Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rigid SUPs
  • zilog6128

Thinking about taking the plunge & getting a rigid SUP, can anybody in the know give some advice about which type & brand? Pretty sure I want rigid not inflatable as the lack of faff plus extra usability in windy/choppy conditions appeals. Want to try a bit of everything with it really so have been looking at all-rounder boards. Someone here mentioned having a look at the UK manufacturers who sell direct which sounds like a good shout.

Based on a bit of quick googling and seeing who will deliver (some seem to be collection only) and who actually has stock, Loco or Neptune look like options. Loco have a few sale boards (although even they aren’t that cheap, still £900 +postage for a package) but out of those probably the only suitable All-Rounder is the Amigo (seems well regarded online) but only in stock at 9’11 (would that be too small? I’m 5’9 approx 85kg all up)

Neptune are somewhat local (90 min drive) so could collect. Seem to have everything in stock and prices are WAY cheaper, £600 for all-rounder Mach 2 board + £100 for carbon paddle. Are they a decent quality brand? What sort of size should I be going for?

grip
    Free Member

I know this isn’t much help, but I use a Loco Amigo Isup and its brilliant. I can only imagine the hard version would be just as good if not better! If I were ever to change to a hardboard, I’d definitely consider buying another Loco – I love the look of the wood logger!

convert

9’11” sounds a bit small for an all round board for you at 85kg. Depending on shape OK for a little bit of surfing and generate wobbling around but probably a pain for going on a longer journey.

Loco do have a good reputation though.

We have touring length boards – 1 sup and 1 isup – the rigid is more tender and needs a little more care and attention but I prefer it and dread blowing up the other one. In choppy water it is a lot more pleasant to use though. An SUP of any flavour as a pita on windy day going upwind/crosswind though. A hoot doing a downwind leg on a the right board mind. I’ve got a 6 mile run along the coast in the right wind direction that is amazing although reliant on having enough brownie points in the bank for Mrs C to come pick me up.

Only thought – just because the isup CAN be deflated does not mean you have to. I have friends who leave their isup in its bag in the winter but blow it up and leave it up through the summer, strapping it to the roof like a rigid to cart it around.

grantyboy
    Free Member

I have a Starboard Widepoint 10’5″, it does everything from coastal touring to surfing in 6ft waves. Joe who owns Loco is another good choice. If your looking for an all round board you want something about 10ft+ and 30″ wide. That will cover you for pretty much everything. I started off on my Widepoint and still ride it now 7 years later, I really don’t know what I’d change it for. Should it break I’d buy the same again, maybe drop down wit 9ft now I’m more experienced

Just to add I’m 5’8″ 85kgs

mudder
    Free Member

In addition to Width and Length. Look at the quoted volume for the boards.
    I can paddle our smallest board (just) but its underwater. I’m about 90Kgs (on a good day, *cough)

We have a small flotilla of rigid SUP’s
    Naish 10.1′ (about 160 litres) with a more Wave orientated rocker
    Nah Skwell 11′ FIT (230 litres) more of a long distance river/coastal touring
    Nah Skell 8’4″ FIT (90 litres) which is my Daughters board (~50kg weight)

zilog6128

Thanks all, yeah think the Loco board probably a bit too small. Spent a bit of time on the phone with the bloke from Neptune talking through various options, going to pick up 11′ cruiser type board & carbon paddle tomorrow! (No problem with volume there!!)

Only thought – just because the isup CAN be deflated does not mean you have to. I have friends who leave their isup in its bag in the winter but blow it up and leave it up through the summer, strapping it to the roof like a rigid to cart it around.

yeah did consider that, does give you the flexibility, kind of sounds like the worst of both worlds though!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rigid SUPs’ is closed to new replies.