Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • R.I.P – The Hub Carrot Cake. Almost gone but never to be forgotten.
  • clubby

Due to the impending closure of the Hub Cafe I made the trip to Glentress yesterday for some cake and coffee , (before going for a ride since I was there anyway). Now, I’ve had a love/hate relationship with the Hub over the years. No seats and long waiting times in the summer and closed mid-week in the off season when I have most of my free time, but even I was a bit sad yesterday when I left for the last time. And the reason for this sadness? My last ever slice of their carrot cake.

To call it merely a cake is doing it a great injustice. It deserves it’s own menu board. More of a pudding than a cake, as you discover the first time you try to eat it with your fingers. So moist it’s almost impossible to pick up in pieces of any size. Best attacked with a fork and enjoyed in chunks. Many have I enjoyed over the years, but none as much as yesterdays.

So to Emma and Tracey I bid a fond goodbye, and to the new Peel Cafe I wish good luck, but for me I need to find a new cake of choice, because as good as the new carrot cake may well be, it’ll just never quite hit the spot.

Long live the King of Cakes!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Whats happening with Emma and Tracey’s involvement in the area? Last I heard there was rumour of another cafe in Innerleithen or something?

neilthewheel

That’s the saddest thing I’ve ever read.

flip
    Free Member

+1*

*Probably

Trekster

Is the Hub open on Monday does anyone know? Heading up for my last bit of cake and a smile from Teeny 😉

bullandbladder
    Free Member

*sniffs*

God speed, carrot cake.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Closes 27th I believe.

fasthaggis

Funny,I always found the carrot cake (and a lot of other things)at laggan far superior. 😉

roady_tony
    Free Member

after an big ride out there , there cafe was truly awesome. sad indeed.

unless of course the new owners also produce great cake! :S

clubby

Carrot cake at Laggan not as good. The haggis and mozzarella panini on the other hand. Genius. Oh so wrong, but genius.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The haggis and mozzarella panini on the other hand. Genius. Oh so wrong, but genius.

Heading up there on Saturday, might need to give that a go, sounds great!

moonboy
    Free Member

Sad times indeed.

doffs cap.

ftr1873
    Free Member

The haggis and mozzarella panini on the other hand. Genius.

Yep +1

RustyMac

clubby I agree with almost all that you have said however you need to change the carrot cake bits for flap jack. The flap jack at the hub is truely out of this world, a master piece in cake/biscuit perfection.

MrsToast
    Free Member

The flap jack at the hub is truely out of this world, a master piece in cake/biscuit perfection.

This. I’ve never been anywhere that does cake of any variety as good as The Hub. It’s a shame, because we go to Glentress every year, first we went for our honeymoon, and then for our anniversaries. It’ll be a bit weird once it’s gone, the cafe’s always been part of it.

Hope the rumour about them setting up in Innerleithen is true!

Houns

I can’t believe why the Hub is so fawned over.

Crap food and had to wait ages

wheeleeneelee
    Free Member

Trekster, yes , open Monday.

bigjim

I’ll miss the Hub greatly too, over the years have spent a lot of time sitting out enjoying great scran with different friends, many of whom have moved on to other parts of the world, good times. A ride at GT won’t be the same without it!

Militant_biker

It’ll be a bit weird once it’s gone, the cafe’s always been part of it.

Except originally, there was no cafe, no bike shop, just a car park and changing room. And the trails were still awesome back then. The Hub was the icing on the cake, but you can still have great cake without icing.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The cafe had just opened last time I was there! 1st time there was only the car park & no changing room/shower.
    Dales Bike Centre’s carrot cake is good too

Trekster

wheeleeneelee – Member
    Trekster, yes , open Monday.

Cheers. My last chance and only 2nd time this yr!!

Militant_biker – Member

It’ll be a bit weird once it’s gone, the cafe’s always been part of it.
    Except originally, there was no cafe, no bike shop, just a car park and changing room. And the trails were still awesome back then. The Hub was the icing on the cake, but you can still have great cake without icing.
    When I started going there was nothing at all, just car parking. The route was a hike`a bike “up” the boundary fence to Dunslair mast. Down through what was a wheel grabing bog and turned left down the contour ridge at the bottom bog Britney and down the 1st & 2nd parts of the Helly shelter climb 🙄 Taht was called “all terrain biking” in nthem guid auld days 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had some carrot cake when I was there a few weeks ago, it was awesome. I had one of those big cooked breakfast things aswell, that wasnt bad either.

joat

A week up there this ‘summer’ biking and hiking- came back heavier. I blame that damn carrot cake!

cheers_drive

Houns – Member
    I can’t believe why the Hub is so fawned over.

Crap food and had to wait ages

I agree, not a patch on the Drop Off cafe, which will be missed

Houns

yes, agreed, the only thing that made the trip to Afan worth it

rOcKeTdOg

i prefered the fruitcake myself

but the soups were worth getting soaked and covered in mud for

stevomcd
    Free Member

Carrot Cake was a bit too rich & greasy for my liking (ours is better 😉 ) but that white-chocolate millionaire’s shortcake…. mmmmmm….

doubledunter
    Free Member

I had a fruit flapjack from the hub last week and it was superb …we stayed in the small lodges a couple of weeks ago and had a “bikers breakfast” in the peel centre cafe and it was well tasty..

legend
    Free Member

in the peel centre cafe

ooooohhhh you’re not allowed to talk about “the other place” in this forum you know!

doubledunter
    Free Member

in the peel centre cafe
    ooooohhhh you’re not allowed to talk about “the other place” in this forum you know!

Youll all be using it soon though :mrgreen:

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ll miss it too. And the choice. Oh how we’re spoilt!

In the cracking weather we’ve had recently its lovely to sit outside the Hub with a cuppa facing the setting sun rather than sit in an almost subterranean palace of tiles – even if they (who shall not be named) do a cracking venison burger!

bigjim

In the cracking weather we’ve had recently its lovely to sit outside the Hub with a cuppa facing the setting sun rather than sit in an almost subterranean palace of tiles

Well in the new place you can also take in the patchy grass banking too don’t forget, whilst savouring the smell of the sewage station.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

whilst savouring the smell of the sewage station.

OK – I’d not noticed that but now you’ve sold it to me 😉

I did notice the carpark smells godawful some days – is that the same problem?

Northwind

I always thought the carrot cake was a bit slimy tbh. Then I stopped being allowed to eat it anyway.

So then I asked nicely if, since they didn’t sell any gluten free cakes, would it be OK if I eat my own? Seeing as how I’d just spent the morning trailbuilding, and had bought a baked spud and a banana smoothie anyway for about £7. Was told bugger off.

druidh
    Free Member

The “patchy grass banking” was glorious when all the wild flowers were blooming. I hope they don’t sanitise it into a golf-course look-alike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

clubby – Member
    No seats and long waiting times in the summer and closed mid-week in the off season when I have most of my free time.

I don’t see how an independent business could survive otherwise

neil the wheel – Member

Heard of the Holocaust?

So to Emma and Tracey I bid a fond goodbye, and to the new Peel Cafe I wish good luck, but for me I need to find a new cake of choice, because as good as the new carrot cake may well be, it’ll just never quite hit the spot.

Amen to that

rOcKeTdOg

Comparing cake to the holocaust? I realise you’re attention seeking but that is A new low for cynic-al and STW *shakes head*

Drac

It was an average Cafe at best not great but not bad.

jedi

i went up at the beggining of the month and had a chat with tracey and emma. i bought 2 mugs too.
    the hub is legendary and part of the buzz of glentress. i never walked over to the peel center cafe for a look.

tracey and emma i salute you and wish you nothing but good things. 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

I liked that the Hub was ramshackle and basic, it was all that was required and was built out of love for biking. Sitting outside in the sun enjoying the after biking feeling… oh the cake! Over the years it could/should have been improved but why would you when you knew it was going to be moved eventually?

I wish Emma, Tracey and all the “tight-young-lovelies” I have feasted my eye’s on over the years good luck. I appreciate what they brought to the area and I hope to hear they are back in business elsewhere (and if I can I will visit… oh the cake 8) ).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘R.I.P – The Hub Carrot Cake. Almost gone but never to be forgotten.’ is closed to new replies.