Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Riding The Pictish Trail – a route down Scotland’s east coast
  • stwhannah

This nice video from occasional STW contributor, Huw Oliver, and first person to complete the HT550 in winter, Annie Evans, may have you planning a tr …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Riding The Pictish Trail – a route down Scotland’s east coast

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

shermer75
    Free Member

Is it easy to get up to Dunnet Head for tye start?

squirrelking
    Free Member

No, I posted on Bearbones about the rail provision;

Class 158’s have basically no provision for cycles, the best you can hope for are a couple of ex-catering trolley cupboards. No, that’s not an exaggeration. That’s your ride from Inverness Northwards. If you’re unlucky it’s your ride all the way, if you’re really unlucky it’s a 170 to Inverness. You can book in advance but you’re still at the mercy of some eejit flinging bags in there.

Pretty sure there was a YouTube video doing the rounds of Lee Craigie stuffing a bike into one to make a point.

Here are the provisions:

Train class Reservations required Number of cycle spaces Tandems /Larger cycles such as cargo cycles allowed
    158 Yes 4 No
    170 Yes 2 No
    Inter7City Yes 6 No

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/guide-travelling-bike-train

You also have Azumas running to Inverness with whatever provision they have.

Oh and on top of all that it’s an all day run for me from Largs and I’m only an hour from Glasgow.

Not trying to put a downer on things but it’s important to manage expectations. It would be nice if they had a 153 from the West Highland line doing the run as well, those buggers have 20 bike slots!

Northwind
    scotroutes

Some questions already answered here…

Feeling Pictish

matt_outandabout

Is it easy to get up to Dunnet Head for tye start?

If there’s more than one of you, companies such as Ticket to Ride can taxi you. Not cheap, but very convenient and reliable.

didnthurt

Is there a bike friendly bus to Thurso?

My Google Fu shows that there is articles about one but can’t actually see how you’d book one. Maybe need to give Stagecoach a call.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/get-board-go-further-bike-and-bus

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.