Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Ring Doorbell prince increase
  • mashr
    Free Member

Twodogs
    Another vote for “can’t see the point”….if i want to know who’s at the door, I just open it. Also, it’s no exaggeration to say that 80% of delivery drivers knock on the door (despite no knocker) rather than ring the doorbell

I’ve spent a lot of the last 5 years working from a shed in the garden. Delivery people can knock as hard as they want (or ring a normal door bell) but I won’t be hearing them.

The subscription part is (potentially) useful as the camera covers access to the garage. Hoping never to have to test out that usefulness at any point.

Something that stores locally sounds like a good alternative

footflaps

Hoping never to have to test out that usefulness at any point.

All the bike / moped thieves in Cambridge are fully masked up. We have a whole FB group dedicated to their antics, mainly full of videos of masked people…

funkmasterp

How did the world function before the doorbell subscription 😱 parcels abandoned everywhere, delivery drivers crying, overwhelmed by all the cake that can’t be delivered (and must be eaten) and unmasked bike thieves running cycling here and there!

gowerboy

The Ring doorbell rings throughout the house, a door knocker does not.

I haven’t got either a knocker or a ring.

People generally open the door and shout…

flicker
    Free Member

The conservatives should hire Rings marketing department, landslide tory victory judging by the number of people suckered into a subscription doorbell service, that doesn’t work very well 😀

Drac

I got a camera doorbell in part for security, also because I work nights and will look on the phone to see if it’s even worth answering, I may be in the garden or bath. Came in handy when an Amazon driver walked off with my parcel but claimed it was in a safe place.

mogrim

Subscribing to your door. Madness! 😂

Can’t see that happening in our house.

dovebiker

Got a Ring doorbell, security light on the garage and a stick-up camera. We have very little crime here, so it’s more of a case looking to see whether it was a cat/hedgehog/deer/otter or pine marten setting it off at 2am. The stick-up camera is used to watch the hedgehogs feeding or whether it’s a rat or weasel that’s burrowing into the garden stone wall. Will see how much the renewal is when it arrives.

scotroutes

We were requested this in our old house. What was the postie/delivery person meant to do if we were out?

How would having a video doorbell help if you’re out?

Cougar

Leave the door unlocked so the delivery driver can just leave it inside?

That might work in Royal Tonbridge Wells, less so in Burnley with three indoor cats.

How would having a video doorbell help if you’re out?

It can connect to your phone so you can advise them what to do.

Cougar

I haven’t got either a knocker or a ring.

People generally open the door and shout…

Jesus Christ, seriously? I have enough problems deterring people who have a key from just wandering on in.

scotroutes

It can connect to your phone so you can advise them what to do.

Assuming you get a connection and the driver is hanging around for a chat.

hot_fiat

Had 4 ring devices. They’ve all gone. The software got slower and slower to the point that some of the recordings had people teleporting around the place.

Ive replaced the doorbell with a Netatmo device.  Its ok. A little flakey, but has integrated local storage and can supposedly sync to an FTP site or direct to Dropbox.  no subscription and no cloud dependency is good. I think it might be iOS only though.

Cougar

Assuming you get a connection and the driver is hanging around for a chat.

Honestly, it’s not a feature I need. If I’m out I’d rather they left a delivery with a neighbour or came back later, and one would hope this is common sense for a delivery driver. But you could if say you were 30 seconds away and they were playing Knock-a-Door Run. There is a lag on initial connection to the phone but it’s not huge, several seconds at worst.

CountZero

Leave the door unlocked so the delivery driver can just leave it inside?

Are you completely out of your tiny little mind? Fair enough if you have a front entrance vestibule-type setup with the door into the house actually locked, however my front door opens directly into the hall with front rooms directly off the hall right by the front door.

Also, it’s no exaggeration to say that 80% of delivery drivers knock on the door
    and then runaway if you don’t answer in less than 0.00001 seconds!

It’s funny how many ignore my doorbell button that’s exactly at eye-level, and instead thump on the door. The delivery I had this evening did actually have the driver ring my doorbell, and by the time I got up and opened the door, about ten feet away, he was the other side of the road. He knew I was in, the lights are on, and he left it on the doorstep.

I was considering getting a Ring system, but now having second thoughts.

matt_outandabout

Had 4 ring devices.

Blimey. That’s some size chateau.

If I’m out I’d rather they left a delivery with a neighbour or came back later,

Exactly. Perfect excuse to maintain neighbourly relations with the neighbours.

funkmasterp

Are you completely out of your tiny little mind? Fair enough if you have a front entrance vestibule-type setup with the door into the house actually locked, however my front door opens directly into the hall

Mine opens in to the dining room and I’m with scotroutes on this.

hot_fiat

That’s some size chateau

A doorbell, two cameras and a combined camera light, which was supposedly PIR driven, yet somehow had to initiate communication with Amazon before it would turn the lights on.  It was all shite.

doomanic

In true STW tradition I haven’t checked the thread to see if this link has been posted…

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2024/02/ring-doorbell-increases-price/

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Subscribing to your door. Madness! 

Wait till you hear they are also subscribing to their thermostat, fridge and washer.

Can’t help but be amused when tech fanbois/evangelists on the spectrum hero’s rip them off. The coming to terms with it and justifying the new normal is the best bit. We like nice things don’t we!

xcgb
    Free Member

Get a few dogs, no need for a doorbell ever then! no subscription but food is pricey!

bobbyspangles

I’m more interested in subscribing to a regular cake delivery.
    do they do that?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s funny how many ignore my doorbell button that’s exactly at eye-level, and instead thump on the door.

I think they’re used to a lot of people’s doorbells not working so they take the safe, old-school option.

Mine is a bit unreliable TBH, sometimes needs a couple of presses before it dings.

Fortunately, I have a sizeable passage where the delivery people can put their packages if I’m not in.

theomen

I pay €4PM for my Google Nest doorbell and 5 cameras being recorded for 30 days.  Mind you it’s only sounds and detected movement that’s record, not 24 hours a day.

winston
    Free Member

You guys with the doorbells might be interested in this:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bmw-launches-heated-seat-and-steering-wheel-subscription-service-uk

(I honestly had to check the date as thought it was April fool)

guest1
    Free Member

Fortunately, I have a sizeable passage where the delivery people can put their packages 

lucky delivery people! 😉

hot_fiat

@winston thankfully the consumer beat bimmer. https://www.thedrive.com/news/bmw-is-giving-up-on-heated-seat-subscriptions-because-people-hated-them

That’s the really irritating thing about Ring. The hardware is bloomin’ great. The software and backend is, like anything running on AWS, flakey at best, then it’s all managed by an organisation who make Nestle look like a nice bunch of guys. I was really hoping someone would have rooted at least the doorbells by now.

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, I’m a bit late to teasing OP about the thread title, but do you only pay extra if you live on Alphabet Street?

chakaping
    Free Member

lucky delivery people! 😉

You haven’t seen the state of it though.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The only thing more satisfying is seeing nerd culture corporatised and said nerds feverishly at the front of the queue with their wallets open “finally we have got the recognition we deserve” followed by the slow realisation of the cash cow they have become!

kelvin

It was Flickr for me.

irc

Parcels? If we are out the driver leaves them in the summerhouse. Low crime area though, wouldn’t work everywhere.

They are useful though. Like the GP doing a house call. No reply at the door but a conversation via ring established the patient needing the doctor had sold that house 6 months before. Seems when NHS24 took the call they filled in the address field from previous calls without actually asking “do you still live at”.

Luckily the new address was in the same town. not too far away.

zilog6128

The only thing more satisfying is seeing nerd culture corporatised

@chestercopperpot except, nerds don’t use Ring, we use pro-gear like Ubiquiti and/or our own locally hosted cobbled-together DIY systems 😂 Ring is for the clueless/techno-illiterate who buy off-the-shelf stuff in Currys!!

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.