Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rigid fork advice
  • toomuchtime
    Free Member

Good afternoon

I’m looking to go rigid on my Canfield EPO I’ve seen some exotic forks for £99 I’m currently running 140mm 29 sectors (losing ait) running stans baron 27.5 x 2.8
    Good idea or am I being a tosspot ??

Keep the faith

stumpy01

As long as the A2C length is similar, they should be OK.

I’ve got a set of them on my 26 Inbred & like them.

sirromj

Not sure you’ll get an axle-to-crown length on a rigid fork to match 140mm 29er forks. Might be wrong though, just never quite trusted their descriptions saying which suspension fork their rigid forks are equivalent to. I fitted Exotic “29er” forks to my 27.5″ mtb to get something roughly equivalent to 120/130mm 27.5″ forks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuelr
    Free Member

I found the exotic forks realy flexy. Was ok on my ss inbred 29er. I wouldn’t trust them for more than a bimble on canal paths tho.

sirromj

I’ve found them fine for lots of stuff that definitely doesn’t fit into ‘bimbal on canal path’ territory.

ajantom

Surly Krampus forks would give you something like the proper length.

samuelr
    Free Member

Sirromj- thats fine if you liked them. They felt like wet noodles to me and I’m 80kg so not exactly heavy.

sirromj

I know where you’re coming from, I’ve been using them for years, but to suggest they’re unsuitable for mountain biking beyond canal path bimbals is a big exaggeration.

sirromj

Also, the Exotics are just straight tubes, so impacts go straight up them whereas other fork designs have some bend in which (I presume) will reduce/soak-up some of the impacts? That’s something I’ve considered anyway.

pistola
    Free Member

I’ve used three different Exotic carbon forks on different bikes, the oldest being about 8 or 9 years, and yes they are a bit flexy but that’s the point for taking the ‘sting’ out. I’ve certainly used them on pretty technical stuff, waaayyy beyond canal path bimbling (and I’m 85kg). You won’t get forks to match the A-C of your 140 forks but remember you should factor in sag. I think the longest they do is 490mm A-C which is what I use on my hardtail which is designed for 120-130mm travel forks and the resultant geometry is fine. Sheds a whole lot of weight off the front end.

filks

I had some and they were very flexy in much shorter ‘26 inch wheel 100mm travel corrected’ format. I know that’s what they’re supposed to do to some extent but watching them bend when braking stopped me trusting them. I’m a bit weighty though

kerley
    Free Member

Good job you didn’t ever use Pace RC rigid forks then as then bent way more than Exotics.

Flexing under braking is fine and I have always found Exotic forks work well for me. Currently using some alu legged Exotic forks in 490AC and again finding them great.
    Any “taking of the sting out” is done via my appropriately pumped up front tyre.

ayjaydoubleyou

An appropriately designed carbon cantilever arm will have elastic deflection exceeding the amount described to no ill efects.
    Whether it feels nice or not (or if you get some flutter from a less than perfect front brake) is a matter of feel or preference, rather than a question of “is it about to snap”.

so impacts go straight up them whereas other fork designs have some bend in which (I presume) will reduce/soak-up some of the impacts? That’s something I’ve considered anyway.

only if you have a 90 degree head angle and are doing static bunny hops. flippancy aside, most loading on the fork will be putting those straight tubes into bending at least somewhat.

toomuchtime
    Free Member

Checking the oracle (google) the EPO takes a fork 120mm-140mm so a 490 a2c is still on the table I have just always had suspension forks saying that the exotic are £100 which is the price of a fork service so to try it won’t be that much of a ‘gamble’ or am I just talking myself into it ???

kerley
    Free Member

You will never know until you try it. I love rigid bikes and every time I try suspension forks I don’t really like them. Yes they are faster over a lot of terrain but I just don’t like the front moving up and down all the time.

Just ride them a few times without cutting steerer too much and you will be able to resell without too much of a loss.

samuelr
    Free Member

The p2s on my 26” kona are way stiffer and better for it.
    The amount of flex in the exotics was disconcerting when riding. If you are happy with them then all good. My viewpoint differs and thats ok too. But it is something to be aware of.

toomuchtime
    Free Member

What are my options apart from exotic bare in mind I don’t want tobe spending £250 on carbon ones

joshvegas
    Free Member

I love my exotics.

The flex is what’s saving my wrists I reckon.

boltonjon

Used some Exoctic carbon fatbike forks for about 4 years

Gave them a hell of a hammering. Fully recommend them

birdage

Also used Exotics in a range of conditions on a number of bikes. Great forks, only ever sold them when something more blingy like Niners came along.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Exotics are great forks. Had a few sets on various bikes with no issues. Tough enough for anything you can throw a rigid bike down, and certainly not just ‘towpath forks’.

I don’t find them too flexy. If anything I’d like more flex (these are the monocoque version I referring to).

boxelder

Chinese?
    ICAN

Toseek?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rigid fork advice’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts