Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ripmo 2
  • sam_underhill

Gushing praise everywhere I look. With this, the new Switchblade and maybe the Atherton, there’s some lovely bikes, going down a storm with reviewers in the mid travel 29er market!

Poopscoop

Definitely a good time to be riding 29ers, something for everyone!

enigmas
    Free Member

Lovely bike, slightly longer and slacker brings it right in line with what I want in my next bike.

Anyone seen UK pricing yet?

sam_underhill

£5599 for the slx build. But no grip 2 fork for that. You need to upgrade for that.

jedi

Was on my want list. Dw link and slack but my lbs can’t get them so

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

it’s a 29er jedi!

Robin W is local to me and said he wasn’t allowed to do bike checks last season. now I undertstand why. Does look great, although the colours are not to my taste.

razorrazoo

colours are not to my taste.

Colours look exactly the same as last years Bronson options.

jedi

I know. I want a 29 😋

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Looks interesting, bit more in line with everything else now. Only downside is bushings, not bearings.

SirHC

Numbers look good, having worked on a few, the quality of the frame feels a bit meh.
    Bushings in the lower pivots? Hope their alignment and sealing is spot on!

Wonder if they are still fixing the headtube badge on with self tapping screws.

Alex

Bushings on mine (bought May 2018, ridden 3000+km) are fine! And it’s been through a lot of slop. Had them out twice to check, given them a light grease and popped them back in. To be fair to IBIS they do offer a lifetime warranty on them.

The changes are what seem to have been asked for (certainly from reviews I’ve read). I won’t be changing mine tho. I don’t feel the current Geo/Shock curve is holding me back 😉

sam_underhill

@jedi contour sell pivots still? Check out the new switchblade.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I want a 29

Stop the clocks

jedi

I have but silly money

Onzadog
    Free Member

After my Turner 6 pack, I’d rather have bushing than bearings in a frame. Way better if done properly.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

After my Turner I’d happily never see another bush anywhere on a frame. Where people are even looking to remove them from shock eyelets, I certainly don’t want them on a pivot 🙂

SirHC

Way better if done properly.

And in the bike industry, that is going to be a rare treat!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had turners from 2005 to 2016. Bushes on the older horst link designs seem to last forever,but as soon as I shifted to the DW design with short links- it’s got to be leverage – but they wore out incredibly quickly.

I can’t see any different in this iteration.

Alex

See that thing up there ^^ about 3000km in wet conditions? 😉 Bearings in the top linkage needed a lot more attention. And that’s away from the rear wheel and protected by a half mudguard.

Anyway I did like a comment I saw on the Ibis FB owners page ‘I have a V1. If my riding was good enough to need a shallower head angle and a different shock curve, they’d be giving me bikes for free’ 🙂

I reckon they’ll sell a boatload. I know there were serious (UK anyway) supply issues with the version I have.

leegee

Biggest problem I had in acquiring a V1 Ripmo was trying to get a Canterbury based shop to take my money. Once I went elsewhere it was easy and the distributor is fantastic.

I also ride in some filthy conditions and have had no wear or trouble with Igus bushings but the small bearings in the upper linkage needed replacing. All the pivots could do with more protection for our conditions IMO

julians
    Free Member

a mate of mine has a ripmo v1, he’s had for about a year, ridden in all conditions, with no issues so far.

I’ve had a few goes on it , it flies uphill, and is very good downhill too. Suspect the new one is even better downhill.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You see, you’ve conflated wear with dirty riding. I’m pretty sure they died from increased load.

chiefgrooveguru

Considering the nightmares people have had in the past with frames with bushing, and how good Ibis’s reputation has generally been on build quality and reliability, I’d be very surprised if they’d have moved to bushings on the lower link if it wasn’t going to work well in the real world. And has anyone heard of any problems with the original Ripmo’s bushings, or indeed any any problems with the lower link bushings on any recent Ibis bikes?

superfli
    Free Member

Still waiting on my AF to arrive. 3 weeks now, told it would be 6 ;(
    Ordered after lots of research on geometry, it looked spot on. Did think about the Pace, but was concerned on the low bb. Then some very promising reviews came out, and whilst chatting to a cycling mate, it turned out he had one. 1 day demoing his and I was sold! Not as light as I’d like, but the suspension felt bloody lovely. Also felt as playful as my (now to be sold) carbon patrol. And the price of the AF is fantastic! £2850! I will also feel more secure and not so concerned about having a cheaper/non carbon frame!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bug zapper blue, or Star destroyer grey? That’s the only real question.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ripmo 2’ is closed to new replies.