Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rip Mike Burrows
  • monkeyboyjc

Had a few FB posts pop up about the passing of Mike Burrows. Truly a pioneer of bike design, RIP…..

….This morning at 7.30 Mike Burrows Bike Designer/engineer/cycling game changer passed away peacefully in his sleep. His Wife Tuula and Son Paul are very private people so I kindly ask you no phone calls please…Thankyou…

An inspirational man, who will leave behind a legacy.

matt_outandabout

🙁

fasthaggis

Sad news if it’s true,a very interesting person.
    Met him a few times at Eastway HPV events.
    I also had the loan of a Windcheetah for a while,it was a hoot.

mick_r

That is very sad.

Has been inspiring my bike dabblings since the early 90s and I had the pleasure of attending an IMechE lecture he did at the local University.

branes

Sad day – the Burrows/Lotus bike is justifiably legendary.

Just came across this really good Burrows article which I think is a worthy obituary:

https://theradavist.com/britains-fastest-self-powered-human-mike-burrows/

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most De...
    Singletrack Video Archive: Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150
    convert

Ah bugger. I typed that I was wondering how he was in another thread only a week or two ago.

A real legend in the mad as a box of frogs but not kind of way. The world needs more Mike Burrows.

🙁

TiRed

RIP Mike. Wasn’t just aero fast things, he also designed the Giant Halfway folding bike and their Revive semi-recumbent when he went to them as designer.

And of course if you ride a Giant TCR, well there’s a little bit of him in there too, since he designed that as well to avoid the need for many frame sizes.

The Ancestor of Your Bike

convert

And of course if you ride a Giant TCR, well there’s a little bit of him in there too, since he designed that as well to avoid the need for many frame sizes

Until about 6 weeks ago I owned the first one in the UK. It did the rounds of the mags and had a 6 page review in cycling weekly starting the sloping top tube compact frame as a mainstream concept. I then bought it from giant as I worked for a shop that sold Giant bikes at the time. The odd stem, steatpost and crazy wheels, all with mike’s signature on them. Held on to the frame for sentimental reasons long long after I stopped riding it. My friend bought another one directly from Mike. It was an unused TdeF special for Laurent Jalabert to use on hill stages with acid etched tubes so thin you could squeeze them in with your finger tips.

monkeyboyjc

https://youtu.be/qAau2pC_Nxw

RustyNissanPrairie

From what I’ve seen on TV/internet I think he was a typical British bloke genius in a shed type of person and I think the world of cycling is really worse off with his loss.

MoreCashThanDash

From what I’ve seen on TV/internet I think he was a typical British bloke genius in a shed type of person and I think the world of cycling is really worse off with his loss.

Certainly the impression I had of him from friends in the HPV world

NJA

I met him once, genuine eccentric genius. He was right about so many things and was a visionary when it came to two wheeled transport.

A sad day RIP.

dudeofdoom

I had a windcheetah until recently,a great piece of engineering.

irc

Designed the ultimate cargo bike as well. His go to bike.

Harry_the_Spider

RIP.

Designed the Jason Miles / Guy Martin 24 hour tandem too. Came across as a top bloke on the accompanying TV show.

bol
    Free Member

Before Mike’s compact frame designs road bikes had been broadly the same design for decades. It’s him we have to thank for no longer clanking our knackers on the top tube.

the00
    Free Member

One of the few people I could actually list as a ‘hero’. He looked at bicycle design, which was almost stagnant to true innovation, with a real open mind.

I don’t think he would have always been an easy person to work with, but he was a one-man power house of innovation. That he achieved so much at corporate giant Giant is amazing, but it was maybe a fraction of his potential.

This is a nice video summary of his recent book, giving a bit of an idea of his back catalogue:

StirlingCrispin

Peter Eland has put up this article on a visit to Mike’s workshop:

http://www.eland.org.uk/misc/Burrows2011.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1-a3Bv0sfJAeLQSXz_hAPfq9AhbXfqs4OFE0me0lT295OECGdSc84bFmI

scud
    Free Member

There is a great documentary on him on GCN, I once was commuting home from work and had bike upside down on verge in Norwich, he pulled up on the very cargo bike above and offered me tools and a track pump and chatted about road singlespeed ratios and had i considered Tannus solid tyres for commuting

Lovely, genuine man, who was often see at Norfolk cycle cafes chatting

jamj1974

It’s him we have to thank for no longer clanking our knackers on the top tube.

More Paul Brodie IMHO.

mick_r

Just listened to a really good tribute to Mike on Radio 4 Last Word.

IHN

I’ll look out for that

cookeaa

What A shame.

RIP Mike.

fasthaggis

@mick_r
    Thanks for the heads up.

monkeyboyjc

This came up on the mint sauce FB fan page….. Was found in Mike’s workshop, Apparently Jo Burt never  got his spacers…..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.