• This topic has 36 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Rifter/Tourneo Connect or Alhambra/Galaxy?
  • wzzzz
    Free Member

Do I want a van based MPV for family/bike duties or is a big trad MPV better allrounder?

I have an estate car, its annoying not having flexible seats, room to change nor room to stick a bike inside without faffing with child seats. So MPVs seem to be designed for me – I want sliding doors and 3 separate rear seats / infrequent 7 seats. Two small kids and twice weekly bike rides for me, hopefully more with the kids as they grow will need to take more kit for camping and inflatable kayaks / sups etc.

Van based:
    + vans are cool for outdoorsy types
    + bit more space
    + low load height
    + wipe clean interior

– everyone not outdoorsy thinks they are deeply uncool mobility cars (who cares?)
    – handle (more) like a van as van rear suspension… although tourneo connect supposed to be good?
    – low power engines
    – plasticy interior
    – fuel economy not as good as trad
    – more expensive used than equivalent trad MPV

Trad MPV:
    + normal car for normal people, no funny looks
    + car creature comforts and cabin materials
    + better on fuel
    + better engines
    + car like handling (really?)
    + cheaper than equivalent van based MPV used

– not cool at all
    – higher load height
    – less volume – but do they really have less usable space?

Don’t want to pay VW tax for a caddy, the tourneo connect looks way better value and apparently drives better, the rifter and friends like vx combo life also look good value but dead steering apparently. Galaxy is the king of MPVs, Alhambra more value and perhaps a better steer?

Maybe I want an SMAX? But maybe its too compromised and the worst of everything.

IMO this is as cool as any caddy.

oldnpastit

Galaxy is great. No sliding doors.

When I was looking at my current one, I also looked at Ford Tourneo Connect. It was very underpowered. Might be OK if you don’t ever go somewhere with more than one or two people.

Also looked at SMax. Would be worth considering if I ever get into BMX.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I also looked at Ford Tourneo Connect. It was very underpowered

This is a concern. I guess I’ll have to test drive one but hard to tell unloaded. Theres some random LPG powered 2.5 petrols on autotrader, 163bhp but LPG only (must be a fleet thing) discounts them.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Unimog.

You know it makes sense.

Clink

We just changed from a Renault Trafic LWB to a Citroen Berlingo XL (new one). Plenty of space, sliding doors are great. Fist go at sleeping in it this weekend. Even fits a kayak in with front passenger seat flat (although normally put on roof). We have taken out 2 rear row seats (pain to store). Middle row all fold flat individually; with one down can fit 2 29ers in upright with front wheels off. Very happy so far. Oh ours is biggest of the diesels and an auto – all reviews said go for bigger engine if lugging loads.

Lester
    Free Member

is the blue vehicle with the gold wheels an S-Max?

Wally

Clink- snap! I have done almost exactly the same. Rifter XL with seat 6+7 permanently bagged up and stored. I went for the 1.2 Petrol 110 Bhp due to short journeys and living within M25. The GT line also had tinted rear windows for more stealth bike storage. It drove to Cornwall perfectly fully loaded with heavy bike rack, but yes if I was a taxi or had 3/4/5 kids I would probably have gone for the diesel 130. Huge jump up from 05 plate Berlingo.

FuzzyWuzzy

My brother has a Citreon Grand C4 SpaceTourer (mostly as he needed a 7-seater) which seems quite nice, not sure how it compares in reviews to the Galaxy though

Tracey

We started in the late 90s with MPVs and have had a few including 3 C4 Grand Picassos.
    Bought a Tourneo Connect 4 years ago. Its a 1 6 Ecoboost Auto with the 150 hp engine so not slow.
    Its in the Alps at the moment and ideal for what we wanted

Swapped the last C4 Grand Picasso 2 years ago for a LWB Tourneo Custom and wouldn’t go back as it a lot more versatile

stox
    Free Member

Wzzzz interesting post .. sounds like we’re in a similar boat.
    If we change our Galaxy in the not too distant future it’d likely be for an Alhambra.
    I can’t get the wife interested in a Berlingo BUT just last night I showed her the Rifter in GT Line trim and she didnt recoil in horror.
    I think they look great but it’s a tricky decision when you compare it to an SE Lux Alhambra with leather , electric doors etc etc albeit a couple of years older for the price.

Clink

Yeah Berlingo is still a bit marmite; ours is red so looks a bit like a Playmobil car!! However I wanted 130bhp, auto and grip control in a nearly new car – very few with grip control about so I gave in on the colour. Auto is a revelation – so relaxing to drive.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a C8, I can assure you the handling is not car like at all. I’m seriously put off Galaxys by the fact they don’t have sliding doors, it may not be such a concern for you.

Other than that it’s much of a muchness, if the seats can be fully removed for a flat load space that’s really the main thing. See also the current JDM thread if you want something a bit more left field.

mattbee

Had a Galaxy, now have a Berlingo.
    The Galaxy was great but not actually that tall so I ended up having to take wheels off bikes to put them in. The gravel bike had to have the seat post dropped too (no dropper post).
    One bike could be done fairly easily by dropping all the seats but multiples of people and bikes was more faff.
    The Berlinda, despite being shorter is also taller. It means with one seat out I can fit an XL 29er or gravel bike in upright with both wheels on. Or two seats out and two fully built bikes. Plus the 2 dogs and a weeks worth of camping stuff.
    It’s more plasticy than the Galaxy and not quite as nice to drive but its easier to park and cheaper on fuel, tax and insurance.
    I do also own a SWB Trafic but that’s more of a work van….

wzzzz
    Free Member

The pic above is not an s max it’s a grand tourneo connect in America with a pop top.

Right that’s it you’ve all convinced me.

I got in my leather bound estate car filthy apres ride to drive home and winced at the thought of dirtying it.

It’s got to go. Wipe down plastics are the future. Who really needs Harmon kardon anyway.

Gonna get a test of a vx combo life as they come out cheaper than the rifter and berlinda (love the name) abd a tourneo connect.

Wish me luck with convincing the mrs

Clink

Watch the VWs – basic kit was rubbish when I was looking at them.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Struggling to find _any_ 150bhp tourneo connects for sale

You must have a rare beast tracey

phil5556

How much do you drive it as “just a car” vs using it as a van?

If car use outweighs van use significantly get something car like and vice versa. I drove a van as my only vehicle for about 7 years, it was fine fine but I wouldn’t go back to it out of choice. (Luckily I also have a van for camper van & biking duties).

Tracey

Don’t know if its a rare beast. My 22 year old daughter and her riding mates all think its quite cool and have had a few offers to buy it.

wzzzz
    Free Member

New tourneo connect active announced a couple of weeks ago.

Jacked up a little, skid plates, styling and an LSD for offroading. Might be useful for off piste parking. Maybe mildy ridiculous.

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/tourneo-connect/models-specs/active

garage-dweller

I’ve just gone from a Passat to an SMax

Let’s deal with the bad stuff…

It handles marginally worse than the Passat and the Passat is hardly a driver’s car.

It’s slower and slightly thirstier (I had a 170tdi dsg).

Good stuff…

Having spent 6 months living with it I can honestly say I absolutely don’t give a toss about the performance or handling.

The driving position is fantastic, great visibility (just remember to move your head around the little extra front window a bit).

It’s no bigger than an estate on the ground.

It handles better than a van and it has sound levels more like a car.

It’ll take a 90kg nose limit on the two bar so its good for a four bar tow bar rack.

With the middle row forward I can get a large 120mm travel 29r FS bike under the load cover (obviously wheels off) just.

The kids love it, the middle row is usable for adults even when well forward.

I reckon I could get 3 mtbs of mixed sizes in the boot with wheels off with the seats forward (not tested yet). I got the 29r in wheels off plus my son’s 24″ bike with only the front wheel removed the other week and there was plenty of excess space.

The manual box has a nice short action, the 2.0 diesel is adequate and you just need a bit of “chill” to enjoy lazily rumbling along. It can be hustled if needed but that’s kind of missing the point. Don’t miss my auto now I’ve got my head round the slightly grabby clutch (it seems to be an SMax/galaxy thing).

No van speed limits.

It’s brilliant for days out, hiking, biking etc. Loads more changing space, you can sit in the boot upright.

This is my view on a 9 year old one with 90k on the clock. It’s the cheapest and relatively oldest car I’ve bought in the last 15 years.

I also drove …

the Galaxy which was a bit more cumbersome but still a massive cut above a van in handling and comfort. SMax won over the galaxy on value for money for us.

The Grand Tourneo Connect which was a margin more van like, very capacious but crap towing and nose weights (Focus platform) and only 1.5/1.6 diesel options.

WHY WE BOUGHT THE SMAX

We bought the SMax in anticipation of more camping holidays. We can get two weeks gear in with bikes on the back (but only just) including an 8 person air tent. The packing Jenga drove me insane though so we are adding a trailer as it will make life much easier and allow us to take kayaks as well. Wish we had done it years ago.

It is a compromise. You need the right attitude to its speed and handling. It’s a step above an estate for versatility without being bigger and I find it’s no more bother round town or in tight spots. Mrs gd reckons it’s easier to drive and park than the Passat (which she never had an issue with).

Sorry I’m a fan boy!

johncoventry

I have had a Tourneo Connect LWB for 4 years. It drives like a car so much so you forget that you have a long vehicle behind you. It is only 1.6 and a bit under powered but my boy racer days have past so it’s fine. I can get 50 mpg on a steady run though.
    One tip. If you want roof bars get them fitted from new. They can be fitted later but it is a bit of a pain as they bolt on from below. I bought aftermarket and it involved long bits of bar with bolts on the end down the head liner and bolts on wire threaded through to get the bolts in position.

If buying VW do research on engine issues. Every VW engine I looked at had potential costly problems.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Thanks all for the contributions!

I hadn’t even considered the nose weight thing. But I’m at least, um, 9 years off having 4 full size bikes to take so maybe not a concern yet.

Will check out an S max too although low roof height initially put me off?

I think my perfect car would be a Discovery 4 but such things are not socially acceptable in my mind anymore (I don’t have a legitimate 4wd use nor do I tow cattle trailers).

simon_g

If I had to buy a new UK market car it’d be a Berlingo XL with the 1.2 petrol (and I nearly did). The Honda Stepwgn we bought just made more sense at £6kish for something we use a few thousand miles a year, and an EV for everyday.

jeffl

As someone said above. If you get a van conversuon then some lower speed limits may apply. Oh and also more expensive on some toll roads. Not sure how much that bothers you.

Don’t know why the bus versions have higher speed limits and vans lower. Think there was a thread on here ages ago about getting a van to camper conversion re-registered for higher speed limits.

squirrelking
    Free Member

It’s about likely load weights, a minibus is far less likely to be loaded to 3.5te day to day so the lower limit applies. Exception are car derived vans IIRC.

timber

I went for a Vito after a bunch of large estates. The long is barely longer than my old Mondeo estate, but the height inside is far more usable. Especially as bikes now have longer forks, wider bars and hard to remove dropper posts.
    Obviously still drives like a van, but this is our vehicle for convenience, we have something smaller and sportier to compliment it.
    They are better spec and build than most other vans, Viano is car registered, Merc auto boxes have been good for years, plenty of power options, the short version is about the same length as most small estates and under 2m for car park barriers.

garage-dweller

Will check out an S max too although low roof height initially put me off?

I totally get that. The load space is still impressive. I’m kind of glad we got the SMax given we have ended up with a trailer anyway – although maybe if we had the Galaxy the Jenga would have been tolerable. Mrs gd has been buying more camping stuff ever since the trailer was ordered. I’ll be back here in a month asking “what HGV for our camping gear?”

matt_outandabout

Having had a Galaxy for 4 years, the boot space is noticeably bigger than Smax. Partly height of opening. It’s much more like a box. It’s also 10cm(?) longer which actually makes quite a difference.
    I also unbolted the rear seats for a fortnight holiday once for even more space.
    Brilliant cars, sadly ours at 160k was near dead and I just couldn’t find a well looked after Galaxy or Smax to replace it with as the MOT of doom loomed…

5lab

Out of interest has anyone gone from slidey doors to openy ones? I’m considering most of these options as a new car next year, the wife would prefer something that doesn’t look like a builders van so its probably galaxy vs alhambra. The doors seem the biggest difference. Both kids will be toddlers by the time it arrives, and we make do with a standard car now. Im wondering if the extra weight/complexity is worth the benefit

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sliding doors in. Carpark with a child is a game changer.

v9gss

Bit late to this but, does anyone have the 5 seat lwb/grand connect? I can’t for the life of me find the dimensions of the boot space!

Need to keep seating for 5 and fit 1 adult bike, two kids bikes (1 20 and 1 24 inch) and a push chair. Plus the usual couple of bags of bits.

Have a got a chance of fitting them in?

Or should I be saving up for a crew cab custom.

5lab

You might get that lot in a 7 seater by using 1 of the rearmost seats and dropping one of the middle row? I gave up on the grand tourneo connect as the middle middle seat cant be folded on its own

The 7 seater has pretty much the same boot as the 5 seater, just a little less height

wzzzz
    Free Member

ask in here https://www.facebook.com/groups/849868278459863

This is a grand tourneo connect (lwb), rear most seats removed, Giant Reign 29 in with the single middle seat folded.

looks like it might maybe go in diagonally with 5 seats with wheels off.

These have poor towing capacity…

5lab

it looks (from the bars) like that might be a bit of a faff to get in through the opening as well?

v9gss

Cheers for the comments/pics, looks like one bike would probably have to go on the roof.

I’d never tow anything with it so wouldn’t be an issue.

I’ll probably end up going for something a bit bigger. Custom/vivaro/traffic etc…

Trouble is they’re all a cocking fortune at the moment.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You might get all that into a 7 seater playing mega Tetris.

Wouldn’t want my kids in with all that lot should the worst happen.

It certainly won’t go in a rifter.

5lab

I currently leave a thule 970 xpress in the boot and just clip it on when I have a mucky bike and/or full car. Clips on in about 5 seconds, much easier than my other rack (altera dl) when you just need 1 or 2 bikes. Might be an option? The other stuff would fit in easily

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Rifter/Tourneo Connect or Alhambra/Galaxy?’ is closed to new replies.