Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Right let's see your pumpkins then…
  • GrahamS

Bonus points for anyone that went for an old skool turnip and now has arms like popeye and a drawer full of bent spoons.

Here is my masterpiece, finished at 1am this morning so it was ready for school assembly today…

And the tasty by-products…

It did occur to me that it’s suitably ghoulish, gutting a pumpkin alive and devouring its unborn children whilst cutting a hideous face into its flesh. 👿

sandwicheater

Mrs Sandwicheater made this last night. Jnr wanted Room on the Broom and she was only to happy to oblige him;

[/url]Pumpkin by Phillip Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

DezB
    Free Member

Your emoticon thing at the end gave me an idea to carve pumpkins in the style of emoticons – 🙂 😯 😈 etc. but erm , no, my boy is round his mum’s so we won’t be doing them this year. Er, 🙁

Drac

The kids did theres.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

A Team pumkin this year for the young ‘un.

Older ones are getting a little more sophisticated (and dangerous with the knives…)

stevied
    Free Member

weeksy

you’re clever people !

devash
    Free Member

Bonus points for anyone that went for an old skool turnip and now has arms like popeye and a drawer full of bent spoons.

😆 That brought back memories and made me laugh.

isto
    Free Member

benp1

Jeez, I feel let I’ve let myself down with my quick one

Kids were happy enough but seeing this thread… well… I’m just going to go and jump out the window

richmtb

Jeez, I feel let I’ve let myself down with my quick one

Kids were happy enough but seeing this thread… well… I’m just going to go and jump out the window

Yep feeling very under pumpkin-ed now myself!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Went BIG this year, Son talked me into a “Rambo Pumpkin” from Morrisons, nearly put my back out carrying it.

Turns out it’s slanted to one side, meaning you can only really put the face in one part, and that part was a bit green and had a crease in it – so now he’s got a scar along his eye and a bit of a green face – perfect.

Here it is next to my Son’s standard sized one, which is admittedly better than mine.

You can fit your whole head inside it!

sandwicheater

You can fit your whole head inside it!

Photo or it’s not true.

bearnecessities

Plot-twist: it’s already in.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ha ! We did ours on Friday and I looked for a thread. Didn’t dare start one as I remember from prior years how talented people here are !

My Son in law is a creative designer for a comouter games company, you can see which one he knocked up

Can’t show you the pumkin soup as we have already eaten that. Chapaeu for roasting the seeds I was lazy

razorrazoo

This year’s efforts, kids decide the subject matter.

Would like to know what tools are used to carve the skin off but not go all the way through the flesh.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@razor just scratched off with the same sharp knife

scotroutes

molgrips
    Free Member

Enjoy them this year, they’ll be too expensive next year due to brexit.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve produced a few works of art in previous years, but happily the kids are with their mum this Halloween…
    So after a lovely evening ride on Woodbury Common, I’m putting my feet up and drinking a few beers instead

GrahamS

Chapaeu for roasting the seeds I was lazy

It’s really easy – literally just wash, cover in oil, salt and whatever flavouring you like (paprika worked well), then roast for about 10 minutes till golden brown.

Very tasty snack.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/how-to-roast-pumpkin-seeds/

Would like to know what tools are used to carve the skin off but not go all the way through the flesh.

Others may have better approaches but I used an ice cream scoop to hollow out the insides and thin the walls down a bit (saving the flesh for soup).
    Then I did all the carving with a simple sharp paring knife.

This is the first time I’ve tried the semi-translucent bare flesh approach and it was actually pretty easy to just cut a couple of mill deep through the skin then peel it off in small sections.

Dolcered

Spidey [b]

and a slightly out of proportion BB8.

jambalaya
    Free Member

‘kin ‘ell you talented bar stewards – brilliant !

Graham thanks, when I said lazy I knew I meant it 😳

Yunki I know we’ve had a few differences but I trust you can accept my good wishes based on a few posts you’ve made on the domestic front, good news re kids with their mum

jambalaya
    Free Member

Enjoy them this year, they’ll be too expensive next year due to brexit.

because dirt and rain went up in price ?

colp

My lad’s one is getting some love over on YTs instagram page.

Link

redstripe
    Free Member

no Trumpkins then?

bearnecessities

Dolcered wins with Spider; absolutely fantastic. (They’re all pretty bloody good though).

Show-offs 🙂

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Good stuff. We had a turnip but ended up eating it all 😳

Markie
    Free Member

Rushed Poké pumpkins for us… a dreadful Gengar and a reasonable Koffing.

Sorry for those who have seen before, but a few years back I was too late to buy pumpkins, spoke to my wife reference alternatives. She said turnips. I bought parsnips. Gave carving it a solid go, but wondered why on earth anybody thought they were a reasonable substitute for pumpkins. How she laughed…

GrahamS

😆 @ Markie. Superb!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Very very impressive turn out you lot.

Very impressive.

Dolcered

The parsnip is superb! I use a Swiss army knife and a scalpel, so I won’t be attempting a neep.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’m amazed at the parsnip!

My pumpkin is a bit toss compared to everyone else’s efforts, but in my defence I was using crap tools and had limited time (I’ve got a three month old son and poor organisational skills…)

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NCP2tV]Pumpkins[/url] by nanook1900, on Flickr

Leap of Wraith and Night Owl

GrahamS

Man there are some talented people on here. I thought I was doing well to get something vaguely resembling teeth!

Question: how do folk doing these more complex designs lay stuff out? I tried sketching it out on the pumpkin with a felt tip, but that was a terrible idea as it quickly became a smudgy mess and the ink stained some of the flesh.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

dolcered ought… bloody great job…

ebygomm
    Free Member

Had to make do with a spaghetti squash

carlosg
    Free Member

GrahamS

Wait a minute… how has carlosg and tuskaloosa ended up with exactly the same owl carving??

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Where do you guys find the time for this?

Impressed

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Right let's see your pumpkins then…’ is closed to new replies.