• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • R.I.P. Lawnmower Trail
  • psling
    Free Member

After being in the shadow of the woodsman’s axe for the last 18 months or so it’s finally happened, the trees are gone and the trail has gone with them 😥

The Lawnmower Trail, for those not in the know, was a sublime piece of woodsy singletrack in the Forest of Dean laid out by a guy named Matt who started the trail using a lawnmower when he was lodging in one of the bungalows near the start of the trail. Hopefully he’ll be back with his lawnmower when the harvesting contractors are gone and we can get Lawnmower Trail II, son of Lawnmower, born 8)

The FoD is a working forest, trails come and go; long may we be allowed to play there.

Diane
    Free Member

Ah always sad when that happens.

tollah
    Free Member

Bad Times! But as you said Psling it’s a working forest and thats what happens! Doughies was the same this time last year and now backing it’s full glory! Fingers crossed we’ll be able to sweep n swoop down there again soon!

zangolin
    Free Member

A sad day – was one of the most aesthetically pleasing tracks around.

Now I know why it’s called the Lawnmower trail. One of our local trails near Hereford is also known as the Lawnmower trail – but that’s just because someone nailed an old lawnmower to a tree.

psling
    Free Member

Great how trails get names, isn’t it. And it’s amazing how many different names the same bit of trail can be called by different groups of riders over time.

Fingers crossed we’ll be able to sweep n swoop down there again soon!

Only a matter of time ‘don 😀

jimster
    Free Member

A sad day indeed, only rode it once and couldn’t stop grinning at the bottom a sublime little trail.

MrAgreeable

Great bit of trail. Have fond memories of attempting it on a tandem the morning after SSEC. 🙂

psling
    Free Member

Was that the tandem acquired at the event? 😉 Hope it’s still in use and giving as much fun as we had on it 8)

amt27
    Free Member

Where have you been? This happened over a month ago.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

No more Sweeping and Swooping down there anymore that is sad.Have heard there is going to be a food ban down there the wildlife is getting to fat on crackers and cheese is this true????????????? 😆 🙄

psling
    Free Member

Where have you been? This happened over a month ago

I had to get over my grief before posting… 😥 😉

They had to pump extra water into Mallards Pike because the ducks were displacing too much water on their diet of niche-cheeses and sausage… 😯

mokl
    Free Member

The Old Race Track was looking pretty poorly on Sunday, think it might about survive though.

TheStationer
    Free Member

Won,t miss the climb up to it ! it will be back i am sure !

amt27
    Free Member

just been up there, the cleared view over to the black mountains is probably one of the best in the forest,

I haven’t really looked at the damage to the trail, reckon is it just branches and a few tractor tracks? or is it worse? I am pretty sure the loggers have left the area, I am up for a bit of digging

psling
    Free Member

Won,t miss the climb up to it !

There’s a lovely little grassy, rocky, climb up from Soudley as an alternative Mike… 😕

amt27, it’s certainly opened up the view a bit from the bungalows (did you know one of them is owned by an ex-pro racer?!) but I don’t know if I could live in the middle of the forest like that.

psling
    Free Member

reckon is it just branches and a few tractor tracks?

I reckon so though I haven’t had a good look yet either. I’ll try and find out whether harvesting has finshed in the area or not.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Out on the Cx tomorrow. I’ll maybe have a look> Got to go the the cycle centre first to look at a trike!

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Can someone show me on a map where this trail is? Email if you don’t want to put it in public
    Thanks

jimster
    Free Member

Have a look om the Fountain Inn website,Mallards Loop

mattsccm
    Free Member

I think it might need a bit of clearing! Time to make a new version. It was nice and sunny there today though.

MrAgreeable

Was that the tandem acquired at the event? Hope it’s still in use and giving as much fun as we had on it

Yeah, our mate Andy bought it and as far as I know it’s still being happily used. Everyone had to have a go first though. There’s a photo somewhere of Clubber riding it solo, sat in the stoker’s seat.

D0NK

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    I only got to ride this once at ssec but even I’m gutted, that was a fantastic ribbon of loveliness

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘R.I.P. Lawnmower Trail’ is closed to new replies.