Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • right to buy,
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Guardian, Conservatives to extend right to buy

I guess it makes a good headline but am i missing something, are there any councils homes left? i thought they had been sold off to housing associations? and why should they be sold on the cheap. Particularly when you consider that getting hold of a social house is virtually impossible.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

am i missing something

Possibly. You know that this government is motivated more by idealogical commitment than economic logic, right ?

And that selling council houses to make the tenants owner occupiers has been proven to have had some success in social engineering, as those concerned start seeing themselves as ‘a bit posher’ and possibly Tory ?

You obviously know that “it makes a good headline”, so if the answer to the two questions is “yes” then I would say no, you probably haven’t missed anything.

druidh
    Free Member

Obviously doesn’t apply in Scotland – how are the Welsh affected?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Apparently there is a right to buy housing association properties too.

mefty
    Free Member

This is one Tory policy I must admit to never understanding, I have always regarded housing as a dead weight on the economy and would much rather funds were put into assets that are productive.

project
    Free Member

Isnt it the same governmnet who are planning to time limit tenancies, so you need to reapply after so many years or move to somewher sammler when the sprogs leave home.

Also wasnt the bankin crisis caused by lending money to people who had no or little chance of ever repaying the debt.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

wasnt the bankin crisis caused by lending money to people who had no or little chance of ever repaying the debt.

Is there any risk to the banks though ? The properties will be worth twice the amount the mortgagees will have lent. I’m asking because I don’t the details – maybe if there is a default the council/HA repossess ? Although I would be surprised if the mortgagee loses out.

Good point about time limit tenancies. Not only does this latest right to buy proposal contradict the Tory government’s claim that because of a shortage of social housing we can’t afford to have underused council housing, or allow access to those who can afford a mortgage. As obviously giving housing stock away at half price can only make the problem, which they have identified, even more acute. But it also suggests that people might feel pressurised to buy if due to a slight change in their circumstances they fear they might lose their homes.

billyboy
    Free Member

They sell off the affordable housing stock to create a need for new affordable housing stock so that the building industry, who have given them huge bungs, get to build new affordable housing stock anywhere they want, be that National Park, Green Belt, AONB, Site of Special Scientific Interest.

We are living in a corrupt age….WAKE UP.

AdamW
    Free Member

I thought it was more of an attempt to stoke up another bubble in the housing sector, getting people to overprice their houses again and have middle-class dinner parties where Jocanda Witterington-Smythe can tell Sidney Fortesque-Gaylord that in the time they have been for a wee the house price must have gone up another £20,000.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘right to buy,’ is closed to new replies.