Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 246 total)
  • RIP 26"
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don’t buy it, your average joe who rides an apollo or claud butler does not want to have a million wheel sizes neither do they replace their bike as often as most forum users. So the 26 inch bike is here to stay.

I can tell you right now it goes a LOT further than that! 29/27.5 wheels are still very much a niche thing, bought by those that read the forums and magazines. I e not worked in the trade long but in about 5 weeks working in a bike shop we e not had a single 29er come in for a service and only one person has expressed an interest to me in the 29ers we have in stock.
    People are, I think, seriously overestimating their popularity.

mrmoofo

How can moving a 29er take less effort ?

To move a bike forwards 10 metres , you will have to move the wheels through 10 metres at their circumference.

Unless Newton’s Laws are being ignored, it will take the same effort !! Energu is conserved – so energy in = energy out

GEDA
    Free Member

I think since the primary reason for me mountain biking is that it is fun then smoothing everything out is not so important. I ride my hardtail instead of my full suss as it is more fun

yet you have suspension.

Less suspension though. I had a pair of 160mm forks on my hardtail and they were rubbish so now they have 130mm forks.

How much of 29ers going faster is the fact that if you run the same gear range as a 26er you are effectively running higher gears and therefore go faster?

It doesn’t work as simple as that, 29ers roll faster. Once moving less effort is needed.

Do you not mean that they roll over roots/rocks better and the extra weight means they have more momentum once moving? Most of the trails I ride are 90% smooth and the rest rocky/rooty. These are also the ones that are twisty and require a lot of acceleration/deceleration so I will be interested to see how the 29er rides. There is one up hill I am looking forward to testing the 29er on where you loose a lot of speed on little rock steps. Should be interesting to see what difference it makes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, do we take it as a given that whatever is on at the big shows in the states is what we will all be riding?. Were there any steel hardtails there?. No, thought not. I am not a Luddite, I just can’t see 26 ever dying, too much money in the supply chain for that to happen.

JCL
    Free Member

How can moving a 29er take less effort ?

To move a bike forwards 10 metres , you will have to move the wheels through 10 metres at their circumference.

Unless Newton’s Laws are bing ignored, it will take the same effort !!

Are you serious?

BTW I’m not pleased about 27.1″ replacing 26″. It’s pure blatant marketing. 29″ on the other hand offers potential geometry advantages from 26″. Specialized’s stance on this issue is The best out there IMO. They make almost every bike right up to the S-Works Enduro’s in 26″ and 29″ and are leaving it up to the market to decide without jumping on the 27.1″ bandwagon. No doubt they’ll be forced to eventually though which is a shame as it would have been interesting to see how a 26″ and 29″ model line up would have panned out.

rOcKeTdOg

Why are you two so insanely pleased about this? It’s a victory for marketing and yet another pointless new standard.

I couldn’t care less really, I don’t own a 26″ wheel bike. I just thought Chipp’s views were interesting as he is there talking to the manufacturers atm. If you are happy with your bike I’d not panic if things turn out as predicted it won’t be obsolete over night

tinybits
    Free Member

I still want to see the comparative test of the 29er rolled down a slope and along a track v’s a 26er, shod with the same tyres, using the same hubs, with the same rider and both from a standing start. that’s then let me know if the slower acceleration of the 29er is made up by the less loss of momentum as it rolls over the obstacles.

Add in a few corners to and you’d soon see how much advantage this actually was.

However, bike tests done in this way are way to German. I’m just very pleased that I’m happy with my bike, I’ve just had a bearing service and it should be good to go for the next 18 months so I can get on with riding whilst the market settles down. I dare say I’ll be quite happy with my next bike as well, whatever the wheel size then is.

phil.w
    Free Member

26in bits will be around for years. Just like 9sp and 8sp, and 7sp components

Aye, it’ll be around but consigned to Halfords and Sports Direct.

Try buying a £500+ bike with 8spd, by this time next year I’d be surprised if any bikes from the big brands even have 9spd.

Manufacturers can only afford to run 3 lines to fit all wheel sizes if prices go up to cover lower volume production runs.

If some think 27.5 is faster and others claim it’s not noticeably different, then it’s a win-win over 26in as far as manufacturers are concerned.

GEDA
    Free Member

10 speed. Another useless standard. Why not just save weight by having the 10 speed rings/thinner chain but ditch one of the extra rings?

mrmoofo

Are you serious?

Yes, so now I have admitted that I don’t understand the rational, please explain it?

in simple worlds of 2 syllibles – because I’m fining it hard to understand

wrecker
    Free Member

They just needed something new to sell to those of us who don’t like 29ers. Almost every review I’ve read has stated no or very little discernible difference between 650b and 26″.
    I understand 29ers, they are different enough to co-exist with 26″, but 650b is purely here to get us to part with our money. Pretty shameless IMO.

officialtob
    Free Member

All this 26 vs 27.5 vs 29 debate is a nightmare for people like me; e.g. the slightly less knowledgeable buyer.

I’m going to be in the market for a new bike this year, and am 100% completely stumped on what would be best – and to be honest, it’s putting me off biting the bullet and making the commitment.

Wonder how many others like me there are..

kimbers

Interesting article

I think the thread should have been called RIP 26 & 29:

despite years of heavy pushing by mags, industry, early adopters the 29er has failed to capture the market, I imagine that 650b will take over the market eventually -that decisions already been made- with 26ers or 29ers just another quirky affectation. like single speeds, fat bikes and beards

Im sure that WC xc racers will still ride 29ers and plenty of serious amateur xc racers too but those bikes will also be on carbon tubs with a fixed seatpost,one piece narrow bar/ drop stem, bottle cage, 100mm max suspension
    something like this

meanwhile the rest of us will be on our 650b 120-160mm all mountain fun machines with chunky tyres, dropper posts, wide bars, slack head angles,

marsdenman
    Free Member

Is it a fashion thing? Or is there a real advantage? The less hype-prone riders and journos who’ve ridden both will all agree that there’s not a great deal of appreciable difference. However, they’re bigger wheels and bigger wheels are in.

nuff said, Chipps.
    26″ stuff going to be ‘cleared out’ you say? Bring it on, – i’ll stock up in advance of the forthcoming 28.25″ armageddon…… 🙂

timbo678
    Free Member

I love my 650b, which may be awkward but makes no difference if it is marketing or otherwise – no one is forcing you to buy one or the other so chill out and enjoy the fact that our sport is one prepared to put so much in to R&D

JCL
    Free Member

Are you serious?
    Yes, so now I have admitted that I don’t understand the rational, please explain it?

in simple worlds of 2 syllibles – because I’m fining it hard to understand

Rolling resistance. We’re not talking about smooth tarmac are we? Think about the reduced strike angle of impacts on the larger wheel.

fathomer

officialtob – Member
    All this 26 vs 27.5 vs 29 debate is a nightmare for people like me; e.g. the slightly less knowledgeable buyer.

I’m going to be in the market for a new bike this year, and am 100% completely stumped on what would be best – and to be honest, it’s putting me off biting the bullet and making the commitment.

Wonder how many others like me there are..
    Me, I had all but made my mind up on what I was buying, now I’m a little hesitant to be honest.

nickc

For me, mountain bike riding is partly about the grrr, don’t laugh, deep down it probably is for you as well, that’s why the jump spot has groups of lads at it, it’s why we like to ride around in gangs, because we’re showing off to each other. I’m probably in the group that represents the biggest resistance to the whole idea of 29ers, the long travel hard tail brigade, I ride a Chameleon with a reasonably stiff fork on it, I like to think that when people see it I the car park at places like Afan they give a little knowing nod and say to themselves…”Stupid arse” but their second thought is probably ..”Hard though” Ok, so they stop at stupid arse, but it’s what’s going on in my mind that’s important here…
    The thing is 29ers look like prancing show ponies, not like grrr mountain bikes. Don’t bother putting up images of 29ers that you think look grrr, (they just don’t) If you want to see an image of what a proper mountain bike should look like go search for somafunk’s polished hummer. I’m even willing to believe that all the positive things they say about 29ers are probably true, who am I to say they’re lying? I’ve ridden 2, and the longest test was mostly just an extended car park ride.
    But you’ll never ever convince me that they look like they mean business. And on that strength alone I’ll resist buying one for as long as I can and it’s why I think they’re a passing fad, because I bet I’m not the only one who thinks like that.

mrmoofo

Rolling resistance. We’re not talking about smooth tarmac are we? Think about the reduced strike angle of impacts on the larger wheel.

yes, i undertsand that bit. But the stike angle differnce is around 7% (i think)
    How is rolling resistance much faster … just because of the “hit angle”?

ononeorange

Didn’t we decide a couple of days ago that the 29er faster thing is just an optical illusion? (Although I wasn’t convinced but have nothing to back it up with).

Well, I ride both and won’t be getting rid of my 26″ wheels any time soon. Love ’em both.

bol

I looked at the title and started to get excited that Niner were diversifying into little wheels.

JCL
    Free Member

yes, i undertsand that bit. But the stike angle differnce is around 7% (i think)
    How is rolling resistance much faster … just because of the “hit angle”?

Yep. Although I think the wheel size/rolling resistance thing is overstated.

ransos
    Free Member

True, but larger wheels also require more effort to accelerate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and once again the biggest factor is the bit in the middle with the legs and the arms

JCL
    Free Member

True, but larger wheels also require more effort to accelerate.

Yes but how many times do you loose all your speed while riding and have to accelerate up to the previously attained speed V’s having to just maintain speed through terrain?

I’d say It’s 80% the latter for me.

klumpy
    Free Member

The simple fact is that when you come to buy a new bike in a few years, it won’t have 26in wheels, that’s all.

It’s going to be very interesting…
    No, it isn’t, it’s the opposite. It is un-interesting, it is anti-interesting, it is to interesting what black is to white, it is the thing that if banged into some interesting would annihilate both and release an amount of energy proportional to the speed of light squared.

Interesting, it is not.

Serious failure to check facts there by the editor.

(It is not interesting.)

ransos
    Free Member

Yes but how many times do you loose all your speed while riding and have to accelerate up to the previously attained speed V’s having to just maintain speed through terrain?

I’d say It’s 80% the latter for me.

On lumpy, twisty terrain (the sort I ride most often) I spend a great deal of time accelerating an decelerating.

andytherocketeer

26in bits will be around for years. Just like 9sp and 8sp, and 7sp components

Aye, it’ll be around but consigned to Halfords and Sports Direct.

In about 10-15 years time perhpaps.
    The 90% that go in to a shop and just buy a bike wouldn’t care less. A bike is a bike.
    The 10% that tinker and self build and post on STW all day, will have got through 2 more bikes between now and then. Who is going to put a full set of brand new hope hoops and a grands worth for Fox on a 15yr old frame? Given that several 26in forks (fox?) already take 650b wheels now, then the right choice of 650b forks on a older 26in frame/wheels probably wouldn’t hurt things too much anyway. Oh assuming it has the right head tube / steerer diameter. But by then, you’d prolly be wanting a new bike 😉

EhWhoMe

Ive just gone 650b.. i just felt like giving something new a shot for the hell of it really as life is indeed quite short.

Initially i thought oh this feels a bit different not massive but its different.. then i thought well its new bike so it will even if it was 26 its a new different bike.
    However it did just feel balanced and right, again i thought naar its just new bike exitement…

Then my mate says go on then give me a go, he has a similar travel / style of bike but 26″ we swapped..with in seconds of getting on his 26″ i was just blimey.. this feels just wrong… i cant explain how or why with any techno blah about speed or rolling better as im sure thats marginal…. but it seems i prefer the bigger wheel..

so in summary i noticed the “im not going to say benefits” but will say the overall nicer seemingly more suitable for its intended purpose of being an off road bike more when i went back to the 26″ than i did when i went up to the 650b..dont know or understand how/why but thats my take..i like it it just felt right to me.

that will be 2p please

oh type of riding preferance if it matters 30/40 mile days out Lakes/Dales/Peaks Pennines in general… i think its called trail riding or something

officialtob
    Free Member

Ive just gone 650b.. i just felt like giving something new a shot for the hell of it really as life is indeed quite short.

This is the way I’m feeling right now…. may just end up going for it just because I fancy it. 🙂

jambon
    Free Member

YAWN.

bigrich

26″ bikes are as good as they can really get. therefore you only need to buy a new one when your current one breaks; but if we make a new standard that is amazing, we can sell people with perfectly capable functional bikes an entirely new one! Yes!

wrecker
    Free Member

26″ bikes are as good as they can really get. therefore you only need to buy a new one when your current one breaks; but if we make a new standard that is amazing, we can sell people with perfectly capable functional bikes an entirely new one! Yes!

Absolutely. This whole marketing exercise could backfire; I’m now not open to buying a new frame/wheels/fork. I shall run mine until it’s not repairable, and wheel spares (internals, spokes etc), tyres and fork spares (which will be the same as 650b spares) are all going to be readily available for a long, long, long time. “Upgrade” time will only come when my frame fails and spares aren’t available AND there are no 26″ frames out there I want.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ll stick with 26″ for as long as possible because I’ve finally got a full sus frame I’m happy with and can’t be arsed trying to find something that feels as good with bigger wheels. I doubt I’d find anything as fun either. I don’t like my bikes to be really stable and planted, it’s boring.

That being said I’m tempted to build up a lightweight 29er rigid singlespeed to get out and off road locally. A Voltage is a bit overkill for Northants, would rather ride my road bike than slog that around 😛

Kryton57

wrecker – Member

Absolutely. This whole marketing exercise could backfire; I’m now not open to buying a new frame/wheels/fork. I shall run mine until it’s not repairable, and wheel spares (internals, spokes etc), tyres and fork spares (which will be the same as 650b spares) are all going to be readily available for a long, long, long time. “Upgrade” time will only come when my frame fails and spares aren’t available AND there are no 26″ frames out there I want.

+1 ‘cept at upgrade time I’m open to trying new frame sizes and will have watch the banter with interest.

wrecker
    Free Member

+1 ‘cept at upgrade time I’m open to trying new frame sizes and will have watch the banter with interest.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m open to 650b (and it doesn’t look like there will be a huge amount of choice). Unless my wheels and fork (which cost me a lot of money) are still perfectly serviceable. They’ve just made upgrade time hugely expensive, and I’ll avoid it if I can.

Kryton57

Also, you realise we’ve already fallen for it don’t you, i.e:

Somewhat respected bike journo put devisive comments re 650b on large bike forum and promotes mass debate (pun intended) over larger wheels shocker.

Way to go marketing 650b STW, you’re either part of it or you fell for it – just another part of the industry “sucker” machine doing your bit to ensure continuity of revenue into the corporations.

Northwind

bigrich – Member

26″ bikes are as good as they can really get. therefore you only need to buy a new one when your current one breaks;

The only thing that will stop 26 inch wheeled bikes getting better is if every manufacturer chooses to stop developing them. We’re not at any sort of natural plateau that requires a change.

hora
    Free Member

I’m starting a Chris King and Hope 26 wheel amnesty.

Could you kindly forward me your discarded 26″ wheels please.

BillOddie

29ers I get and I would quite like one. They are DIFFERENT to 26in wheels.
    There (as others have stated) clearly some advantages to a 29er wheel. probably some disadvantages too.

27.5 (which isn’t really 27.5 is it) seems completely marketing driven with barely any discernible difference based on the vast majority of stuff I have read. (And I have read a lot!)

I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face but I really don’t want to switch to 27.5 out of principle.

However, give it a couple of years, getting a (nice) new fork or a (nice) set of wheels for a 26in bike will become a bit of a PITA.
    It’s already happening with 1 1/8 steerer forks that are longer than 140mm, they are starting to become Taper steerer only.

I think you’ll start to see product lines being whittled away from XC -> DH/DJ, until the only good quality 26in stuff you can buy will be DH kit. But even DH kit sounds like it’s on the way out. I guess the Dirt Jumpers and Slopestyle riders (all 1000 of them in the world) will still want 26in kit? or will they stick with 24in or move to 27.5?

I think mountain bikers will fall into 2 camps with regard to this change, some with jump on the 27.5 bandwagon as they have to have the latest and greatest.

Others will actually put off buying anything so not to by immediately obsolete product.

I’m falling into the latter camp for the time being.
    Though I might buy a rigid 29er and ignore the BS hype machine for a couple of years and just ride my bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 246 total)

The topic ‘RIP 26"’ is closed to new replies.