Right lads, grab a brew and pull up a seat…. I'm going to be blunt.

Home Forum Chat Forum Right lads, grab a brew and pull up a seat…. I'm going to be blunt.

Viewing 27 posts - 136 through 162 (of 162 total)
  • Right lads, grab a brew and pull up a seat…. I'm going to be blunt.
  • Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber

I’m going for an Health Check on Monday, I will report back with their findings.

Hmmmmmm 😳

Got an irregular shaped mole on my back 😳 been there for months like LegoLambs lump… 😳

I’m on my way

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

Just back from doc’s having gone for my 40+ check after reading this thread. I had two bad unhappy faces on my 100 face chart, Cholesterol 6.2 and , LDL 4

sounds a bit like me. i usually ate around 6 eggs per day which i thought accounted for my readings that are similar to yours (6.1 and 4.4)
    doctors said it was only marginally high, and my gym guru/health advisor told me “Your cholesterol level is fine, doctors and drug companies simply want to put people on statin drugs, 6.1 is a perfectly healthy cholesterol level. Also cholesterol isn’t linked to heart disease very strongly at all mate, people with high cholesterol can have clear arteries and people with low cholesterol can have blocked arteries. The cholesterol – heart disease connection is mostly nonsense.”…………which pleased me πŸ™‚
    (cut down to 3 eggs per day now tho to be on the safe side) πŸ™‚

gym guru/health advisor

Well that’s it of course, I know where I went wrong, you pointed out my mistake there – I should have ignored the advice of millions of man hours of medical research, decades of education, training and experience of the health professionals who treated me and gone an listened to the muscle bound moron in the gym spouting shite about bloody conspiracy theories….

Please just re-read what you have written and go and stand in the corner an have a really good think about it.

Give me strength. And if you are not being serious this is not a subject to troll about, sick graveyard humour yes, trolling no.

Oh and one egg just one ikkle medium, free range egg on average contains ALL your cholesterol allowance for a day BTW.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Oh and one egg just one ikkle medium, free range egg on average contains ALL your cholesterol allowance for a day BTW.

Hang on. I was told to stop my daily boiled egg habit when I went for my test yesterday, along with olives. As the cholesterol is high.

Yet the BHF site says ‘get em in’. As the cholesterol is irrelevant.

Is confused….

EDIT: results tomorrow so I’ll find out if there’s an issue.

pondo

I thought there was “good” and “bad” cholesterol?

(Off to get my bloods checked on Friday)

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Likewise. HDL v LDL can’t remember which is good or bad πŸ™‚

brassneck – Member
    Likewise. HDL v LDL can’t remember which is good or bad

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO #

HDL good, LDL bad.
    Heroes and louts as you get told regularly in rehab.

Regarding Statins. There is a lot of bollocks talked about the side effects. They are not nearly as common as is often made out, but they do exist and are not confined to particular statins. It’s horses for courses. I can tolerate Atorvastatin but not Simva, Rhosuva etc. These make me walk like a zombie.
    BUT, in half a dozen stays in cardio wards I’ve only ever met one other person with a similar intolerance.
    Side effects are rarer than the press would have you believe, though some doctors’ total dismissal of any negative reactions doesn’t help matters either.

woodsman

Sadexpunk – 6 eggs per day! for real?

I can’t imagine how you would be able to eat six eggs per day without putting some serious effort into it…..

You will save on loo roll as a result though

I think its a good/bad cholesterol thing, the thing with eggs is whilst you think you are eating one you may be eating another 3 or 4 unseen in processed foods.

Eggs are v.high in cholesterol and I was advised to reduce consumption (now 3 a week) The cholesterol doesn’t translate immediately into blocked arteries.

I was more trying to make a point about “snake oil” type conspiracy theory peddlars… and that is all these so called “gym guru/heath advisor” types are, they have a product/service to sell in which they have a vested interest, which is more than the NHS has…

“Oh the budget strapped national health service it trying to sell you give you free advice and subsidised medication you don’t need, they are all in it together”

Oh puuuuullleeeeeessssssssssssseee get real about this people. If you don’t want to take the pills its simple don’t take them

I can tolerate Atorvastatin but not Simva, Rhosuva etc. These make me walk like a zombie.

Me too, Atorvastatin was a revelation to me 12 months ago. Only side effect I get is occasional fatiguing but that can be combated with exercise.

double post due to cr@p internet

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

i certainly didnt mean to upset you mate, i was merely trying to put someones mind at rest by stating that i too had similar cholesterol readings, but that i had been told it was nothing to worry about. yes, by someone i trust, but also my doctor said that reading wasnt too high.
    FWIW, the chap who advised me has masters in physiology, biochemistry and neuroscience. not relevant perhaps, but i just wanted to make the point that hes not just ‘a bloke down the gym with something to sell’. he also gives his time and advice for free.
    below is a quote from him about cholesterol. im not clever enough to understand it but make of it what you will.

Firstly cholesterol is a very important substance, it has many uses but one of its primary uses is to repair damaged tissue, when you cut your finger cholesterol comes along to patch up and seal the wound (otherwise you’d bleed to death from even a tiny cut).

Damaged/injured tissues bind to the LDL molecule that’s attached to LDL cholesterol, this is how cholesterol binds to the site of injury so that it can start working its magic. After the injury has healed HDL cholesterol comes along and binds to the cholesterol (which is no longer needed) so that it can be returned to the liver and excreted. So basically what I’m trying to say is that LDL sends cholesterol out to the site of injury while HDL returns cholesterol back to the liver after the injury has healed.

In regards to your LDL/HDL ratio it’s a good indicator of overall systematic inflammation (damage/injury), if your LDL is elevated higher than usual it means that there’s more systematic inflammation going on than there should be. Lowering your LDL cholesterol and increasing your HDL cholestrol is a sign that inflammation is decreasing (less cholesterol is leaving the liver while more is returning to the liver).

At this stage it’s important to point out that cholesterol can’t simply bind to tissues (for example your arteries) for no good reason, in fact it can’t bind at all unless there is inflammation/injury present first. It’s mostly VLDL (very low density lipoprotein) that’s responsible for allowing cholesterol to bind to inflammed/injured tissues.

So high LDL cholesterol in and of itself doesn’t cause your arteries to become blocked, high LDL cholesterol is simply a symptom of excessive systematic inflammation. If you can reduce the inflammation you’ll reduce your LDL cholesterol.

Inflammation/injury is the root cause of heart disease, now the question becomes; what exactly is injuring our arteries? If we can prevent/reduce arterial injury/inflammation we can prevent heart disease from developing. I’ll give you a list of things that could potentially cause arterial injury (and hence inflammation):

1. High blood glucose (especially spikes), sugar is an extremely destructive molecule, this is why your body tries to keep its blood sugar regulated within a very narrow range. Uncontrolled blood sugar (as seen in diabetics) will slowly destroy your arteries, it’s no wonder that diabetics are much more likely to die of heart disease or stroke when compared to non-diabetics.

This is why high GI carbs aren’t the best option (especially for people who don’t exercise), they spike your blood glucose levels too high which damages your arteries (and the rest of your body too for that matter, especially your eyes).

So in order to keep your blood glucose levels (fasting and post meal) under control you need to reduce your overall carbohydrate intake (in order to lower your fasting blood glucose levels) and you also need to eat lower GI carbs rather than higher GI carbs (in order to reduce your post meal peak blood glucose levels).

If you’ve ever wondered why exercise reduces the risk of heart disease it’s because it helps control your blood sugar, firstly it burns blood sugar directly, secondly it causes your muscles to absorb more glucose out of your blood (in order to replenish muscle glycogen). People who exercise regularly can eat more carbohydrate than sedentry people without it causing problems.

2. Vitamin/mineral deficiencies can prevent our arteries from maintaining their normal elasticity/strength, usually when we spike our blood pressure (after high sodium meals or during intense exercise) our arteries expand/stretch in order to accommodate for this. Collagen is extremely important for maintaining the strength/elasticity of our arteries, a vitamin C or copper deficiency will prevent proper collagen formation which in turn will reduce arterial strength/elasticity. What this means is that instead of expanding and contracting like healthy arteries normally would our arteries will only expand slightly (which drives blood pressure even higher than usual) and they will start to develop small cracks/tears because they’re not flexible enough.

These cracks/tears are then patched up with cholesterol, if cholesterol didn’t come along to patch up these cracks/tears our arteries would simply split and we’d die of internal bleeding.

3. High sodium and low potassium diets, this related to the above.

4. Omega 6/3 ratio, more specifically the arachidonic acid (AA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) ratio. Arachidonic acid is around 10 times more potent than EPA when it comes to promoting inflammation, while a high AA/EPA ratio in and of itself won’t cause heart disease it certainly will accelerate its development. What this means is that reducing your AA intake and increasing your EPA (from fish oil etc) will slow down the development of heart disease but it won’t actually prevent it.

If you have a high AA/EPA ratio you might develop heart disease in only 20 years, if you have a lower AA/EPA ratio (or higher EPA/AA ratio) it might take 60 years for heart disease to develop.

5. Pollution, for example chemicals in cigarette smoke can directly damage your arteries and hence promote inflamamtion and cholesterol deposition.

If you want my practical advice for avoiding heart disease I suggest:

– Avoid excessive carbohydrate intake, especially high GI carbohydrates
    – Avoid excess sugar intake (sucrose, HFCS etc), it increases triglycerides
    – Exercise regularly in order to help keep your blood glucose levels under control
    – Avoid high sodium foods, they cause transient increases in blood pressure which causes undue strain to our arteries
    – Increase your potassium intake in order to help lower your blood pressure
    – Avoid vegetable oils
    – Avoid processed foods, they contain less vitamins and minerals and potentially contain substances that cause harm
    – Supplement with vitamin C (at least 1500 mg per day divided throughout the day/night) and copper (2-3 mg per day divided throughout the day/night) to help ensure proper collagen formation which will keep your arteries strong and flexible.
    – Reducing your linoleic acid (parent omega 6) and arachidonic acid (AA) and increasing your alpha-linolenic acid (parent omega 3) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) will slow down the development of heart disease (by reducing your rate of inflammation) but it won’t prevent it from developing entirely.

Dietary cholesterol (unless it’s oxidized) and saturated fat are both absolutely harmless, in fact saturated fat is very good for you, it helps protect your cells by stabilizing your cell membranes.

once again, apologies if ive caused offence, none is meant. i think the thread is a very important nudge for us to go get our health checked.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

once again, apologies if ive caused offence, none is meant. i think the thread is a very important nudge for us to go get our health checked.

Good job I switched to whole milk in my latte then… and butter…

EDIT butter on my bread, not in my latte.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

130/81 pulse of 80, but I was in a state of panic over the size of the bloody needle! so she said I was fine.

10 units of alcohol per week, largely vegetarian diet, 24 BMI, cycling and swimming.

I passed.

Blood results on Friday.

Sadexpunk .. apology accepted, just saw ‘Gym Guru’ and interpreted it as per the stereotypical testosterone driven moron who’s a legend in his own small, sad little world. These people do exist and they are capable of spouting some scarey bollox.

I’m not an expert, I don’t do much reading into the subject – I used to but I deliberately stopped myself as you just get paranoid. I know what works for me, which is a sensible, varied diet where the emphasis is cook fresh from scratch. The occasional take away treat thrown in a couple of times a month. I take the medication that works for me. So that’s 80mg of statins, aspirin and clopidogrel (anti-coagulants). Beta blockers and ace inhibitors even at 2.5mg turn me into a zombie ( as a previous poster so aptly put) – and they wanted to titrate me up to 12mg so I’m guessing that if I wasn’t so bolshi then I’m guessing I’d be a 18st couch potato if I wholly took their advice.

You find what works for your own body BUT don’t believe the hype that it is possible to read without at least discovering for your self. This can mean effectively experimenting on yourself for up to 6 months, to get to the right medications. Remember I’ve had 10 years of living with this condition so I’ve got it honed right down.

Harry, not quite the same but I get “needle fatigue” where my arteries and veins crawl up my arm and hide every time I’m in hospital.

Best way to measure your resting, relaxed heart rate is to take your own pulse when you first wake and are still lying in bed, make a note of it every day and you will find that you can eventually pick up on stuff like too much caffine the day before or even sometimes when you have caught a cold before the sniffles set in ( your heart rate elevates).

Premier Icon woody21
    Subscriber

A really interesting thread. Under a bit of pressure at work, started having chest pains and dizzy spells went to Drs on Monday, had BP test- – 136 over 96 which was a surprise. Another BP test in a week or so

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Cholesterol score 5.1.

Bugger.

Premier Icon tenfoot
    Subscriber

Mine was around that a couple of years ago. Doc told me I was low risk and it was not a problem. I still very much keep an eye on what I eat, especially saturated fat. When I get rid of this cold, I’m going to sort out a check-up.

Got my results the other day. Everything is a okay and normal. Right where’s the nearest Greggs?

Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber

Just got back from the Docs, the blood tests may be back Thursday but more than likely next week because of Easter.

So far :-

Height 5ft 9

Weight 87 kgs

Blood pressure 106 over 60 which she said is fine.

According to the BMI I’m over weight and need to be under 12 stone and I’m currently 13 st 10

Premier Icon Gee-Jay
    Subscriber

Funny thing happened on Saturday, I woke up with chest pains, a stiff left arm & tingling in my fingers – like a wally I went to be linesman at my sons ride, then went for a bike ride as it was arranged, all the time wondering if all of a sudden my chest was about to hurt quite a lot.

Then I saw this thread so was into the Dr’s first thing this am – luckily I appear to have a trapped nerve rather than a more serious issue – Dr said to go to them or call 999 if chest pains next time esp if sweaty or feeling sick.

At least I shall sleep better tonight with a fair chance I shall wake up tomorrow.

Thanks for posting – at 48 I have two mates who have issues, stents for one and a minor stroke for the other – both fit(ish) both eat ok(ish) neither drinks to much (ish)

avdave2

Increase your potassium intake in order to help lower your blood pressure

Be slightly careful with that one. Last year blood tests showed while everything else was good my potassium was high. It’s potassium that actually stops your heart if you are unfortunate enough to be given a lethal injection in the US so not something you really want too much of. Apparently 10% of all blood tests taken in hospital show high potassium, usually associated with poor kidney function. My kidney function was fine and an ECG was also good. I’ve just avoided bananas since and my levels did drop to only .1 above normal. Any half decent diet will give you plenty of potassium, I can only put my high level down to a 95+% vegan diet with loads of fuit & veg. If you look at a low potassium diet it’s about as depressing as a diet can get, I really can’t see how anyone who likes good food could be deficient unless there is medical condition causing it.

Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber

Just got back from the Docs, the blood tests may be back Thursday but more than likely next week because of Easter.

So far :-

Height 5ft 9

Weight 87 kgs

Blood pressure 106 over 60 which she said is fine.

According to the BMI I’m over weight and need to be under 12 stone and I’m currently 13 st 10

All the tests have come back fine, cholesterol was 3.4

Now where’s them Cream Cakes πŸ˜†

47 years old, don’t smoke, hardly drink (never enough time), cycle to work, hill-walk when I can, physical part time job (student!) – right that’s the background.

Blood pressure is spot on, heart rate is about 44 (resting), weight is spot on at 70kg and bloods just came back today, – No diabetes and no cholesterol.

So that’s it for the MOT, its all good. But I would never have checked without this thread, and its nice to know that my saintly lifestyle is paying off, cheers my man!

allan23

Usually browse and don’t post but this one hit a nerve.

3 years ago I wasn’t that active, I had an OKish diet – pasta and rice featured a lot. The bike was gathering dust at the back of the garage. I’d been getting tired and achy but at 40 you expect it. Eventually booked a docs appointment, I wasn’t the normal shape for Type 2 Diabetes but they did the tests and found my fasting blood sugar was 15. After meals it was coming up in the mid 20s.

So now I’m on a low carb diet – zero bread, pasta and rice as they’re terrible foods for me.
    I’m on Simvastatin – cholesterol was 6.5 docs want it really low as I’m now a high risk category.
    I’m religiously back on the bike but it’s hard work. Somedays it all comes together and it’s a pleasant ride, others it’s a struggle to get any energy. I ride pretty much solo now as group rides got silly will the apologies for being crap.

Physical damage is done, circulation problems, I’ve started with retinopathy but didn’t realise until the first scan. Now getting monthly injections in my eyeballs to stop going blind.

Not the same as heart attack territory, but if there are two things I’ve learned.

1) See your doctors and get the tests, if I’d realised 6 months or a year earlier I may have saved a whole load of complications and possibly the fun of having needles stuck in my eyes every month.

2) Ignore the internet, most of the health advice in internetland is garbage. Some of it could make your health worse.

Viewing 27 posts - 136 through 162 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Right lads, grab a brew and pull up a seat…. I'm going to be blunt.’ is closed to new replies.