Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rim choice for commuter bike
  • Premier Icon bigginge

I need to get a new wheel set built up for the commuter bike (an old Cotic Roadrat) after the rear hub on my current set failed again.

I’m fairly happy with picking out some hubs for the build (some Shimano XT M8000 jobs that can still be had with QR skewers) but can’t decide what rims to go with.

I’ll probably be running tyres that are somewhere in the region of 32-38 mm wide so suspect a rim width of 20-22.5 mm wide would be good. This would lead me to think that I should be looking at either the XM 401 or XR 361 from DT Swiss but I’m not too sure how either will hold up under my “system” weight which is comfortably over 120kg.

Does anyone have any experience with the two options listed above, or have anything else to suggest for this sort of application?

Premier Icon joepud

For me I wouldn’t be dropping a lot on commuter rims as they will get destroyed. I have a set of Halo Whitelines + hubs which have been pretty bomb proof. cheap too.

https://www.halowheels.com/shop/wheels/road/white-line-700c-wheels/

Premier Icon bigginge

I should be able to get the rims and hubs listed above from Germany for not much over €200 so they should end up being a comparable cost to the halo wheels once I’ve added some aci spokes in. Could probably nock another €30 or so off if I drop down to the deore or SLX level hubs.

I guess I should probably just go with the slightly heavier/stronger option for now as they don’t need to be too light for what I need.

Premier Icon alexnharvey
    Free Member

Ryde Zac2000 rims are 12 quid each on eBay, plus the same again for postage, so 36 quid for a pair from Germany. Very solid for commuting. 19mm internal width.

Aren’t the whitelines rebranded kinlin rims? You could get a pair of various kinlins from spa for not much money.

Premier Icon cynic-al

36H might help for strength. Width not an issue as you won’t be running low pressures.

Why not use your existing rims?

Premier Icon kimura54321
    Free Member

Not disc specific but 36 hole rear / 32 hole front Rigida Sputnik would be my recommendation.

Practically indestructible and if you are running discs should last almost indefinitely even if you are 120kg.

£25 a pop from Spa, just about to change my rims this winter after 5+ years of commuting and the odd loses tour on them with V-brakes. If it’s a hub they stock, then they are happy to give you the spoke lengths if you are getting the bits from them.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p4235/RIGIDA-Sputnik-700c

Premier Icon bigginge

The existing rims are some 15 year old, 24 hole, mavic speed city UST jobs and I’m not sure I can get the little bits that hold the spokes out now (which will likely make fitting new spokes “fun”). So rather than fighting to get these onto some new hubs (or at least one new hub) I figured it was just time for a whole new set of wheels.

I’ve had good experience with building using the DT Swiss rims with PHR washers and squorx nipples so figured I would go for something similar on the commuter but can’t find much in the way of reviews on the narrower rims listed above.

The Ryde rims at SJS do look fairly bargain-tastic but I’m not sure I could live with myself if I put rim brake compatible parts on a bike without rim brakes. The do have some Mavic XM421s that might be worth a look though.

Premier Icon kimura54321
    Free Member

@bigginge – Might make it less likely to be pinched! 😉

SJS also sell disc specific Ryde Andras which are also bomb proof and wide enough, don’t look too bad in black actually come in 32-36 as well.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/32-ryde-andra-321-700c-622-rim-black/

According to Sheldon if the XM421s are 25mm inner / 30 mm outer then the minimum recommended tyre size is 44mm which could be a bit big for the frame if you are using mudguards.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

I’ve been using DT R460 rims on my commuter/CX/winter bike. I’m impressed by how well they’ve held up. The 511 is wider if that’s what you want.

I wouldn’t run XC rims on a commuter bike. I’ve got Crest’s on my CX bike and it’s a constant battle to keep them true. They’re fine when protected by big 2.1″+ tires, less durable when getting hammered with 35mm tyres. Stick with roadie rims.

Premier Icon bigginge

So, after a lot of faffing I decide to go with some DT Swiss RR 481 rims, despite not being able to find anything in the way of reviews on them.

I was almost tempted to go with the R 500 parts instead but wasn’t sure if they would be easy to set up tubeless with them being sleeved rather than welded.

I’ll try and remember to report back once they’ve been built up and have a few miles on them.

Premier Icon alexnharvey
    Free Member

Do you even commute bro? 😁

Nice rims.

Premier Icon bigginge

Do you even commute bro?

Not so much at the minute, no.

Premier Icon lucasshmucas

I’m 115kg and have been regularly carrying loads of another 20-30kg (split front and rear) on Andra 321 rims for over a year without a problem.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.