Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Ring Doorbell prince increase
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

So, along with the rest of the world, yesterday I got the “thanks for your loyal custom, here’s a 40% price increase to show how much we appreciate you” email from Ring for their protect plan. This is following a 50% increase the previous year.

It’s caused enough of a stir to make BBC News front page.
    I was that impressed by their arrogance that I’ve now cancelled the renewal. It’s paid up until November so I’ve got a while to ponder this next question…

What video doorbell without subscription?
    Current recommendations seem to be toward Eufy. We had a blink one before but returned within a couple of days because it was shockingly slow. Although our ring one seems to have become worse lately – my son walked through the door and was stood in the kitchen chatting to me for a while before I got a movement notification on my phone.

jca

Is it now a King rather than a Ring?

Poopscoop

If they supply a prince with every doorbell, that’s not a bad price really.

dawson

Got to fund the New Power Generation somehow

pocpoc
    Free Member

Damn, missed the 15 minutes edit. Ah well.

Cougar

I’m in the same boat, almost cancelled in a fit of pique.

Point of note though, the subscription is for recording/playback. If you don’t need that feature then it’s free.

davosaurusrex

Yeah, also unimpressed. I’m thinking of keeping it for the light, alarm etc and adding another one hardwired to a storage device, which would also get over the issue with the Ring that cheap WiFi jammers can nobble them. Any recommendations for that sort of thing?

multi21
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the £80 option is also going up?

zilog6128

lol 😂

nbt

Another one here looking to change

I’m thinking of keeping it for the light, alarm etc and adding another one hardwired to a storage device, which would also get over the issue with the Ring that cheap WiFi jammers can nobble them. Any recommendations for that sort of thing?

Ring’s prices are going up: Here are three alternatives that are free to run

I’m looking at the blink full system (the doorbell plus a “sync” module that allows you to plug in  a USB and store locally)

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’ve been looking also… my 1st thought was Google Nest….but FM its £120 a year ( they also did a big P take price rise). My subs don’t run out till 20 December so I’ll be looking to change if there is a good one to replace

peterno51

Got Eufy about 6 months ago for exactly that reason.

Got the door bell and a couple of cameras with the local storage. Works really well.

Got a funky exterior light/camera s100 combo to go up when it stops blink-ing raining…

northernmatt

my 1st thought was Google Nest….but FM its £120 a year

If you want 24/7 recording yes, otherwise it’s £60, but you can also include any other Nest cameras you have in that as well. For doorbell only it’s expensive but if you have a full Nest setup it’s fairly good value. We have the doorbell but haven’t paid for the subscription so only get 3hrs history of triggered events.

Drac

I went with Eufy from the off as I didn’t want to pay for a subscription.

binners

Can you imagine going back in time 20 years and complaining to your younger self about the price increase on your doorbell subscription? Then telling your now obviously incredulous younger self that this has featured as a major issue on the BBC news.

Life comes at you fast, eh? 😂

martinhutch

Someday my Prince will come, but my Ring doorbell won’t alert me until he’s given up and driven off in his van.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I think I could count on my fingers the number of times my doorbell has been used in the last 12 months. Do you just have people turning up at random times your not expecting? Is your house so cavernous you can’t just answer the door? I’m lost on the use case.

martinhutch

In theory you can answer it when you’re out (on your phone), but as mentioned, I found the lag time so long that no self-respecting delivery driver would wait around for you to answer. I think half of them didn’t even bother pushing it (because they know this).

Sent it back for a refund in the end. The subscription model also grated with me, didn’t realise you couldn’t even store your own ‘clips’ on your PC, but had to use their system.

Anyone who pays 50 quid for the privilege needs their head wobbled.

Jamze

Does anyone know if the £80 option is also going up?

No, it’s the basic subscription increasing from £3.49 to £4.99. Premium stays the same (for now).

Mine works pretty well, also use it to keep an eye on the oil tank/shed/workshops/bikes/wildlife so worth it to me.

doomanic

I’ve got a Blink doorbell with the sync module. I had a Ring but binned it off when the sub went up last year. The Ring is definitely better than the Blink but I also have a few Blink cameras dotted around so sticking with one brand seemed sensible.

zilog6128

I think I could count on my fingers the number of times my doorbell has been used in the last 12 months. Do you just have people turning up at random times your not expecting?

pre-covid I would’ve agreed with you, however we get loads of deliveries these days! And not everyone gives you a time slot (or sticks to it). It’s very useful for screening callers as well without having to twitch the curtains 😂 So yeah, I wouldn’t be without one these days.

gowerboy

I have no idea what this thead is all about.

You could get a knocker instead of a ring? May be cheaper.

Cougar

You could get a knocker instead of a ring? May be cheaper.

The Ring doorbell rings throughout the house, a door knocker does not.

Doesn’t stop the dickheads from pressing the button and then immediately trying to stove the door in anyway, mind.

Caher

Can you imagine going back in time 20 years and complaining to your younger self about the price increase on your doorbell subscription?

or back 25 years ago to ….1999.

seems to be happening with all these subscription services: ie HP ink huge increase and Prime has added adverts.

noshki

Another who went with Eufy as I didn’t want to pay a subscription. Been very happy with it and also have a couple of their cameras.

matt_outandabout

Is this not how ALL subscription services are going to go?
    Cheap market entry to persuade either transfer away from traditional services/suppliers or adopt the technology. Then, once you’ve got a bazillion people signed up, whack up the costs hard to maximise return.

Alongside this you explore the Next Big Thing and look to bail from idea no.1, so eventually shutting down any development or support but who cares as the Next Big Thing is going well for you.

🤷‍♂️

zilog6128

the only off-the-shelf system I’d say is actually good is Unifi Protect, that is ££££ though (although there are no subscription costs).

I suppose it all depends whether you actually need to store/playback the footage 🤔 Or whether live footage is good enough. (obviously Ring is crap anyway due to the lag!)

Is this not how ALL subscription services are going to go?

not necessarily all but yes certainly these Amazon ones, I have made this point dozens of times on various Ring threads on here over the years 😃

funkmasterp

It’s very useful for screening callers as well without having to twitch the curtains

I do this by just not answering the door if I don’t want to.

The Ring doorbell rings throughout the house, a door knocker does not.

Cougar is known to spend a lot of time in the east wing orangery.

In all seriousness I never knew that they came with a subscription. Subscribing to your door. Madness! 😂

zilog6128

I do this by just not answering the door if I don’t want to.

didn’t know Mystic Meg was an STWer 😂

Cougar

Cougar is known to spend a lot of time in the east wing orangery.

😁 Joking aside, I work upstairs during the day. If a delivery driver is knocking on the door with a spongecake as is seemingly common, then in the unlikely event that I hear them they’re halfway down the road by the time I get to the door.

In all seriousness I never knew that they came with a subscription.

It’s an optional subscription, as I mentioned earlier.

matt_outandabout

Subscribing to your door. Madness! 😂

😆

funkmasterp

If a delivery driver is knocking on the door with a spongecake

Wait, what? I’d get a doorbell subscription if it meant regular deliveries of spongecake.

dc2.0

I’m on UniFi protect. Expensive to set up but good. Storage is on a local box, not in cloud.

here’s a thought : if you’re an Apple household with an iCloud+ (ie including more than the basic iCloud storage allowance), they have a fairly good cloud camera storage option called HomeKit secure video. You can either buy HomeKit Secure Video compatible cameras, or like I’ve done with my UniFi system, use Homebridge running on a raspberry pi (or other computer you’re willing to have running 24/7)  to sync into the Apple secure video cloud..

Twodogs

Another vote for “can’t see the point”….if i want to know who’s at the door, I just open it. Also, it’s no exaggeration to say that 80% of delivery drivers knock on the door (despite no knocker) rather than ring the doorbell

funkmasterp

Also, it’s no exaggeration to say that 80% of delivery drivers knock on the door

and then runaway if you don’t answer in less than 0.00001 seconds!

maccruiskeen

Can you imagine going back in time 20 years and complaining to your younger self about the price increase on your doorbell subscription?

I know – I don’t think there has ever been any dystopian future fiction written where the author imagines that some evil genius dreams up the concept of two-part pricing or door bells.

scotroutes

If a delivery driver is knocking on the door with a spongecake as is seemingly common, then in the unlikely event that I hear them they’re halfway down the road by the time I get to the door.

Leave the door unlocked so the delivery driver can just leave it inside?

matt_outandabout

Leave the door unlocked so the delivery driver can just leave it inside?

We were requested this in our old house. What was the postie/delivery person meant to do if we were out?

funkmasterp

Eat the sponge cake

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.