Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding near Centre Parcs Penrith?
  • MrSparkle

Just planning my escape from the compound @ w/end. Do I take the SS and hunt for singletrack or the cross bike and do a bit of on/off road?

stumpy01

I went there at the end of March & I was ‘allowed out’ for a day.

We went to Whinlatter (30 mins drive or so) & I rode the trails there, while the other half did a waymarked walk. It was pretty good but I got round at a steady pace in under two hours so you might wanna look to do a couple of laps.
    If you will be going there with others, there’s a decent tea shop & 3 or 4 walks that all start from there – a leaflet mapping the walks is available for not a lot of pence.

Lots of other routes up that way, but I wanted something simple & quick. I am sure if you googled for some lake district mountain bike routes you’d find loads.

boxelder

Great local riding here

If you start from Askham, instead of Pooley Bridge, you could ride to the start in about 30 minutes or so.

Could extend the ride to include boredale hause etc (SW of Howtown).
    Cross Fell is another option, but I’d go for the first option. Cross Fell is more of a big up and down.

aP
    Free Member

Walk out of chalet, look to the east – that big thing is Cross Fell, cycle over to it, go up and over to the other side, come back a slightly different route, cycle back to chalet.
    Why the need to drive to the other end of the Lakes when the riding is right on the doorstep?

BFITH
    Free Member

Ditto to Boxelders suggestion.
    I usually drive to Pooley Bridge and do the very same route….excellent views on asunny day, and a blinding downhill into Pooley bridge to finish off. Excellent pubs in PB for lunch too!

Trekster

as the others have said+the route up from Keswick via Threlkeld, Blencartha to Skiddaw YHA. There you can go either clockwise or anti-clockwise around the ******** Fells via Mosedale

Then ther is the Borowdale Bash.

Maps available from KMB for £2odd. Call em and get them to post to you.
    http://www.mountain-bike-cumbria.co.uk/trails.php
    http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/

Mind you it will be a bit tough on an SS 😯 but having ridden with some of the Peaks guys from BM I would`nt be surprised if you can pedal up stuff I have to walk!!!

MrSparkle

Thanks for that, folks.

Speshpaul

Pooley Bridge and head up wards.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I think its possible to ride out of the back of thre centre park, onto the Cliburn-A6 road,head west to Clifton-eamont bridge a6(avoid the dangerous a66 at all costs)from there take the road,(south) through the middle of Lowther caravan site (Eamont Bridge),theres some great singletrack along the river here on the left.

From Lowther Castle turn right onto the road downhill over a cattle grid keeping left before the bridge,join a track here that heads towards whale village,once onto the road turn right towards the Askham village Helton road.

Theres numerous Bridleways from Helton,or Askham and are pretty good singlespeed routes imho,nice gradual climbs.Its dry up there at the moment so the decent from moordivock to Howtown will be great. 😉

return via the road to Pooley bridge,Tirril,Eamont Bridge. enjoy.

flatfish
    Free Member

i do the same route as the linkage but from askham straight over to howtown, road to pooley bridge, tea and cake, then back over to askham.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Centre Parcs Penrith?’ is closed to new replies.