Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rim Brake Fairlight Strael
  • chribabe
    Free Member

Hi all, i’m in the market for a new Road Bike. I already have a Fairlight Secan and really like the way the bike handles. Now I thought about the Fairlight Strael as my roadbike, but I still wonder whether there is a rim brake road bike that would feel similar to the Strael on the road? Is somebody aware of such a road bike? Cheers:)

hatter

Not many ‘off the peg’ steel rim brake bikes left

Genesis Equilibrium?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Dom who is founder of Fairlight was one of the old Genesis designers and the man (or one of) who came up with the Equilibrium. I’d definitely say the Strael is “spiritual successor” to the Equilibrium, though the current Equilibrium is much more basic in terms of tubeset etc.

jameso

was one of the old Genesis designers and the man (or one of) who came up with the Equilibrium.

Not quite true ; )

The Equilibrum was a 208/2009 model in 853, then deep-drop brakes in 2010 with the more familiar format.

If you want light steel for rim brakes now I’d be talking to a custom builder, or looking at Standert’s range.
    oof yes please
    What I did was buy a Colnago Master frameset, haven’t looked back.

swdan
    Free Member

He’s also co-founder of Fairlight alongside Jon.

jfab

A Ritchey Road Logic frameset would be great if you can still get that as a rim brake? You certainly could in the last year or two but struggling to find a current one, my riding buddy has one and it’s really nice. I have a Swiss Cross Disc which is also great, but not what you’re after although that do a canti-braked version!

Cinelli Vigorelli Road I think is still available as a rim brake bike, but I don’t think the frame/tubing quality would be as good as a Fairlight.

If you don’t have to have steel, Kinesis Aethein still has classic looking round tubes and rides really nicely (from reviews, and personal experience) and saves you ~500g+ on frame weight. They seem to have stopped it as of the end of 2022 but still in stock online in some places.

Options seem to be slimming down though!

finbar
    Free Member

Rim brake steel road frame?

I’d hunt down a second hand Indy Fab/Pegoretti/Serotta etc. Or – off-the-wall choice – a Cervelo Renaissance.

What I did was buy a Colnago Master frameset, haven’t looked back.

Or that!

13thfloormonk

A custom 853 Rourke frameset wouldn’t cost much more than a Strael, depending on fork and paintjob choices.

Probably a six month wait though.

sandboy

Probably a six month wait though.

But well worth it. Get in the queue now and have it in time for the best weather.

13thfloormonk

But well worth it.

Yep absolutely, and you can spend the first five months deciding how to paint it 😎

I’ve just ordered a new carbon road frame but deep down am sort of wishing I’d gone 953 with deep drop brakes and 30mm tyres from Rourke. Next time maybe…

susepic

What about something from Condor…..a few rim-braked steel frames on their website…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.