Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • riding with the girls?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

OOO a girlie trip MTBing up North! How ace would that be! At one point I was trying to get back to Wales but unlikely that or any other move is going to happen due to job front. But hey we can travel around for ace weekends.

Was the skills weekend taken by Rich Barnard? I did Cycle Active’s holiday in morocco which was THE best holiday and horrifically technical but awesome place I’ve ever been. Maybe I’ll have a look at the courses though.

I agree with what Bunnyhop says about BMXing, I do think I’m lucky though as I started MTBing at 13 and raced from the age of 14 hence why I think I am more skilled than a lot/most woman. My mountain biking is governed by my boyfriend either like a lot of women, I have MTBed before any of the men I have met (normally). And luckily I met Mr MC at a 24 hour race .. to be fair I couldn’t imagine dating someone who wasn’t a MTBer!!!!!

Bunnyhop

. My mountain biking is governed by my boyfriend either like a lot of women

Do you mean isn’t 🙂

I have to stress that I’m definitely in the ‘social group’ with our girlie rides, however if you work your way up to Clareymorris (passing us on the way up) you’re more that welcome to a ride ( you’ve ridden with my husband and he says you were rubbish – only kidding :wink:)

xiphon
    Free Member

FIFY.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

HA ha I’d forgotten about that ride! Wow that was a while ago now, can’t remember where we took him! Glad someone noticed my stupid errors but that’s because I’m thinking of the sun and my Berry Solero I had about an hour ago.

ART

In Wilts. MC but I do most of my riding in the South West Quantocks/Dartmoor, some Mendips, South Wales and travel reasonably frequently to Scotland, Lakes etc. Our girly trips away have been all over the country.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Thanks for that pointless contribution Xiphon.

xiphon
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

Glad to help

Bunnyhop

Shush – we mustn’t mention girls only rides, Simonfbarnes gets a little ‘hot under the collar’.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

If its a trip to the lakes, i shall ditch the road bike for once and get out the mtb!

*has no useful input into the thread as i have become a roadie and rarely get the urge to go mtbing* 😳

swollen
    Free Member

Hi Lucy, I was just wondering….
    Due to the proximity of the letters on the keyboard, have you ever done a typo and hit ‘P’ instead of ‘L’ when typing your name? 😆

juan
    Free Member

After a year teaching the SO to ride I have noticed a few general points (however take them with a pinch of salt, every one is different):
    the most limiting factor is her head. Basically, she has a very different perception than me/men about what is hard/dangerous, and what is not. Once she decided it’s dangerous/hard it’s very difficult to get her to ride it. Same goes in handling the bike, once she has decided no she cant get to tip the bike, well she won’t. Second limited factor is fitness, but that is the easiest one to overcome. You will have to remember when teaching girls that they over think. We blokes just ride and deal with the consequences later. Girlies tend to do the things in a different way.

HTH

jedi

munghe chick, how come you waasn’t allowed???? 🙁

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Juan I agree with your points there for a lot of woman! However I’m the other way if I haven’t ridden something I can spend ages there trying to ride it! Recently it involved riding a steep verticalish down however I would get to the hardest steepist point, stop and get off! SO kept shouting at and with a lot of jeeing up and psyching I managed it, now every time I don’t even think about it I just drop straight in and it feels good when the boys bottle it now!!
    Jedi .. argh don’t be grassing me up that I’ve told you, some of the boyd didn’t want me there 🙁

mansell
    Free Member

sorry for not keeping up with the comments…busy week sorting out the early and abrupt end to the ski season in the alps as its been 28degrees the last two weeks! Awesome for the bikes though! been thinking about all the advise while riding this week and its great, really helpful and makes me more aware when i’m riding. I think there is a lot of confidence stuff with biking but i also think its that women go through a different process of learning. Munge-chick you might be like me in that i hate having a area on any train that i can’t ride but i like to be able to try lines again and again and gain my confidence that way. So happy to hear that you girls out there are organising times and places to go ride together…thats what its all about! nice one

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yup if something stumps me it’s not often I will walk away from it without doing it! plus that usually means riding it twice, once is a fluke, twice means you can do it, unless the 2nd time it still makes you feel sick … in which case it shows I’m on my limit!!!! Bring on the Alps in the summer, just tweaking my brand new bike, shorter stem and potentially some carbon bars and I’m away 😉 Hoping it’s going to be dry and dusty this weekend for our 50 miler.

lucyayres
    Free Member

nice…50 miler…that’s pretty epic! we are still making the most of lift access here at the mo but then when we hit the inter season it will be all about the peddling! good training i suppose as i am doing the mega this year, any other ladies out there riding the mega this year??. Such a shame that there are not more women riding in your area Munge-chick. Looks like the north has a pretty awesome scene though! I was at uni in Leeds and the riding was great so perhaps taking a trip up there would be good! thanks again for the input, really helped in designing the women’s week out here and we will definitely be incorporating loads of your helpful ideas.

At the risk of enticing xiphons rage i am going to give you girls the link so you can see what its all about. If you have any queries or questions give me a shout and after all the advice the page will be updated so keep checking! There has been such a huge response to my origonal post and there are obviously sooo many girls out there wanting to ride that its inspired me to work even harder on this women’s week! thanks

http://www.themountainbikechalet.com/mountain-bike-chalet-womens-weeks.html

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yup well the 50 miler is prepping for the summer, SitS, bristol Bike Fest and the like should be entertiaing. The Girlie trip looks ace but I can’t justify another holiday this year and don’t have enough leave, I would definately contemplate it in the future though as I rarely get to ride with other girls, let alone ones that are of a similar riding ability.

We are off to Chamonix and Verbier for 2 weeks in the summer so should get some ace riding in!

winterfold
    Free Member

At the risk of sexism…

One thing that seems obviousn to me is that girls do not have cojones (at least so far in my experience) and therefore do not have their thinking clouded by ‘grow a pair’ and ‘MTFU’ type issues.

therefore it seems likely to me that they will realise some skills training would be a good idea rather earlier in the learning cycle than your typical bloke – who thinks that everything would be OK if only he had bigger balls – and doesnt need to know about cornering or braking – just about hucking bigger drops.

I’ll get me coat

GaryLake
    Free Member

boys are idiots, they switch their brains off

Love it!

Del

Shush – we mustn’t mention girls only rides, Simonfbarnes gets a little ‘hot under the collar’.

last time he commented on some pics of a ride i was on, which was all blokes, he suggested that because it was all blokes, we must all be gay…. 😐

allthegear
    Free Member

Winterfold – you’re not far from the truth, in the majority of cases. There will always be exceptions to every generalisation (believe me, I know!) but it’s true that there is a different ‘thinking’ going on in a boy’s group out biking than a girl’s.

Oo – just read the link to the week in Les Arcs – tempted…

Rachel

winterfold
    Free Member

allthegear

i was coached recently by a girl on my local trails and you see it was er challenging for quite a few guys to not be able to do stuff in front of her and I was obviously a bit wierd for seeking advice from a bird.

jedi scores good on getting you over all the macho sh1t – which can so easily lead to A&E

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Winterfold that kind of goes back to what I said on my very first post that yes men are more aggressive which tends to be to them thinking they have bigger cojones. I think also that men TEND (not always) to start from a younger age and as already suggested messing about on BMXing and other two wheeled activities as kids.
    Jedi has been coaching this morning with Mr MC haven’t had full low down but sounds like they had an ace day involving crash of one of them cracking helmet … tehre you go maybe he had the biggest cojones, who knows!!!!!!!

I would definately be up for some sklils training, we all often do it when we go skiing so for a sport we all do every weekend is it not good to get some outside advice and development. Originally when I suggested skills days my mates all took the pi** they soon came around to the idea and booked the skills day with Jedi and not letting me go 🙁 anyway. Point is I would be up for skills day with other girls of a similar level, I would also love to go on a girlie MTB holiday but with 2 weeks in France and 1 week in Spain (and all those new bits of bike bling) I don’t think my purse strings will stretch that far!

allthegear
    Free Member

hang on – lucyayres – why does a girls only week cost £100 more? We’re not that much extra work are we??? 😕

Rachel

winterfold
    Free Member

munqe-chick

Hopefully the guy who cracked his helmet is OK.

I would say that one of the key bits of jedi’s jumps and drops course is about acquiring the ‘mental skills’ to know when you should try something and when you should not. It’s about turning off the little ‘MTFUer’ that is in all our heads (all means all). Jedi’s success and transformational coaching is in large part down to putting male riders in touch with their inner riding chick. Checking stuff out first, not being afraid to say no, not succumbing to peer pressure etc etc

But… you can still screw up and hurt yourself. We are not robots. If it wasnt dangerous it wouldnt be fun. Both sexes get that.

EDIT

I also agree the ‘Ive been riding a bike since I was 6, what do I need lessons for?’ attitude is very prevalent. 20 years of riding a bike the same way you rode it when you were 6 does not Gee Atherton make.

FURTHER EDIT

I definitely see the place for ‘Chicks only’ skills courses. Although if the coach is any good there isn’t a real need as the MTFU vibe (which I guess an expectation of which can put females off mixed courses) will be swiftly eradicated. But you need to feel comfortable to learn and if that means single-sex courses then they are a good thing.

allthegear
    Free Member

20 years of riding a bike the same way you rode it when you were 6 does not Gee Atherton make.

unless you’re Gee Atherton??

winterfold
    Free Member

LOL good answer

but… you know what I meant 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

No, my riding has changed since I was 6 – each ride building on the experience of the previous. Experience has taught me how to jump and bail when needs be….. not some coach.

If I was aiming to be the next Atherton, then I would seriously consider professional coaching. I’m sure every athlete at the top of their field (or aiming to be at the top) receives some coaching of some description?

If I did end up on a course, I’d probably be told I do everything wrong…

slowrider
    Free Member

xiphon, you dont need a course for that. its common knowledge 😛

winterfold
    Free Member

xiphon – allthegear and I were having a bit of joke there but your reply suggests you have reflected on your riding in the meantime, and I say that makes you unusual, or in a minority at least.

When I crossed over into MTB from roadying I thought ‘well I’ll be fit, but will lack skills compared to even a crap MTBer’ but after spending an hour or so watching dozens, if not hundreds of riders on my local trails I am quite clear that that was a misconception. Most riders in my neck of the woods, but that’s not all :wink:, seem to approach their riding with a ‘I learned to ride a bike when i was 6 and know what I need to’ mindset.

Which is why they pull up on basic drops on big bikes, then take the ‘cissy line’* while a 16 year old girl flies down it on a knackered old hardtail.

* my coachesses words, obviously I would never be that unPC.

nbt

winterfold – Member

At the risk of sexism…

One thing that seems obviousn to me is that girls do not have cojones (at least so far in my experience) and therefore do not have their thinking clouded by ‘grow a pair’ and ‘MTFU’ type issues.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLxg0dbvokQ[/video]

😀

allthegear
    Free Member

lol – love how you come on this particular thread and use “like a 16 year old girl” as a measure of rubbishness. oops…

🙄

Rachel

xiphon
    Free Member

If you’ve been on the darkside a roadie all your life, then I agree jumping on MTB and hitting the trails might have some nasty consequences…. “no fear and no idea”

… but from what I have read, most who go on these courses, seem to indicate they’ve been riding MTB’s for years? So one would expect their level of confidence/common sense to be pretty seasoned?

Isn’t learning to jump/ride off drops/ride down steps something you learn when you’re a kid, and use throughout your riding life?

Not trollin’….. being serious. For once.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

HA ha loving the You tube clip!!! PMSL

Bunnyhop

Isn’t learning to jump/ride off drops/ride down steps something you learn when you’re a kid, and use throughout your riding life?

Aha – that’s what we were talking about ^^^^, that most women as girls haven’t done the BMX type stuff as a child.

Hopefully this may change.

juan
    Free Member

It’s funny though how people seems to perceive a right and wrong way to ride bikes.
    I am lucky enough to live in a place where 4 DH/4X world-champs race at local enduros. You obviously get to speak with them from times to times and what appears to happen is that riding has evolved a lot and will probably evolve a lot more. Latest(ish) fashion seems to be to ride weight forward specially on the steeper sections of trails.Such thing would have been inconceivable a few years ago. Furthermore, if you look at them going through a section of trail, they will all ride it differently. They are a few key points, but they all ride pretty much each on their own way. And yet no one would dare to suggest that nicola has a bad technique because he doesn’t ride the way fabien does ;-). I think one of the big misconception in the world of biking is that you must do things the ‘correct way’. I concur that there are the basic skills, but then, everyone adapts said skills to its own riding. And girls are no stranger to that, if their riding is nowhere as rad to the power of sick as bloke so be it, as far as it get them at the bottom of the trail in one piece with a smile on their faces I can’t see anything wrong with it 😉

winterfold
    Free Member

Allthegear – obviously I didn’t make myself clear ( and we agreed about stuff earlier in thread )

What I saw was a number of riders not taking on a drop while being more than adequately biked then while they were faffing a young lady rode it with style on an old hardtail . She wasn’t rubbish – they were.

Xiphon – don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but I don’t think many people did actually do much skills/trials/BMX when they were young, if you did good for you, if ‘they’ did then they seem to have forgotten.

Only guy I can remember doing that from my part of the world was Carlo Griggs. Fair enough – he didn’t need a skills course and I doubt he does:)

EDIT That YouTube vid says it all – very funny

lucyayres
    Free Member

Like many other girls I came to the sport late and initially relied only upon guts and determination to try and keep up with the guys I rode with!However after some pretty epic stacks ( almost ruptured spleen, torn ACL,countless haematoma’s etc) I had lost confidence and the ratio of fun/fear in riding had taken a turn. This is what i want other girls to avoid!! In Whistler the mountain runs women’s evening groups which were amazing. Each week you chose what skill you wanted to learn and you went with a group who was at the same level of riding you were. Juan I totally agree that everyone has their own style and having fun is the most important part. But in the women’s groups was where I really began to have fun on my bike. Sounds cheesy but it was a really supportive environment, but also competitive and made you want to improve. We were all pretty much the same level so you knew if one of you did something then the rest of you could. Sometimes riding with the guys I chicken out of stuff that if I see a girl do it I’m like shit…better give it a go! I am lucky that i get to ride a lot with both girls and guys and I love both, but if I want to ride and learn or session stuff I tend to go with the girls, it just works better for me.

Rachel- the women’s week is £100 more because it includes transfers (£60 normally) goody bag, massage, t-shirt, photo shoot and smaller groups(which means more guides) and more structured skills session. There will be an option to not have that package which would be cheaper if you are interested.
    We are currently in the process of designing a pump track and skills area for the sessions which will include some drops and jumps to learn on. Hope that explains things…if you would like to email me directly feel free lucy@themountianbikechalet.com

loving the discussion and views and that big balls vid is hilarious…and a little disturbing!

nbt

Lucy – you spelled your email wrong. Also, what about blokes coming out that week with their missus when both ride?

lucyayres
    Free Member

haha thanks.

lucy@themountainbikechalet.com

For the women’s specific week we were hoping to have a women only rule…however if we have a lot of requests for couples to come out then its possible to change that. At the moment it will depend on bookings. There are still spaces on the other weeks where everyone is welcome and we will certainly still be able to cater for women who come on those weeks.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘riding with the girls?’ is closed to new replies.