rigid sponge -like Fenwicks for chain cleaning

Home Forum Bike Forum rigid sponge -like Fenwicks for chain cleaning

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • rigid sponge -like Fenwicks for chain cleaning
  • Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

They are £2 and last ages. I just use a Fenwicks one.

Premier Icon dogxcd
    Subscriber

fair enough-how do you clean it?

Premier Icon dogxcd
    Subscriber

I think that I read some years ago about an alternative , cheaper , supply of the Fenwick chain sponge

many thanks for advice

cheers

dog

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

Most rides just a clean off with muc-off (or equivalent, spray that on the sponge and give the chain a few rotations), then re-lube with squirt. I’d give it a blast with the pink fenwicks every few rides in winter with the clamp on chain cleaner also, then the sponge.

Premier Icon dogxcd
    Subscriber

thanks mcnultycop
    my fenwicks sponge is impregnateed with black grease now-I saw on a video somewhere that they can be cleaned
    I don’t think Mrs would tolerate it in the washing machine….

daern

my fenwicks sponge is impregnateed with black grease now-I saw on a video somewhere that they can be cleaned

I use magic fairy shampoo which works extremely well for cleaning anything from cassettes to chains and sponges too. Just don’t get it into your bearings unless you intend to regrease them afterwards! 🙂

Premier Icon dogxcd
    Subscriber

excellent 😀

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

I give the sponge a quick rinse off at the end, and they are lasting Ok at the moment.

Premier Icon fatmax
    Subscriber

I’m pretty sure the Fenwicks cleaning products are water soluble so if you use those they should just rinse out.
    Met the brothers that run Fenwicks at the Tour of Britain – lovely lads.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.