Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • RIP John Hume
  • ElShalimo

It’s very sad to hear of his passing. In a time when there were bloody-thirsty idiots on both sides, he courageously stood for peace and respectful difference of opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/03/john-hume-former-sdlp-leader-and-nobel-peace-prize-winner-dies-aged-83

Kingkona

He was indeed a great man. Having been brought up in his home town during the ‘Troubles’, we all benefited from his drive and vision for Northern Ireland.

donncha

He was a great man and a true leader.

dannyh
    Free Member

You also cannot overlook the sheer danger he chose to put himself in due to his principles.

At various points I imagine the Republicans, Loyalists and Brits all posed a threat.

Makes me reminisce about grownup politics.

donncha

He was the only person to win all three of the Nobel, Ghandi and the Martin Luther King Awards.
    I believe he donated all the winnings to charity.

ElShalimo

I wish we had politicians of that calibre now

☹️

33tango

Probably Ireland’s greatest ever Politician – RIP

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

An absolute giant of a man. So few of his kind around even then with the courage to stand up to those who saw violence as their only means to an end. Probably none of his kind around now. You RIP John.

Caher

Probably Ireland’s greatest ever Politician – RIP

I’d go along with that, he was the 20th century equivalent of Daniel O’Connell.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

“Difference is the essence of humanity. Difference is an accident of birth, and it should therefore never be the source of hatred or conflict. Therein lies a most fundamental principle of peace: respect for diversity.”

Obama is about the only modern day politician that I can imagine delivering such wisdom.

ElShalimo

Sadly his widow has passed away today.

Being his wife in the worst of times must have been beyond scary. Poor woman.

frankconway

May they both rest in peace together
    I missed this thread last year – all I can do is echo the posts at the time.

tails
    Free Member

Yes, this is a year old news. RIP all the same.

ElShalimo

Reread my post from earlier today

jamj1974

A man of peace and a brave couple.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘RIP John Hume’ is closed to new replies.