Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rims: Easton ARC 30 vs DT XM481
  • davewalsh
    Free Member

I’m after a set of wheels to run as standard 650b wheels on my Spitfire and also to try 650b+ on my Solaris. Have narrowed it down to the 2 above. Both the same weight, same width, similar price and tubeless ready.
    Is there any reason why I should choose one over the other ?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Plenty of reviews of the eastons, surely someone must know something about the dt’s ?

mucker

I had a set of 29″ flavour DTs XM481 built up late last year. My wheelbuilder said they were nice to build up (they come with the the sqorx nipples and washers), tbh I’ve not done a lot of riding on them yet but on first impressions (3 or 4 local rides, no trail centre stuff yet) they seem light, stiff and are the width I wanted. As you can imagine with something that size but that weight the metal seems mighty thin compared to my previous 26″ wheels but I guess DT know how to make these things work.
    r2bike.com were the best price by far.
    Not a lot more I can say, hope it helps.

poah
    Free Member

not much between them. my bro in law has the 30mm heist wheels and they are quite nice. the DT are more expensive though

benpinnick

If I was building an alu-rimmed wheel I would find it nigh on impossible to look past the DT rims at what ever the price point you’re after.

poah
    Free Member

no reviews for that rim yet, you’d be buying an unknown

benpinnick

This is true, but you’re buying the 30mm version of probably the best trail rim around… they can’t really have screwed it up in my mind 😉

Goldigger
    Free Member

Interested to see what the xm481 are like..I like to have a spare pair of wheels with different tyres mounted (tubeless)
    I’ve not been that impressed with my Stan’s flow exs on hope pro evos, there a bit flexier than I imagined.
    Also need to send them back as I’ve been through 3 sets of axle bearings in 1.5 years.

Almost bought a pair of DT XM1501 from RCZ as they were going for a ridiculous price..but wasn’t quick enough with the buy button.. Out of stock when I went back!

poah
    Free Member

doesn’t mean its better or stronger than the ARC rim. The rim profile is different between the ex471 and the XM481 so you can’t really say its a 30mm version of the ex471.

benpinnick

The rim profile is different between the ex471 and the XM481 so you can’t really say its a 30mm version of the ex471.

Aye, although I was thinking the 401 rim it replaces… a bit skinny nowadays but still a great trail option.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rims: Easton ARC 30 vs DT XM481’ is closed to new replies.