Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • RIP John North
  • Mark

Total legend and good friend of Singletrack, John North died last night after a long and complicated illness. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him or knew of him. He was a true legend of the outdoor world.

We will be raising a mug of dishwater like tea to you today John.

Drac

RIP

Took me ages to picture him and doing a search revealed I had met him and yes a very nice guy.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with all who knew him.

velofly
    Free Member

I’ve just re-read the interview with John North from issue 11. I remember reading it at the time and how it made me feel better about the ageing process (I had just turned 40) and that there was no reason why I couldn’t carry on riding a mountain bike for years to come. I never met him, but he sounds an amazing bloke.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As velo said: that interview helped me too.

dean0
    Free Member

A lovely man and a very sad day. Ride and remember.

MrSparkle

RIP John.

Any chance of posting a link the article up here please, STW?

sturmey
    Free Member

Also just read the article and moved to race that bit harder tomorrow and be thinking of him while i’m doing it condolences to his friends and family.

wool

It only a few years ago that I used regularly see him on my commute grinding up Kirkstone pass on his way to Ambleside. Awesome rider and total hard man. Ride in peace John.

dave360

Yea RIP. I liked John.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Met him once, really nice guy. Legend. RIP John.

vondally
    Free Member

RIP Mr North, legend, hero, hard man and wonderful human being

crazy-legs

Absolute legend, full of funny stories and anecdotes, it was great listening to him.

RIP.

jimmy

Never heard of him, but will be reading issue 11 to find out. Sad news that such people have to go out after these battles.

nonk
    Free Member

Top bloke, saw him at the peaks a few years back ( the one with the mental weather ) still pootling about on his bike offering words of encouragement .
    Helped me loads as junior.
    cheers John .

nbt

Never met him but heard nothing but good things. RIP

ton

camped next to him on a polaris event in the howgills years ago. spent the evening sat supping tea, eating power bars and talking about past trips/races.
    a proper nice bloke, and a very inspiring bloke to boot.

r.i.p John.

therider
    Free Member

RIP Northy,
    worked with him at Biketreks for almost 4 years top bloke, good craic.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

RIP

Was lucky to have met him.

oldboy
    Free Member

In the 70s this guy was already a top long distance fell racer and was a member of Clayton le Moors Harriers, long before he even got into cycling. R.I.P.

dave360

Extra Exposure night ‘cross race, Derby. January 2005.

ransos
    Free Member

I met him about 20 years ago. If memory serves, he used to race for Karrimor when they sponsored the old NEMBA series. Anyway, he was kicking the asses of riders decades younger than him. A top fella.

RIP.

hishairyness
    Free Member

So sorry to here the news, John was a real example of northern grit, one tough cookie. We had the good fortune to be sponsored by Karrimor and he was our team manger, used to put us all to shame. A fantastic guy and I’m proud to of known him. RIP John North.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘RIP John North’ is closed to new replies.