Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding with a loose cassette
  • will
    Free Member

Noticed that the cassette on the road bike appears to be loose. Thought that it was just a case of tightening the lock ring, however it’s now as tight as I can get it, but there is still movement. Only thing I can think is that when I put it on last week I lost a small part?

Question is: Will I be doing an harm to the freewheel/hub if I ride with a loose cassette? I wont be able to sort it till friday as my tools are at home…

RealMan
    Free Member

Best not to, but how loose is it? There’s sometimes a tiny bit of play in cassettes, but if it’s quite a lot, you may have lost one of the spacers.

mrmo
    Free Member

is it definitely the cassette and not the free hub body? There should be no play in the cassette on the free hub body but depending on the hub and how worn the bearing are there may be some play in the free hub body.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

10 speed?You need a 1mm spacer behind the cassette.

andyl
    Free Member

some cassettes have spacers before the lock ring. Did you lose it?

will
    Free Member

Not the wheel as it’s brand new 😆

10 speed yes. I’d say around 1mm is about the play. I’ll have a look on my old wheels and around where I swapped the wheels. Thanks.

So you’d not ride it?

Edit: Just found the 1mm spacer! What a muppet. I’ll pop down to the LBS tomorrow and see if they can wip it off and pop the spacer in.

BruceWee

Last time I had this problem it was because the free hub body got pretty chewed up from single speeding with a normal cog. I had to file down some burs on the splines but after that it tightened up without any play. Just have a check to make sure there’s nothing the cassette could be catching on

Goz
    Free Member

are you running a 10 speed shimano casstte on a non shimano hub?

andyl
    Free Member

told ya 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding with a loose cassette’ is closed to new replies.