• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Rigid steel frame&forks SS with rack mounts
  • ctk
    Free Member

I’m trying to rationalise my collection of bikes. & I reckon if I could find a rigid steel SS f&f with rack mounts I could turn 3 bikes into 1.

This would be my commuter/ bike trailer puller and my MTB*

What bikes fit the bill? Any wheel size as long as it can take disc brakes.

Used or new.

ctk
    Free Member

*MTB as in local tame trails

Genesis IO, Genesis Fortitude would be cool anything else out there?

Clink

Stooge Scramber, Mk 4 (I think?)

honourablegeorge

Pipedream Sirius, Brother Big Bro and I think Nordest do one also.

ctk
    Free Member

Love the look of the Stooges, I see it more as a MTB than a do everything bike though- am I wrong?

Brother looks spot on, hadn’t seen those before.

andy5390

The new Big Bro frames are boost spacing, older models (mine – 2019) are 110/142

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

Take a look at the Shand Bahookie.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Fork mounts only on the Stooge mk4, but the – coming next month – mk5 has frame mounts too. Scrambler has both too (if you can get hold of one).

Mega versatile all in one bikes.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Unit, Longitude,

spooky_b329

My Bahookie has loads of mounts, I don’t know what half of them are for!

It’s a bit pricy to use as a commuter and leave outside shops though…

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

I think most surplus would fit the bill.

Krampus, ecr etc…

bri-72

Err, my Nordest Sardinho in the classifieds!

abingham

Pipedream ALICE would also fit the bill – had 2.8s in mine. This is assuming that your mountain bike requirements aren’t too extreme, although I did do BPM on mine (just)…

Bez

I’m just about to put an Inbred frame on eBay… 19.5”, 29”, gears or singlespeed. PM me today if it’s any use…

wbo
    Free Member

If you’re not fussy about wheel size any early 90’s bike should do the trick 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Love the look of the Stooges, I see it more as a MTB than a do everything bike though- am I wrong?

I’d argue that the other two requirements don’t really preclude an MTB, but it’s a lot harder to press something different into being a mountain bike.

The only caveat to that would be if the trailer can be addapted to a through axle or not. Even then there must be a modern-ish hardtail that’ll take 135mm QR hubs.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I love my Big Bro. Rigid, steel, loads of rack mounts, I run mine SS/29er and it’s perfect for me.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2msef9C]IMG_6497[/url] by Bindylou, on Flickr" alt="" />

andy5390

Well, if we’re doing a Big Bro love……..

kaiser
    Free Member

I’ve an old love/hate frame with ebb ,26 inch fits M/L ..then just source fork of your choice ..surly whatever.PM if any use would be around £100 . Was a brilliant ride in it’s time ..had it with Rohloff on the back.

ctk
    Free Member

Cheers for offers all. I’ve got a GT Peace that fits the bill minus rack mounts and I don’t have rigid forks.

I’m weighing up having some rack mounts put on plus finding some forks Vs buying a complete new set up.

Whilst on eBay for the perfect rigid SS I bought a Norco Sasquatch and a 90s Condor frame because they were cheap.

So in my effort to reduce bikes I’ve gone up 2. FFS

(I’ve also bought a Turner from the classifieds here but that’s for my lad- honest)

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ 🤣

‘I’m trying to rationalise my collection’

Tricky words include ‘ration’.

The word ‘collection’ is much easier to define 😉

ctk
    Free Member

😂7 MTBs is too many for sure. (NB some not built up) I would happily sell all but I can’t quite find the perfect one to replace them.

mick_r

It is fairly simple to fit your own rack mounts.

M5 or M6 dome nuts from Screwfix or Toolstation etc (sometimes they have stainless. If not, just file the zinc plating off regular steel ones).

Drill your frame to take the circular end of the nut. Silver solder in place (MAPP gas plumbing torch is plenty hot enough). 55% ish silver solder and a little bag of flux from ebay. Mix flux into a runny paste with water and cover everything before heating. Don’t get it too hot (flux will go clear and you want the metal evenly heated and just at the point of turning the faintest bit red).

ctk
    Free Member

I’d love to have a go but realistically it will never happen. If I end up getting it done I will leave it to a pro.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Rigid steel frame&forks SS with rack mounts’ is closed to new replies.