R.I.P Jason MCRoy

Home Forum Bike Forum R.I.P Jason MCRoy

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • R.I.P Jason MCRoy
  • This was during a cross country race;

I wonder what he would have made of all that talent. Sad to see it cut short.

Edric 64

That is such an iconic picture of JMC .RIP

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

JMC story, well worth a read.

RIP

muddy247

As well as the family bike ride today we will be watching Dirt on a retro VHS player, if it still works!

muddy247

Godzilla- I thought that sold a few months ago for £5k +?

godzilla

I thought that sold a few months ago for £5k +?

I think a few of his bikes have turned up on ebay recently.
    Whats VHS?

muddy247

Godzilla, cos your not old enough to remember VHS!!!!

That really cool m2 hardtail was up for sale a while ago.
    I loved that bike back in the day.
    off for a ride now.

Jobe

I still remember all these years later, massively effected me for months afterwards, but I can still watch Dirt for a source if inspiration on the darker days or if I need a kick up the arse to get out on the bike. I’m glad I can say I was part of the nineties era in mountain biking, it’s still makes me smile 🙂

Premier Icon Furious
    Subscriber

When I started mountain biking JMC was a real inspiration and possibly my first sporting hero. I remember being hit really hard when I learned of his death, it was just a shock.

It always reminds me that you really don’t know how long you’ve got on this blue and green ball so you need to make the most of it – Jason certainly did.

Mackem

I wonder if the lorry driver remembers today?

godzilla

cos your not old enough to remember VHS!!!!

Correct.

muddy247

I was 15 when Jason died- he was a hero for many years and inspired all my friends to “live to ride”
    Many years on and we all still ride Mtb- some of us teaching kids to ride and passing his legacy on!

JEngledow

For those that don’t remember VHS and/or don’t have a hard copy here it is:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q0DZUIWBYEE[/video]

muddy247

18 years ago today the world lost a legend

In August 1995 he was struck by a lorry on the A628 while riding home on his Harley Davidson from Steve Peat’s house.

The lorry driver was never traced.

Jason died at the roadside.

Taken at the peak of his career, an inspiration to generations of mountain bikers

Taking the kids out later for a ride in his memory

Our youngest, Macroy is just on his balance bike and showing no fear!

Rest in Peace JMC

Dirt inspired me to pi55 about on bikes instead of just viewing them as transport. Yes it looks dated. There’s more proper fun going on in that film than all the modern bike films put together. JMC was the coolest dude.

discoduck

A true inspiration, I still get choked every time I drive past his shrine, I was sickened to hear of his death and often wonder what he would have made of today’s riding,

He was an exceptionally talented and fit rider,

Mackem, I wonder if the lorry driver remembers too 😥

I certainly do.

Dirt inspired me too – really aspired to emulate the way those guys could ride their bikes. 20yrs on and I still can’t ride that well, but I have fun trying 😉

RIP JMC!

muddy247

Dirt will always be a classic Mtb film- sadly Jason never got to see the final edit but I believe they showed it at the next worlds race to a gutted Mtb community. There is some more footage from the filming of Dirt over on JMC’s Facebook page

I remember after watching dirt me and my mates would ride around with our seats down all the time doing JMC foot forward turns on every corner even if it did not need it . I sold my game gear so i could get club roost riser bars to complete the look

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

That two wheel drift through the gate and the bit filmed form the back of the truck as he hammered down the track are two images that are permanently etched in my memory. Totally inspiring.

I can’t watch my Dirt VHS as I wore it out. Thank god for youtube!

A legend in the making, would have been one of the greatest I’m sure.

orangeboy

Does not seem like that long ago.

MisterCrud

Dear Jason.
    RIP.

thenorth

His FSR is on eBay at the moment http://item.ebay.co.uk/261270035284

Wish I had the cash for it.

DrRSwank

Thought of him this week whilst riding the Alps. Made sure we had a smile and a laugh as we rode.

Dirt really inspired me as a younger rider. I think this website needs a JMC…….

R.I.P.

Wow, in 10 mins the bids have went up over £2.5k for it!

if i could have anything like his ability on a bike,i would be very happy indeed.

definitely one of the greats of cycling.

epo-aholic

Such a sad story with the world of MTB at his feet at such a young age. Watching the Dirt video again reminds me how he had fun while he was around though.

……Just realised i got my JMC tattoo on the wrong arm! 😯

I don’t do ‘heros’ but JMC comes as close as it gets for me.

I remember finding out whilst watching cycling on eurosport at my grandads house and David Duffield announced it in the middle of his race commentary. He couldn’t quite believe what he was saying and I couldn’t quite believe what I was hearing. Google wasn’t an option back then so it took a while to be true.

Just read his story on the link above. Don’t mind admitting it made me cry a bit.
    I got into mountain bikes just before he died but I remember it happening. It never really struck me how influential he was at the time. Sounds like a real top lad. Rip.

paul123

I was at a NEMBA race somewhere when it was announced by the PA. The whole place just stopped. Wasn’t really into DH then but he had style for miles and so much lust for life.

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

I think it was the Bingley NEMBA but could be wrong – back when they used to get massive numbers of people racing – the place was total silence.

paul123

I was racing sport class along with about 200 others. The turn outs were amazing back then.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘R.I.P Jason MCRoy’ is closed to new replies.