Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 479 total)
  • Riding two abreast on a two-lane road: yay or nay? (video)
  • GlitterGary
    Free Member

Once again stw petrol heads show how little they actually understand cycling.

See TJ, jumping to conclusions with your blinkers on here. I’ve never even started a car, let alone driven one and have no intention of ever doing so. I believe you have, so you are more of a petrol head than myself. In my eyes you might as well be Jeremy Clarkson.

I have however spent years riding motorcycles, and bicycles on the road, so am fully aware of how to conduct myself on the road.

Like others have said, it’s no good being in the right if you are flattened by a truck (or a big man in a van!).

Those cyclists were being selfish, that’s the top and bottom of it. There was no need to be, there are enough idiots on the road without self righteous cyclists adding to the numbers.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bikes do not hold up traffic they are traffic

THIS! ^^

It’s the responsibility of the passing vehicle to make a safe overtake. If they can’t do that, they should stay where they are.
    This is what people forget. Will 10,20,30 seconds really make a difference to your journey. No. If you’re a tawt you may think it does though.

theprawn
    Free Member

did I say ride in the gutter? no, no i didn’t. you assumed that’s what i meant and you know what assume did, don’t you.

if they rode single file, away from the gutter there would be plenty of room for cars to pass safely, it’s a nice wide road (just look at it).

the difference is that the car and van drivers wouldn’t be getting pissed off with them, swerving in front of them as the van did, another car sounds it’s horn. why needlessly upset people in big metal objects?

Rockplough
    Free Member

The only possible problem I can see here is the cyclists are pootling. I think if you want to use the road you have an obligation to at least try and match traffic speed.

Re single file vs 2 abreast, as has already been pointed out it’s a non-issue. Correct overtaking makes no distinction.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Once again stw petrol heads show how little they actually understand cycling. I am getting used to it now but I find the anti cyclist nonsense on here rather sad.

Having never driven to work, and clocked up 100,000+ miles just cycling to and from work, could you show all the anti-cycling nonsense please? (and not the stuff that is plainly written tongue in cheek), because I can’t see anything particularly outrageous being said.

5thElefant
    Free Member

THIS! ^^

It’s the responsibility of the passing vehicle to make a safe overtake. If they can’t do that, they should stay where they are.
    This is what people forget. Will 10,20,30 seconds really make a difference to your journey. No. If you’re a tawt you may think it does though.
    Plenty of **** around. If you want to annoy one into doing something stupid then that’s fine. Just don’t pretend it’s not in your control.

DezB
    Free Member

Obviously expecting confrontation with the camera filming it all.

That is such utter bollocks.

My words to the van driver – “Are you the f*in police?” not “sorry” that’s for sure.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ian – just read gary glitters posts.and others who want the cyclist to get out of the way and ride in the gutter where they are unsafe.

wrightyson
    Free Member

When people start coming over about to give it large just bin the bike and front up! Mouthy ****, if he’s so bothered about being held up why then pullover to have a go?
    People like that just want dropping!!
    Anyhow we went past a load of roadies on Sunday and they were four abreast!!

GrahamS

Like others have said, it’s no good being in the right if you are flattened by a truck (or a big man in a van!).

How exactly are they in MORE danger by riding two abreast and taking control of the lane? White Van Man clearly saw them and was forced to take appropriate action – though he clearly didn’t like it.

Do you honestly think it would be safer to be riding single file at the kerb while a “truck” or “a big man in a van” squeezes past without leaving his lane??

Those cyclists were being selfish, that’s the top and bottom of it.

Right – so they should be unselfish and put themselves in greater danger so motorists behind them don’t have the frightful inconvenience of changing lanes?

Would you feel the same if they were just a slow car? Or a tractor?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GlitterGary

I have however spent years riding motorcycles, and bicycles on the road, so am fully aware of how to conduct myself on the road.

clearly not if you think the bikes should ride in the gutter to get out of the way.

hora
    Free Member

This has always confused me about certain road riders. They think they are in a Pelaton or on a stage of the Tour and they are important.

I once took offence at a group of road riders in Surrey once which turned into an interesting confrontation.

For over 1/2mile a large group of road cyclings blocked the whole of our ‘lane’- fine I could wait. Then a couple weaved out into the oncoming side of the road. Even on the straight that I was going to use to overtake (that offered enough forward visibility).

It felt like they were deliberating doing this so they could get a ‘rise’ out of a motorist. I got passed (safely) and after I was enough I passed I beeped the horn once out of annoyance. This was immediately (too quickly) met with fingers, coming on then **** you name it. So I stopped. The verbal abuse was ridiculous and pathetic. They came across as almost rabid. Idiots. Interestingly I could see a few within the group didn’t want to participate etc.

I can see why on a winding road you might swerve out to block someone trying a risky overtaking manevour that might end up with a swift move over and cyclists hurt but this wasn’t one of these occasions.

Mountain bikers on the road are totally different. Maybe its a ‘victim/chip’ mindset that some cyclists have. Or maybe self-importance?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Plenty of **** around. If you want to annoy one into doing something stupid

Stupid people will do something stupid whatever you do. If you get annoyed waiting 30 seconds to pass a cyclist, then you should go get some Prozac.

I don’t ride down the middle of my lane, as that would be selfish when riding alone, but nor do I cower in the gutter. It makes me cringe when I see people 1ft or less from the kerb. I’m normally in the inside wheeltrack or thereabouts, and doing a reasonable speed. Make yourself big and obvious, and be confident. It’s rare I have any problems.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

clearly not if you think the bikes should ride in the gutter to get out of the way.

No one has ever said this, you misguided old fool.

For this reason, I am out.

theprawn
    Free Member

the only people to mention riding in the gutter are the people arguing against it. you’re creating an argument out of nothing by your sheer inability to realise that you are not always right and that occasionally there is ‘another way’ of doing things.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Regarding all the stuff on this thread about cyclists being selfish and annoying motorists, I think you’d find that cyclists who are worried about annoying motorists and and get intimidated to the side of the road are generally the ones who end up dead.

I don’t set out to rile anyone up, but I’ll happily annoy the hell out of anyone if I’m in the right and it keeps me safe.

hora
    Free Member

I’d never ride in the gutter – ever. If a car is in front I’ll temper my speed to sit behind and/or go up and over (around) never under.

GrahamS

No one has ever said this, you misguided old fool.

Actually you did. Repeatedly.

theflatboy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

How to be a better cyclist advises cyclists to stay nearer but not close to the kerb on long, even stretches, but where safe and appropriate to do so, to assert themselves (such as when approaching a side road), pushing out into the road and making themselves visible to drivers.

theflatboy: but that’s exactly what they are doing!?

They are approaching a hazard (roundabout) so they are asserting control over their lane, in line with that advice.

“nearer to the kerb” on a “long, even stretch” does not mean two abreast, does it?

and the “side road” mention, i take to mean to avoid cars trying to fly past you and cut you up on left turns, not riding in the middle of a lane near a roundabout.

theprawn
    Free Member

I’ll happily annoy the hell out of anyone if I’m in the right and it keeps me safe

a risky game to play.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

GrahamS- 6/10 for trolling. 0/10 for being able to read. X

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GG – you want the cyclist to move over to let a car past without having to move out of the lane – that would put the cyclist in the gutter in an unsafe road position.

where would you be riding on that road?

warton
    Free Member

the thing is, the only way those cyclists could ride to allow cars to overtake them without going into the overtaking lane is to ride in the gutter, so you are saying that they should ride in the gutter. single file, taking the correct high line would still force cars into the overtaking lane, so whats the difference between that and rding two abreast?

as for the argument that the car had to swerve to avoid them, nearly causing a crash. Maybe, just maybe the driver of that car should open his **** eyes?

cyclists perfectly in the right.

Me and my mates ride two abreast pretty much all the time, however if we’re on a narrow country road and a car comes up behind we always fan out into single file, often we get a thank you wave off the drivers, sometimes we get the finger. nice people and tossers in all walks of live!

EDIT: I cycle on a road like that every day for my commute, as a rule of thumb I keep a line about 50 cms further out than the drain covers on the side of the road, so about a metre, maybe further out, cars have to pull into oncoming traffic to get past me. I very rarely, in fact I’ve never had anyabuse for doing that.

mega
    Free Member

I can’t stand these militant cyclists who go around annoying motorists deliberately under the cover of the highway code. If I came across those two I think i’d bite.

I think i’d overtake safely, gradually slow down to reduce the cyclists speed to an annoying level then speed up every time they go to overtake.

perfectly legal but annoying.

GrahamS

I can’t believe people think the safest place to be is to the LEFT of this guy:

Really?

As for the road being wide enough to ride single file without being in the gutter. Take a look.

I’d say “not in the gutter” means your wheels where his left wheels are, along the edge of the S. If you rode there then I can’t see how he’d get around you without going into the other lane unless he passed waaaay too close.

hora
    Free Member

I’ll happily annoy the hell out of anyone if I’m in the right and it keeps me safe

Dude. That is NOT safe. From experience the angriest motorists with cyclists tend to be slight/podgy short white men who don a 2ton suit of armour that gives them omni potency for once.

Rockplough
    Free Member

a risky game to play.

I do it precisely because in road safety terms it’s less risky. Unless you mean the risk of some idiot confronting me in which case maybe so. I have had one or two ‘encounters’ but (perhaps due to me being over 6 foot with a P.O.W. buzzcut) nobody’s ever got out their car. I’d still rather that than go unseen, or under someone’s wheels.

martinxyz
    Free Member

The van driver would have been thinking that they were being smart asses about their rights and thought they were taking the piss a bit considering the location/build up of traffic.

To be honest, if he calmed down just a tad i reckon he would admit to feeling a bit worried for the cyclists. I dont think he was raging,he just wanted to give them his take on it all. He obviously saw them as being inconsiderate. I do too,to an extent. Kind of like driving down the motorway in the right hand lane,bang on the speed limit with the idea of “well im going the speed limit and im gradually passing the car to my left thats still 300 yards ahead of me but its definitely going slower than me so ill stay in this lane because im in the right”

Arse-in around with being in the right doesnt always add up to be a good or safe way to be.

It reminds me of the group of around a dozen roadies cycling over the Kessock bridge in the left lane when it was still busy after the morning rush hour. In their rights but.. ffs.. are they trying to get fitter to live a longer healthier life or are they quite content at the thought of being killed instantly? Some folk would be better off drinking every night with a couple of brisk walks over the weekend. Probably live longer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

graham – far too close to the kerb – I would be riding at least on the L of slow on that road.

GrahamS

and the “side road” mention, i take to mean to avoid cars trying to fly past you and cut you up on left turns, not riding in the middle of a lane near a roundabout.

I take it to mean approaching any hazard where it is safer to take the primary and that is certainly what Cyclecraft / Bikability teaches.

graham – far too close to the kerb – I would be riding at least on the L of slow on that road.

Agreed TJ, but I’m guessing that is what some people consider to be “not in the gutter”.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m in the nay camp, the main reason why people ride two abreast is to chat, not a safe thing to do in my book. And stay well away from white vans.

theprawn
    Free Member

i’d ride on the O or maybe even the S, one can’t be too careful, i mean look at the over hanging trees near the very deep gutter on the left. a squirrel could fall onto my unhelmeted self-riteous head and knock some sense into me. that would never do.

theflatboy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

I take it to mean approaching any hazard where it is safer to take the primary and that is certainly what Cyclecraft / Bikability teaches.

so the fact you can’t actually see the roundabout you’re talking about for the majority of the clip also confirms you’re in the wrong, then. as it’s quite obviously a “long, even stretch”. 😕 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

so flat boy – what road position would you take? look at the pic Graham posted above.

theprawn
    Free Member

the pic Graham posted is following the angry swerve the van driver made.

he wouldn’t have made the angry swerve, if you those idiots had just ridden single file an arms length from the kerb.

stumpy01

This is not a particularly ideal road to cycle along. If they ride two abreast then they are seen as being stubborn cyclists and getting in people’s way but if they ride single file, they either ride so close to the kerb that cars can squeeze past, or they ride a bit further out and people have to move into the outside lane anyway.

There’s a road like this in Peterborough, here (hope this works:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=peterborough&hl=en&ll=52.60164,-0.266075&spn=0.005219,0.013325&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=20.876975,54.580078&vpsrc=6&hnear=Peterborough,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.601708,-0.266188&panoid=xSQ9j7fQk5Q22mu8A97geA&cbp=12,145.03,,0,7.61

and you get quite a lot of cyclists. What tends to happen is they either ride along at the very edge of the road & people squeeze past very close, or they ride a bit further out (but still by no means in the middle of the lane) and car drivers have to go round them. Problem is, there will invariably be cars in the outside lane, which then winds the overtaker up, as they have to wait to pull out.

I wouldn’t like to cycle along the road in that video, but if I did I’d probably be positioned far enough out that people had to go around me, rather than squeeze past.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I would ride just to the left of the S on a cycle. Motorbike would mostly be in the middle depending on whats up ahead/crests of hills etc. I can see some of the dangers riding to the left but i just feel safer not having to worry about someone not looking ahead,tuning the radio,texting a friend.. and ploughing right into me (if i was bang on in the middle)

Maybe i am hoping for the best when i say that its more likely that someone texting might manage to dodge me a little easier at the last moment if i ride to the left of the S. :o/

rickmeister

Recently did a TCL/MBL course where we were asked/required to cycle on the road in a tight box formation, all 8 of us. This was pretty unsettling and whilst we all took the footprint of a car and forced “proper overtakes”, the abuse and response this provoked was interesting. Riding in this “correct” manner seemed to provoke rather than help and it was pretty uncomfortable.

The logic is sound though, one overtake to pass a box of 8 people or diving in and out to get past a line of 8 over a greater distance….

Still not sure about it all though I have to say.

Cougar

I think if you want to use the road you have an obligation to at least try and match traffic speed.

I’ll pass that nugget on to the next tractor driver I see. Or hearse.

just bin the bike and front up!

You know, I wondered idly what I’d do in their situation. If some huge bloke tried to stop me, who’s just jumped out of a van after seeing me on a nice shiny bike, there is no way on god’s green earth I’d have stopped to talk to him. No way.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

left of the S – so right in the gutter then allowing you to be squeezed into the kerb as vehicles try to squeeze past you? Very dangerous riding position.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 479 total)

The topic ‘Riding two abreast on a two-lane road: yay or nay? (video)’ is closed to new replies.