Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rim Brake Road Bike
  • pedlad

Looking to get a new good weather road bike, hopefully via Cycle to work.

Reasonably fit/fast for my age…but not light :->
    Rides vary from 30m – 100m+
    Not bothered about disk brakes
    Would like some carbon wheels circa 35 – 50mm deep
    Would consider self build – but makes cycle to work awkward
    Happy with Ultegra mechanical if it gets better frame wheels
    Budget ~£3000

Struggling to see past the Van Rysel CF ultegra Di2 on offer at the moment.
    Have ridden one around store and know it’s close to my current bike’s geo
    Just aware everyone is saying 2021 bikes are selling out fast (or is that just mtb)

Any other oblivious candidates I’ve missed

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If I had £3k to spend my inner snob would probably send me somewhere other than Decathlon? For that sort of money, I’d want a proper test ride too.

As for disks, it’s almost at the point where there are slim pickings for mid-high end bikes without them. There are cheap bikes, and there are a handful of pro-replica level bikes.

Bit wierd and left field for a summer road bike, but shows what you could have for <£3k.

Specialized Roubaix Ultegra DI2 £2799, limited sizes though. https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/15234/2020-roubaix-comp-shimano-ultegra-di2/

pedlad

Hear what your saying about brand snobbery but I’m reasonably immune (I have an On One (as well as a banshee):->)

If it means I can get a high end bike I’m prepared to overlook who the retailer is and this frame gets well reviewed and has stellar components for the money.

Those spez were all showing as >£4k on that link with average wheelsets.

P20

Reilly 3/25 Ultegra, £2899?

pedlad

Nice looking bike that Ti Reilly…but also identical looking to my current 17 yr old Specialized. That will be retained for bad weather / touring. Fancy a change for the best bike.

infidel
    Free Member

Cube Agree? If the size is right this may be a good choice – bikey

13thfloormonk

Bowman Palace 3C?

That’s probably my dream next build, aluminium, rim brake but clearance for slightly bigger tyres.

Have been impressed by various Ridleys I’ve seen, although they gradually seem to be phasing out discs.

Check out Basso as well, they’re being brought into UK now, I’d want to test ride but they look interesting certainly, good tyre clearance also.

w00dster

I’ve just bought a silly expensive Trek Emonda SLR, a friend has bought a bowman palace with a nice wheel upgrade. Only mechanical Ultegra, but I’m well impressed with it and somewhat jealous! The Bowman is where my money would be going…..in fact I’m still very tempted. Lovely looking bike. He has a couple of top of the range bikes and says the bowman is just as comfortable and climbs as well as those. Even though it’s aluminium it has a classic, even classy look about it.

w00dster

Basso been in the UK for a while, Cycle Republic being one of the distributors previously.
    This is a lovely looking bike….but it’ll be pricey.

https://diamantesv2021.bassobikes.com/en/

Endurancey end of the racing scale I believe, but looks very nice. The Astra is the more racey bike, I prefer the older model aesthetically, but you can still get a good deal on the 2021 version if it fits?

https://www.deporvillage.net/basso

Older model….. https://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachments/bikes-frames-forks/323992d1539226125-basso-diamante-vs-astra-6a23ed58-3b87-4a52-ae3d-1f4903977cfc.jpg

pedlad

That newer Basso is nice looking but possibly difficult to get for the right price and on cycle to work? I like the new orbeas too and making some enquiries, but again suspect I’d have to compromise a lot on groupset and wheels. Cannondale Caad13 may be worth a look if not disk only.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

If you can buy the bike without cycle to work then look at some of the ex-team bikes. A quick google should bring up a couple of sites selling ex-team kit and bikes. Some of the bikes seem reasonable value and you could pick up a bike with a little bit of history.

13thfloormonk

Those green and white De Rosas that one of the teams were selling off, mmmmmm….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rim Brake Road Bike’ is closed to new replies.