Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rimpact /pro vs Tannus tubeless armour
  • onedpete
    Free Member

I’m looking to chuck one or the other in atleast the rear wheel of the Bird. Was gonna go rimpact originally, but the new tannus insert, the tubeless one, not the one with the tube, is getting lots of love on the American sites. Anyone sampled both able to offer any wisdom?? Cheers

timnoyce
    Free Member

Not exactly answering your question as I’ve not used the Tannus, but I’ve been using the standard Rimpact inserts since September and I think they are absolutely spot on. Light, great protection and seem to be lasting well (I took them out to swap tyres and they look exactly like when I put them in) despite running pretty low pressures (15f 18.5r).

I read a lot of reviews and these seemed to get the best reviews for anything that wasn’t cushcore, and were a LOT cheaper.

I’d certainly have no issue recommending them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Shackleton

I use them inside exo/exo+ WT tyres. They are easy to fit and remove by hand using one normal tyre lever and do pretty much what it says in those reviews. I’ve only used the inserts that protect against rim damage before so can’t say much compared to cushcore but based on fitting ease alone I know which i’d go for!

On local loam /roots (limited rock) around my local Dundee and Dunkeld trails I’m running 19psi front and 21 rear, down 2psi compared to without tannus. No squirm and noticeably better traction. I don’t think that you would get the benefits with heavier casing tyres though so I’m sticking with exo level for now as I don’t need the sidewall protection for where I ride and I can’t see myself pinch flatting with these inserts.

bikesandboots

Thanks. It is rim damage that’s my only real concern, looking for something less disposable/sacrificial than a Huck Norris though. Basically a RockStop that isn’t 270g, that and Rimpact are the only ones that appeal from the STW group test. I guess these Tannus are like Rimpact/Pro in that they do more than just that, so might be also recommended for use in both tyres rather than just the rear. But I see plenty of people run Rimpact rear-only too.

I see @feed is running them here too: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lightweight-effective-tyre-insert/

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Slightly different but have just installed cushcore on a set of DHF2 and MM on WTB rims which are on a Chromag hardtail. There is a bit of weight added but frankly I couldn’t tell much when they were on the bike. Makes a huge difference – offered some incredible side wall support and I typically run silly pressures w/o inserts (18 and 21). The damping through the rough was impressive.

Installation was, I must admit easier than I thought it would be. The cushcore tyre lever is great and as long as you push the bead to the centre of the rim as much as possible it makes installation easy. The hardest part was removing the blasted MM from the front rim.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rimpact /pro vs Tannus tubeless armour’ is closed to new replies.