• This topic has 29 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • RIP Lottie FFS!
  • 🙁

Lost our 3rd dog in the space of 6 weeks this evening. Well, technically the latest two were just pups, but still…

I’m about done with pets, can’t take the heartache!

Merry **** Christmas

*edit – wrong forum, mods please shift it. Ta

brokensoul
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that.
    You must’ve had all the bad luck now. Your next pup should be a belter.
    Chin up.

user-removed
    Free Member

Damn that’s harsh 🙁

Dare I ask where you’re getting your puppies from?

The two Beagle pups were just from a hobby breeder in Essex – well to do area, big posh house, had a litter before spaying (although our suspicious nature smells some untruths). Both died from the effects of Parvo, but there were other issues.

JoeG
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that you lost the last one, too. Losing a pet sure is tough! I don’t have much more to add, other than I feel for you! 😐

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m sure you know the pitfalls but there are lots of puppy farms supplying private dealers and Parvo is a common denominator.

Have you got any left to dull the pain?

Woody
    Free Member

That’s awful mate. You did all you could but i know that doesn’t make it any easier 🙁

Nope, none left.

The woman we dealt with has shown seemingly genuine concern and we saw the litters mother, however our gut instinct tells us something isn’t right about the whole set-up.

I’m guessing all contact will now cease, as tomorrow, I will be attempting to recover some of the £1k+ that this has cost us (and that’s with insurance).

user-removed
    Free Member

Very sad. There’s only so much you can do to ensure you’re getting a healthy animal. Hit the Dogs Trust for the next one. Mongrels are made of steel. And they’re only £100, all in. Or the Beagle Rescue Centre. Don’t know where you are but there’s one in Staffordshire, populated by Beagles bought by numpties who didn’t understand what beagles are about.

I can put you in touch with the beagle folk if you like?

Last one before the pups was a mongrel from a shelter – he died at 8 yrs old a few weeks ago with a brain tumour. He was an amazing dog, but always had issues.

Gonna think long and hard about getting another – and in any case, our house is now Parvo toxic.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

🙁 Take some simple biosecurity measures if you buy another.

Firstly, wait a few months before you buy another. Secondly, disinfect any possible contamination routes (eg shoes). Disinfect the whole house if you wish.

Thirdly, when you’ve got the puppy keep it in a section of the house where no one can take boots in from outside and make sure everyone washes their hands before touching the dog. If you’re really feeling paranoid make sure everyone changes their clothes before they see the puppy after they come in from outside. Basically quarantine the puppy.

I had loads of dogs as a child growing up, never new one that died of parvo! Maybe Beagle’s have extra shite immune systems?

user-removed
    Free Member

That’s young. Our mini-lurcher is eight and covered with lumps and bumps. He’s getting his jabs this week and I think we’ll pay for a bi-opsy on one of the lumps. Just so we know what we’re up against (if anything).

Honestly, I dread the day.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that mate. I have three aging jack russells (16, 14 and 13) and the next few years will be rough.
    Knowing it is going to happen is no help, but to lose three dogs as you have is more than I could bear.

Sandwich

Secondhand dogs from rescue are the way to go. Get a two year old and the parvo thing won’t be as big a problem. Battersea are worth a look as well, the dogs come from there in good shape and you could get a matched pair too (mother and daughter dalmatians came to us from there).

Drac

Ah bugger what a real shame as you were giving her the love of her lost sibling.

Worst thing about having pets is losing them.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nooooo. Not the other one too.
    Get up the RSPCA and put your name on the list for a puppy.

cinnamon_girl

Oh no, that is incredibly sad. 😥

If anything positive comes out of this then it has to be following your instincts about the breeder. Do some investigation, try and talk to any sibling owners.

Hohum
    Free Member

Oh dear, you are having a run of bad luck.

It must be quite sad in your house at the moment 🙁

Onzadog
    Free Member

Gutted for you.

JCL
    Free Member

Very sad. There’s only so much you can do to ensure you’re getting a healthy animal. Hit the Dogs Trust for the next one. Mongrels are made of steel. And they’re only £100, all in. Or the Beagle Rescue Centre. Don’t know where you are but there’s one in Staffordshire, populated by Beagles bought by numpties who didn’t understand what beagles are about.

I can put you in touch with the beagle folk if you like?

This^^^

MaryHinge
    Free Member

That’s why I never have pets. Too upsetting when they get ill or die.

And I don’t like dog breeders. Plenty of good dogs that need re-homing for free without paying someone ridiculous money for an inbred pedigree.

Not nice for you TAFKASTR.

sandwicheater

Blooming heck, that is a crap end to your year, sorry 😥 Can’t even comprehend having three dogs dying in so many weeks.

I know it’s very early but do you think you would get another puppy/rescue dog?

kimbers

I think it was an article in dirt that summed it up for me

‘they shit and they die, and I cant deal with either’

(fwiw I love dogs, always had them growing up and still enjoy seeing my parents ones when I go and visit)

MrOvershoot

Mary Hinge – Member
    That’s why I never have pets. Too upsetting when they get ill or die.

We decided the same, when I was 12 our neighbours Jack Russell had a litter of puppies. I saw 3 being born & 1 “Bernard” became my dog 😀
    He looked just like this

16 years later I had to take him to the vets as he was in a bad way, holding him as they put him to sleep was like having part of my body ripped out 🙁

The week before we got married my to be wife lost her “Thomas” a big soft ginger tom who was the true life version of Bagpuss, I mentioned his passing in my wedding speech and you should seen the number of blubbing people when they found out.

granny_ring

Sorry to hear of your loss… 3 times blimey. Horrible.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Been keeping an eye on your posts. Was hoping this would never get posted. Absolutely gutted for you. Hope you decide to get another I’m sure you’ll get a belter of a dog.

Nobby

Gutted for you.

This. 🙁

busydog
    Free Member

That is harsh—so sorry to hear that–it’s always hard to lose a pet and never seems to get any easier as they become such a part of our lives.

CountZero

😥

Andy

Gutted for you

It’s so sad that we build such a strong bond with dogs, yet they live such short lives and die. It’s a real choker. And then we get / don’t get another dog, but we move on. To me it’s all part of the deal of having a dog. Sat here keeping night watch on my 9year old Staffy after major hind leg surgery so this mantra is rolling through my head! Op sounds so unlucky hope you move on and get another dog soon.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘RIP Lottie FFS!’ is closed to new replies.