Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • R.I.P Pace Rc31 Ti
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

Bugger!

Now I weigh about 89kg. Do you reckon this is just fatigue or I’m too heavy!? I have ridden these forks for years on a commuter and then the last 5 months on my rigid 29er.

Luckily was only going slowly, did an endo into riding backwards and pulled the front brake and the end of the fork snapped and wrapped round the rotor! Teach me to show off.

Would like to replace with another rigid fork. Can anyone recommend a 29er carbon fork.

MM

mrlebowski
    Free Member

That’ll buff out… 😉

As for whats went wrong – I couldnt say..

haggis1978

Think there was a rider weight limit on these around the 90kg mark hence why i didnt buy a set. Pace were selling them again a couple of years ago as they had found some old stock lying around. Give them a bell as they might have something.

triple_s

Tim @ Fork English might be able to fit a new dropout? He shortened some old RC31s for me a while ago by removing the dropouts and cutting the legs down. Can’t remember what I paid but wasn’t much…

Northwind

That’ll be your fault for not servicing them.

wonnyj
    Free Member

From memory the weight limit is 90kg for normal riding, 80kg for rad skilz

the_lecht_rocks

on one do a CF 29er rigid. i use mine for 26 and 29″ wheels

honourablegeorge

Kind of funny to see the aluminium piece of the fork fail, with the carbon legs looking intact.

honourablegeorge

Kind of funny to see the aluminium piece of the fork fail, with the carbon legs looking intact.

acehtn
    Free Member

^ 🙂

Got an older dropout, IS mounts in silver appears the same casting apart from no lawyer tabs for Q/R on mine.
    Old fork snapped at crown steerer tube, chopped it up for possible trophy making materials. Possible spare for rebuild, although it appears fixable, not sure i would trust the fork, carbon tube could be damaged…..

part of me says fixable…..part of me says expect huge dental bill if it failed again 🙂

Ninja edit

Magnesium part not ally 🙂

scaredypants

I can’t quite tell – could that be a sticker ?

bigdean

Get the cheap exotic ones off ebay. Have survived me leading on them for past 18 months and am over 100kgs.

wwaswas

Spoon technology from cynic-al could save it.

Northwind

If it’s any use to you, I’ve got a set of Exotic carbon 29ers to sell- I’ve been using them as long 26er forks but new frame would suit a 100mm-equivalent better I think. Email in profile 😉

boltonjon

Ouch – that could have been a nasty failure at speed

I’ve just put some on my recent Single Speed build and a few people mentioned some of them failing in the past

The one failure on a bike which scares me is forks, stem or bars

Its always gonna hurt! I snapped some very early carbon bars in the early 90s and still have the scars

I am a long way from being a smooth rider and way about 90kgs – maybe its time for me to find some better forks!

What’s people experiences breaking these forks?

Cheers

khani
    Free Member

I can’t quite tell – could that be a sticker

Probably, most of their frames cracked had stickers..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Even funnier since they’re magnesium, not aluminium (in the normal sense). Seems to be a bit prone to failure on Pace forks if left to the elements (ie, not cleaned down after mucky rides etc). Suppose riding them on a commuter with salt on roads etc might have been the killer.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

I’m about 82kg and have had mine on the SS for 5 years or so with no sign of any problems….

TheGingerOne

I’ve a pair of those I no longer use that I think I’m willing to sell if you are interested in replacing like for like – assuming they are 26″ RC31 C-Type (190mm of steerer)?

walleater

Looks like a pretty crappy seal / bond and water got in behind the magnesium dropout and caused corrosion and failure.

That’s my armchair engineer verdict anyway.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Northwinds beat me to it.. You clearly forgot to service them annually didn’t you?

scotroutes

Northwind – how much for the Exotics?

pacerc100
    Free Member

I seem to remember there was a issue with backwards moves and disc brakes when they first came out. That’s why trials riders were relatively slow to adopt discs if I remember correctly. I guess its to do with the different loads applied when going backwards.. Then again maybe I am wrong.

somafunk

I’m selling my new x-lite 470mm carbon forks here ,grab a bargain

takisawa2

Same thing happened to my mate’s RC40’s, Pace glued a new dropout on. He went on to hammer them for a few years, then I hammered them for a year or two afterwards.

Exotics carbon forks are very nice, & well priced.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Thanks for the offers guys but after snapping:

2 Roadrats
    1 Cotic soda
    1 Cove Hummer
    Pace RC31 fork

I have bought some on one rigids as may need the warranty!

MM

Speshpaul

Pace will warrenty them no worries, probably send you a free gift as well.

sorry i’ll stop taking the pee (briefly) give Tim at Fork English a call, if the carbon is ok theres no issues bonding a new mag drop out on.

retro83
    Free Member

Speshpaul – Member

Pace will warrenty them no worries, probably send you a free gift as well.
    😆

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘R.I.P Pace Rc31 Ti’ is closed to new replies.