Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riot and revolution
  • nick1962
    Free Member

So the muppets who went on Facebook urging people to riot have had their 4 year sentences upheld by the appeal court.
    So what happens if I start a Facebook group urging social uprising and revolution,including takeover of the Stock Exchange,banks and financial institutions without compensation and a wholesale redistribution of wealth ( along the lines of the old labour manifesto!) .
    Will I go to jail?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes.

donsimon
    Free Member

Suck it and see.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

No.

Unless people take you seriously and it starts to happen. [crosses fingers and wishes you luck/]

Olly
    Free Member

i’m not sure i approve.

until they have acutally commited a physical offence, i dont think anyone should be charged. What happened to free speech?

same goes for that chumpp in scotland who got sent away for posting things like “i hope all celtic fans die”

bit extreme i know, but he is allowed to have his opinion surely?

kimbers

yeah but i bet it gave some geriatric daily mail readers a hard-on for the 1st time in many years

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What happened to free speech?

It never existed….

Nipper99
    Free Member

conspiring to offend, attempted murder – no physical act. So thats just extreme expression?

MrNutt
    Free Member

matches for sale.

althepal

What happened to the guy who tweeted (apparently jokingly) that he was gonna blow up an airport cos it was closed?
    Think there was a big campaign to raise money for his defense?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Will I go to jail?

Not a chance. It is an important aspect of keeping up the pretence that the society we live in is a real democracy, that all political points of view must, without exception, be tolerated – no matter how hostile they might be to the existing social order.

It is this illusion of democracy, along with heavy marketing, which keeps the masses suitably docile and compliment. They will certainly not risk shattering it all by restricting certain political points of views. And they are perfectly comfortable and secure in the knowledge that should things go pear-shaped and turn ugly, the army will step in……so there’s simply no need for it.

Locking up looters gets you votes, locking up lefties gets you in trouble – best only do it if absolutely necessary.

iDave
    Free Member

social uprising and revolution,including takeover of the Stock Exchange,banks and financial institutions without compensation and a wholesale redistribution of wealth

Is that what you’re suggesting on this public forum?

Northwind

Lord Judge does seem to have a fairly paranoid opinion of social media sites…

TBH, I don’t agree with the sentencing at all here. Not that I’m in favour of rioting, but realistically this was never going to incite a riot. It’s like walking up to a crowd of strangers and saying “Right chaps, let’s rob a bank”- you’d never end up in court for that because there’s no likelihood of any banks getting robbed. Obviously it’s not a requirement that the plan has to come to fruition, but there has to be some credible claim that it might have done.

I’d consider it an offence more or less on the level of kids walking down the high street singing “Let’s go ****ing mental”- irritating, and moronic, but not actually a precursor to going ****ing mental.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riot and revolution’ is closed to new replies.