Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • RIP Magicshine MJ872, 2012-2016
  • Northwind

Waaaah 🙁 I’ve posted loads of times on here when people slag chinese lights, that the good ones really are good,but this is the end of the road… I got my first MJ872 in the winter of 2012, I think, and then another one the year after, and they’ve both been awesome- bright, reliable, and a really fantastic beam. I’ve watched mates buy expensive and often less bright lights and watched a few of those die, and taken the piss. (especially my mate with the 2 Hope R4s, which are functionally identical except for the repeated cable failures…) And every so often I’ve bought this year’s cool light, and always gone back to these.

But tonight I was testing some battery packs and disaster! One of the XPE leds burned out, and shortly afterwards, the entire light went dead- I guess the board doesn’t like driving only 3 emitters.

So long sweet price! One of the best £70s I’ve spent on bike kit, I will miss you. Until I fit my BT40S (which is exactly the same deal but with updated LEDs).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/j2a2P7]PBEL0373[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

oink1
    Free Member

*Sniff* 😥

psycorp
    Free Member

I’m with you NW, love Chinese lights.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    blader1611
    Free Member

I am with you Northwind. I have been powered by chinese lights for the past 5-6 years and my m872 is still going strong with the original battery pack.

Edit: sorry for your loss, my condolences.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

#lightlivesmatter

fudge9202
    Free Member

Northwind considering the BT40s, have you used it and if so is it any good?

andyl
    Free Member

surely you can buy the driver board and LEDs cheap to do diy torches?

What is the current go to for lights? Now I am working night rides are the only option 🙁

Northwind

I think it might be possible to refurb it – dropping in another LED would have been simple enough I think if it was just that but I suspect the whole light is dead (apart from the light on the back, which is still jauntily green and declaring that all is well).

But the BT40S- which is kind of the spiritual successor- is only £22 for a head unit so probably not that much point.

(we’ll see though… I’ve done one short ride with the BT and it does seem excellent but not done enough to know if it’ll last, etc)

eddiebaby – Member

#lightlivesmatter

“…and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy”

banksy
    Free Member

Commiserations on your loss !. I used various Magicshine lights too over the years – they were great lights. I’ve recently purchased however an ITUO Wiz20 and there will definitely be no going back !. This light is superb and a step up. 1500 lumens and internal easily changeable batteries, it feels great quality and has preformed brill so far. ITUO are up and coming – I bought this primarily too because Singletrack recommended it in their review earlier this year. Here’s a link to the review: http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-ituo-wiz20/

buckster
    Free Member

The sun rises in the East lighting the world for a reason

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘RIP Magicshine MJ872, 2012-2016’ is closed to new replies.