on the right person?

Thanks for your help – jeepers I feel stupid!

gobuchul

should the company have a registered address somewhere?

If he’s a sole trader then he doesn’t need to register an address.

I think I have found his address but not 100% certain.

Wait in the bushes outside this address and see if he’s there.

tjagain

I will go visit the address and see if his van is outside.

tjagain

Google earth shows his van outside the address I have – got him!

gobuchul

TJ – How much money is it? I guess if it included a significant number of windows then quite a bit?

tjagain

Several hundred. materials would have been around £4 – 500

He claims he has bought the DG units – so I said fine – I’ll pay for them when delivered or rather take the cost of them off the deposit. Of course he has not ordered them is my bet.

Not a deliberate rippoff – just got jobs backed up due to breaking his leg. However its the lies that got to me. I offered to reschedule to another date when he had the workers available. He replied I will have 2 guys there wed – friday to get the bulk of the job done. No one turned up, no message from him

Sending a lad round to do a frankly shit job of painting before the repairs were done will not cut it.

he then tried to bullshit me when the lad got paint all over the glass and claimed painting before repair was the best way to do things.

gobuchul

He claims he has bought the DG units – so I said fine – I’ll pay for them when delivered or rather take the cost of them off the deposit. Of course he has not ordered them is my bet.

Sounds like complete BS. Even if he has, it will be on 30 days net and I’m sure he could return them.

Hope you sort it out.

tjagain

Custom slimeline DG – I doubt they could be returned.

Do you have a spare pair of Marzocchi Bombers laying around?

tjagain

Funny you should mention that……………….

oh dear God, I’ve this vision of BatmanTJ hunting the man down on the rainy streets of Gothamburgh, pounding the “tradesman” into the cobbles screaming “where are my windows”.*

*I may have had a few beers/been out in the sun to long and my imaginations gone into it’s dark place.

cheekyboy

Does he have a front lawn ?

Do you have a mallet ?

bonobo

@Cheekyboy

Are you suggesting he plays croquet on his lawn until he gets his money back? You monster.

Google earth shows his van outside the address I have – got him!

You know that’s not a live image, don’t you?

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Does he have a front lawn ?

Do you have a mallet ?

Sadly, I think TJ may be vegetarian

tjagain

🙂 I have an address I was 90% certain is him – and then seeing his van parked outside makes me 100% certain

tjagain

I think the Mallett is a fine idea. Having this idiot on my lawn would make me pay up

Cletus

Maybe just send a link to this forum and get him to ask what happens when you get into an argument with TJ!

tjagain

Indeed. I thank you guys for honing my skills!

Premier Icon chickenman
    Subscriber

Teej, you may not have been told that you need the glass rebates enlarged before you can fit Slimline plus it needs to be butyl putty. Are they 6 pane Georgian sashes? If so, it’s really not worth trying to get the old putty out of them and trying to route the rebates out; paper thin astragals just don’t like that sort of treatment! Send me mail if you need more advice.

tjagain

I will do chicken man – they are already DG – the units have failed. Replacement windows that I neglected so need repair. I’ll send you an email – want the work?

YOu have a pm

natrix

due to breaking his leg

Clearly somebody else has owned him with a pair of bombers already…………..

tjagain

I have now issued the “letter before action” to recover my money. His behavior has gone from absurd to surreal. Apparently he cannot pay me back the deposit because he spent more than that on materials and it will take him time to raise the cash. so I offered to accept the materials he has bought for me as the deposit return. Silence.

I know damn well he has not bought the materials. I also know the cost of them. His claim he has bought all the timber needed for my job and its been treated and seasoned specially for me? ridiculous. The DG units he claims cost more than the deposit – blatantly untrue – they would be around half the deposit and if he has bought them then surely its simple to given them to me instead of cash!

Does he not know who he is dealing with? 😉

tjagain

He also emailed me after the letter confirming to me that I had the correct address and that he received it. Helps my legal position greatly! He is not even a clever ripoff artist!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Just one thing to remember here… He’s another human being. It’s more than likely he’s found himself in a hole and trying and failing to dig his way out. Whilst that doesn’t help you, think of it from the other side..

If he were posting about his issues on STW as a cyclist, someone who’d got himself into a mess and was struggling to find a way out… Would you help, or berate him…

I think you’d help.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

If he were posting about his issues on STW as a cyclist, someone who’d got himself into a mess and was struggling to find a way out… Would you help, or berate him…

🤔

tjagain

Weeksy – I do have some sympathy for him which is why I offered to him to reschedule. His reply was ” there will be 3 men there tomorrow and they will work until its finished” the next day no one turned up and I could get no answer to texts or emails. this went on for two weeks. Promises of workmen the following day and then no one turns up and no communication

Its the way he lied to me on repeated occasions promising things that did not happen. Two weeks was booked in for the job – I had one half days painting done in that time – badly. Anyway who paints window frames that need repair before they are repaired?

If he had kept me informed and not lied to me I would have let him finish the job. As it is I no longer trust him, I would have to give him keys to my flat to work when I was no there ( the original time slot I would have been at home) and I am not prepared to do this.

He had a large deposit from me for materials. He has clearly spent this elsewhere not on materials for my job

I have not trashed him on trusted trader or elsewhere on the net which I easily could do and I won’t unless he continues to refuse to return my deposit.

edit – I would even accept a staged repayment. He just continues to state he has not got the money because he spent it all on materials. But completely ignores the repeated offers from me to give me the materials in lieu of the deposit and that the materials would be much less than the deposit.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Fair enough 🙂

Premier Icon FB-ATB
    Subscriber

He probably has spent it on materials, but from an earlier job

tjagain

exactly.

I am sure he has just got in over his head. All he needed to do was keep me informed and he could have finished the job for what would have been a good payday.

Even with the smiley, I cringed.

tjagain

Supposed to be a joke on my reputation on here!

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Ah man, having to deal with sort of stuff sucks balls, all the letters and court and solicitors is all crap no-one should have to deal with just because of bloody windows! You have my sympathies TJ, hope you get it sorted pronto.

You certainly have a very particular set of skills, skills you have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make you a nightmare for people like him.

I think Teej is being very patient!
    I’d have resorted to violins by now.

tjagain

If anyone one is interested I finally got all my money back today. It was rather like pulling teeth and I had to wade thru large amounts of bullshit but I got my money

Now the moral question is do I put out online the issues I had with him to help others know what he can be like? As I said I failed to do my research before paying him but when I did look around the net after he had my deposit and didn’t turn up a few others have had similar issues

I do not think it malicious in any way just he got in over his head and rather than admitting he was overstretched chose to bullshit me.

so you would put out reports on trusted trader, the local facebook page I got his details from etc or do I give him the benefit of the doubt and just let it lie?

From reports online he has also done good work for folk.

thoughts?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.