Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding venue reccommendations from west yorks/sheffiled
  • rstephenson
    Free Member

A mate and I are looking to do a days riding (mtb) somewhere and I’m after some recommendations. I’m in Calderdale, he’s in Sheffield so ideally not more than 1.5hrs drive for each of us. I’ve only ridden locally so fancy exploring somewhere new but not sure what’s worth getting to. Open to ideas, not opposed to a trail centre if something suits (might be a nice change for me). Also not opposed to a bit of cheek but will probably be a weekend so wouldn’t want to piss off a load of local walkers at a popular spot. He doesn’t ride regularly but has done a bit over the years. I dont mind throwing him at something challenging!
    Something that’s not a pita to navigate would be good. Not opposed to an xc type loop but would like some interesting downs mixed in. Ladybower seems to come up in past threads, what’s the deal there? Or like I said any trail centres where we can get a good day in?
    What have you got?!

ElShalimo

Cut Gate from Langsett

Tracey

+ 1 for Cut Gate, and extend at the far end. Its riding well at the moment

docrobster
    Free Member

Yeah cut gate. It’s just so good. Starting at langsett you have the slog up from the res so we tend to start at the ladybower end and just do North America lollipop. Do it clockwise now as it’s been resurfaced. Trouble with that though is access from Leeds and parking so maybe do it from langsett after all. We had to park at cutthroat bridge last time.

https://strava.app.link/7jGsv95Qdpb

There’s also Leeds urban bike park- I’ve been once from Sheff and enjoyed it. Wharny greno etc although steel city currently closed for some pre race tlc.

rstephenson
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Rob I take it that strava distance is for there and back? Is it easy to navigate with a map? Don’t have a gps or particularly want one… Also howcondition dependant is it? Ie will it be miserable going if it’s had a bit of rain on it?

Thinking of other options. Any opinions on Stainburn? And a bit further than I’d like but what do people think of Dalby?

Anything else…?

Cheers

jet26
    Free Member

Cutgate easy to navigate without map,.never mind with!

Now it’s had work done usually ok unless there’s been a massive deluge

rstephenson
    Free Member

Ha ok good to know👍
    Anything else as another option or is this the only thing worth riding in what is quite a large radius?!

ElShalimo

There’s loads of bridleways but if you want to meet almost half way it’s ideal

Bankside cafe (Polka dot) for post ride tea/cake/bacon butty goodness

rsl1
    Free Member

Any opinions on Stainburn?

Personally I love the place. The red is good fun. The black is a trialsy challenge that’s got a bit more flowy in recent years. Above the road has loads of fun unsurfaced trails ranging from flat-ish to Uber steep. How long you stay is pretty dependent on how many times you’re willing to winch back up the hill. It’s a very different day of riding to cut gate though so depends what kind of thing you want.

docrobster
    Free Member

@rstephenson that’s the full ride distance. Half of that was along the side of the reservoir though. If you start at langsett you could just drop down to slippery stones, quick rest then turn round and go back up the hill.
    It’s easy to navigate. Impossible to get lost? Nearly.

steveh

@docrobster – Greno is getting a lot more than pre race tlc. Full top to bottom rebuilds of all trails over 6 weeks by a different build crew!

cyclelife
    Free Member

steveh

@docrobster
    – Greno is getting a lot more than pre race tlc. Full top to bottom rebuilds of all trails over 6 weeks by a different build crew!

Posted 11 hours ago

Full rebuild of Steel City – DH3 and pub run are only minor repairs etc.
    according to ride Sheffield.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.