Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • R.I.P. XT thumbshifter
  • Hooter
    Free Member

Noticed something wrong with my shifters last night. Upon inspection, the left mount for my XT thumbshifters has cracked and twisted. Looks like it's going to snap soon, I've had a couple of heavy falls recently. These have been on my main ride for 16 years since upgrading to 8 speed, I thought they would last forever 🙁

Conespanner

I've got some Suntour XC pro's thumbies still going strong from a bike I bought 18 years ago. I would be equally p*ssed if they broke, outstanding piece of equipment.

wwaswas

16 years since upgrading to 8 speed, I thought they would last forever

I think in mtb years, 16 is forever.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Can you get replacement mounts for xt thumbshifters?

rOcKeTdOg

I bought a pair about 2 months ago, plenty around if you look, no need up change to new fangled shifters yet!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

The DX Thumbshifters were the same as the XTs IIRC but the mounting bracket was heavier – and therefore stronger – so you can replace with them too.

Still some out there new – or were last time I looked.

allthepies
    Free Member

Mine are still going, use them every workday on the commute hack.

Waderider
    Free Member

Ha! I've got one set of Deore and two sets of XT thumbies. Because you never know!

Keeping them though. Not rare, but precious. All hackers and retro builds need them 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

DX ones were steel and bent sometimes.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

DX ones were steel and bent sometimes.

Exactly – you could bend 'em back again.

THe XT mounts were alloy so you couldn't.

If I'm remembering correctly?

Hooter
    Free Member

Yep, DX ones were pressed steel, XT were forged alloy. I think I've got a DX pair somewhere in the spares bin, otherwise I guess I'll be haggling on retro-bike…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘R.I.P. XT thumbshifter’ is closed to new replies.