Rims – Light, 80/20 road/gravel, 700c, 32h – XR22/26/R460/Other

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rims – Light, 80/20 road/gravel, 700c, 32h – XR22/26/R460/Other
  • submarined

Building a set of mostly-road-but-some-gravel wheels on a set of 32h Hope RS4s.
    I need something not too spendy, tubeless ready, wideish for 35c tyres, and light. I’m erring towards Kinlin XR26s, is there anything better that won’t bankrupt me?
    I’ma scrawny bugger so makes it a bit easier, and running discs.
    Ta!

submarined

Up for the evening crowd….

ian martin
    Subscriber

I’ve Stans Grail and theyve been pretty good but I did pick up a couple of dents when touring offroad but then theyre not really made for that. Been true for the last 2 years of mixed riding.

submarined

Cheers. Unfortunately I’ve already ruled them out as they’re only rated to 45psi tubeless on 32s, even less on wider tyres.

ian martin
    Subscriber

Ive had them upto 60 psi on 32mm tyres before with no issues, must have missed the max psi rating. Although i’m not super heavy and I like to think I ride quite lightly off-road.

shedbrewed

Mavic XC421 was my specified rim for a pair of 32h tubeless ready wheels for the task you’re looking at. I ended up with DTSwiss XM421 after an order misread.
    Both are fine but the Mavic’s are cheaper and slimmer.

I also have Kinlin XR31T on my cx bike as tubeless dry race wheels and am pleased with them.

Premier Icon luket
    Subscriber

I just specced some H Plus Son Hydra rims for a bike for 80:20 road:off use and 35c tyres tubeless. I’ve only ridden the bike 3 or 4 times since building but they look lovely and compare to the likes of Grails on dimensions, weight and cost. IIRC it was the Iron Cross rims with that pressure limit though, rather than the Grails.

joemmo

H Plus Son Hydra? I’ve had the HPS Archetypes on a set of all purpose wheels for 5 years now and they are as true as ever and the finish is still great. Hydra is similar but disc specific.

joshvegas

R460s here built by me been great.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

+1 on the Hydras. I’ve run them tubeless with Nanos and currently with Vittoria Randonneurs & slimed tubes.

They’s stood up to my abuse quite well.

submarined

Cheers y’all. Tbh I can’t see what the Hydras offer that either of the others don’t, so I think I’ll run with the XR26s.
    There’s an asymmetric version available – as it’s a disc build, is it advisable to run this both front and rear?

Leon

I built some with those pacenti cl25 rims planet X were knocking out. No idea what the psi rating is, but I run them with 32mm road tyres tubeless, and usually run 45f/50psi back for pure road, lower for more mixed stuff. I really don’t think you’d want higher than that on any sort of wide tyre (I’m about 68kg, for what it’s worth)

kerley

I am using R460s tubeless with 25c tyres at high pressure (the DB version). Actual weight was 450g.
    No problems at all and went straight up tubeless even though not using tubeless ready tyres. Very much in the not spendy camp as they cost £20 each from Germany.
    The stickers also peel straight off to give me the all black rims I like.

mrb123

Open Pro disc? Pretty light but should be fine in 32h if you’re not a heavyweight.

Andy

Kerley where did you get the DT460 D rims from please?

submarined

Oooh, Open pro Disc is a good shout! Work discount and BC brings them to about 45 each from Evans.

ibnchris

seoncd Open Pros. Been running them for a while. About 60/40 probably…works well 🙂

submarined

Cool, thanks!
    Has anyone used a Gravelking/ UST combo? Is it likely to cause me a fitting headache? Or is it one that plays nicely?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rims – Light, 80/20 road/gravel, 700c, 32h – XR22/26/R460/Other’ is closed to new replies.