Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • RIP John McAleese
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh, lot of angst and sand in knickers on here…

Room for a little Elf? 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

Very true but it still won’t prevent the clueless turdballs trying to be clever and score entirely meaningless points in their sad little keyboard hero world.
    The man undoubtedly earned and deserves respect. RIP

I may not give the guy respect but I’ll say that I hope he does rest in peace. But these type of threads really do need a bit of balance. Call that a keyboard hero world all you want, but what exactly is it you are doing, keyboard hero worshipping? Not exactly very much difference.. I actually suspect the guy himself would be a lot more willing to discuss things that some people on this thread.

Edric64
    Free Member

So all you wets on here dont support help for heroes then?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There’s some choice comments on this thread. I can’t begin to imagine what the thread which finally announces that Thatcher has popped her clogs will be like. As far as McAleese is concerned, special forces are undoubtedly required, as armies are, in every country. How they are put to use is another matter altogether. But the particular incident which made McAleese famous was undoubtedly totally justified. And I’m sure that Ayatollah Khomeini/Iranian government was no less grateful to McAleese than the British government was. I can’t speculate what McAleese’s reasons for joining the SAS were, but I’m sure they included the fact that he wanted to join, and he almost certainly enjoyed being in the SAS. I don’t idolise him for doing a job which he presumably wanted to do, but I do respect him for doing a necessary job.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve given money before, personally though I don’t like the name (I don’t believe in hero-worship) – I also think the government should be looking after these people properly rather than a charity needing to do it.

Calling people ‘wets’ is a fairly childish example of the kind of overdose of testosterone I was talking about though.

althepal

Seosamh77, I wasn’t wanting to get into a big debate about the use of the army, our foreign policies over the years or such. I’m not pretending that I know his full service record and making a judgment on the guys life on that basis..
    Innocent? I don’t think anyone of the terrorists in the Iranian embassy that day were very “innocent”.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think the public should support all these poor conscripted members of the armed forces, it’s not like they made an informed choice or anything.

kimbers

edrics so hard hes making me wet

lowey

Edit… I cant be arsed and I should never have read the chat forum in the first place.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Seosamh77, I wasn’t wanting to get into a big debate about the use of the army, our foreign policies over the years or such. I’m not pretending that I know his full service record and making a judgment on the guys life on that basis..
    Innocent? I don’t think anyone of the terrorists in the Iranian embassy that day were very “innocent”

I haven’t once discussed the innocence or the guilt of the iranian terrorists, so i’m not really seeing your point or the relevance their guilt has?

But the guys job involves a lot more than that so i think it’s only logical that a discussion of the wider aspects of his occupation as a whole and not just him as an individual would possibly ensue from this type of thread.

I’m sure there’s plenty british army forums you could have gone to if you just wanted a thread with 1,000 RIPs that would have moderated me out. Hardly the way of this place though is it…

bloodynora
    Free Member

Died a couple of days before the 2nd anniversary of his sons death in Afghan. Very sad.

Larger than life character it seems and a tale or two to tell no doubt.

‘ Oi hen, shift yersell I cannae see the telly’ Or words to that effect to Thatch after she visited them on completion of the Iranian Embassy siege.

“People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf”
    George Orwell.

RIP Sgt John McAleese MM Special Air Service Regiment

Woody
    Free Member

I actually suspect the guy himself would be a lot more willing to discuss things that some people on this thread.

Isn’t the fact that he can’t, the point of this thread?

But these type of threads really do need a bit of balance.

In your opinion. Why not save it for the politicians instead of trying to denigrate the achievements of someone who has served his Country.

Edit… I cant be arsed and I should never have read the chat forum in the first place.

Dammit man, you’re right 🙁

ilovemygears
    Free Member

1freezingpenguin – Member
    If the SAS were that good, why did the IRA take the piss for so long?
    Because the UK government wouldn’t allow them to take out all suspected IRA members as it would be to controversial and no doubt some would claim they were innocent

no because if they did they people of Ireland would have taken to the streets and hell would have been unleashed… again… like the last time they had that idea.. black and tans etc
    he killed people for money and now he is dead.. my heart bleeds.. no really i couldn’t care less..

ilovemygears
    Free Member

“People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf”
    George Orwell

BULL SHIT!!!!

higthepig
    Free Member

no really i couldn’t care less..

Why bother posting then?

ilovemygears
    Free Member

that he is dead, this thred is quite funny

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes when Margaret Thatcher passes away there will be some shameful and childish comments about dancing on graves etc.

I have very little time for Tony Blair however I don’t wish him ill.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s the lack of milk protein as a child that’s created your feeble mind hora, all thatcher the milk snatcher’s fault.

she has a lot to answer for.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yep a few kids round here need to get out a little more thats for sure..

JM was without question quite an extraordinary man but this hero-worship? Well Im pretty damn sure he’d piss himself with laughter at some of the crap spouted on here..

hora
    Free Member

Looking at me and you Gary one of us had more milk than the other as a child 😀

althepal

Seosamh77-you commented that” Many innocent lives would have been lost as a result of the job in front of him and others, is that acceptable?”
    I was only referring to the ones I know about, and the terrorists that day weren’t innocent in any way IMO.
    Do you know the details of the innocent lives that were lost as a result of him doing his job? I doubt it.
    Fair enough, you’re not a fan of him of his colleagues and their actions.. But I don’t feel that’s justification
    for a sweeping generalisation about all the innocent lives lost..
    Jeezo!

sc-xc

The only good thing out of all this is that they will be playing repeats of Fawlty Towers. RIP John.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Seosamh77-you commented that” Many innocent lives would have been lost as a result of the job in front of him and others, is that acceptable?”
    I was only referring to the ones I know about, and the terrorists that day weren’t innocent in any way IMO.
    Do you know the details of the innocent lives that were lost as a result of him doing his job? I doubt it.
    Fair enough, you’re not a fan of him of his colleagues and their actions.. But I don’t feel that’s justification
    for a sweeping generalisation about all the innocent lives lost..

so what’s your contention here, because we don’t know specific details, it doesn’t happen?

wrecker
    Free Member

no because if they did they people of Ireland would have taken to the streets and hell would have been unleashed… again… like the last time they had that idea.. black and tans etc
    he killed people for money and now he is dead.. my heart bleeds.. no really i couldn’t care less..

BULL SHIT!!!!
    You and your kind are the polar opposite to men like Sgt Mac. That is NOT a compliment.

althepal

No mate, I’m sure there prob have been at some point. That’s the nature of any armed conflict I guess. You seem intent on stirring things tho- noticed you did something similar in response to someone else’s post earlier in the thread.
    The guys dead. I think he prob did some good with his life throughout it. I don’t know everything about him and his career so was mostly making reference to the storming of the Iranian embassy. You appear to think the opposite and wish to disagree with anyone who does.. Fair enough. Thank goodness we live in a country where that’s perfectly acceptable.

(edit) I guess my contention is that neither of us prob really knows what he got up to in his professional career. But I guess he prob did his best to do his job as best as he could. And that that prob made a difference in the grander scheme of things. For that, I think he, and anyone else that does the same, deserves respect.

yunki
    Free Member

Ah yes when Margaret Thatcher passes away there will be some shameful and childish comments about dancing on graves etc.

oh come off it..! That’s taking it a bit too far

hora
    Free Member

I don’t want to turn this into a political thread but some people have short memories who royally slag her off. Labour had driven the country into the ground in the 70’s leading to the Tories win at the 79 election.

Tough decisions make you unpopular.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Late entry for “yossarian’s” benefit – “The one is part of, and maintains the other” with regard to the UK and it’s foreign policy is not saying “you hate the U.K.” – the letters are different and arranged in a completely different pattern.

I have no idea what you’re talking about but think you may be confusing me with someone else, who DID actually say that you hate the UK. In those exact words…

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t want to turn this into a political thread

best not.. some people will remember that those ‘tough decisions’ were a lot tougher on some folk than others..

I’m not going to get into it with you though cos your online reputation precedes you and I reckon I could find better uses for my time than banging my head against a brick wall..

🙂

hora
    Free Member

Yeah well I was brought up in very straightened-circumstances through the 80’s. Doesn’t stop me from admiring or respecting success.

yunki
    Free Member

Yeah well I was brought up in very straightened-circumstances through the 80’s

The point is that it was still a more straitened time for some than others..

I’m quite sure that you believe that your admiration for success is very noble..
    But some of the people queueing for a chance to shit in the mouth of Thatchers still warm corpse would be justifiably very offended at your churlish impudence..

tankslapper
    Free Member

RIP John – comments on here on Ireland without knowing or understanding the situation are in poor taste.

Some people on here should look closer to home at the situation in their own mainland towns and cities before casting aspersions. It’s very easy to compare the moralising some of you nerks do on here without the reality of history or what it was really like during the ‘troubles’. John was a man of his time, needed when things where tough, when political solutions had failed; wish that it wasn’t so but it looks like we will always require a military solution when all else fails, so if you’re not prepared to get your hands dirty and do the job then probably best to keep quiet.

And on the quasi political theme of Thatcher let’s just say one thing for all political ‘rulers’ in GB they’re all rotten to the core. Governments change but nothing changes. Even now to the point where the recent riots are laughable when you consider the outrage of MP’s who only until recently stole from you and me through the expenses scandal so please stop whinging about Thatcher ; they’re all crap.

In the words of Billy Connolly ‘if you wouldn’t buy them a drink in a bar then don’t vote for them’!

yunki
    Free Member

also in the words of billy connolly..

don’t vote, it only encourages them..!

and I was only whingeing about Hora BTW.. not Thatcher 🙂

(although she is rare amongst British Leaders for the amount of homelessness and the resultant criminalisation of previously honest folk that she was responsible for..)

oldgit
    Free Member

In my very limited experience a lot of non politcal stuff went on under the IRA banner. Not only was it not political it wasn’t military in any way.
    I’m talking about people claiming to be IRA when in fact they were just organised crime. Without realizing it they must have been using up a lot of time and resources.
    Though I did hear tale of criminals using the IRA name comming a cropper.

Harry_the_Spider

😯

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘RIP John McAleese’ is closed to new replies.