Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding Snowdon
  • momo

A small group of us are off to Wales next weekend, with the plan being to travel down on Saturday morning, bit of a ride in the afternoon, Snowdon first thing Sunday morning (to be off the hill by 10am) trail centre rides on Sunday afternoon and Monday morning before driving back Monday afternoon.

My question is how long should it take us to get to the top of Snowdon if we’re following the Llanberis path/train, based on a mixture of fitness levels (ie no racing snakes)?

flyingmonkeycorps

‘Bout three hours, give or take. Which way’re you heading down?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

from memory, ’bout 2:15 up 🙁 and 0:16 down 😀

sofatester
    Free Member

I’d give it 3 hours up. Down depends very much on how many pinch flats your get and what route you take.

If your keen leave before sunrise, it really is worth the effort.

saxabar
    Free Member

Some parts of the Llanberis path have been smoothed so it will be a little quicker than it used to be. If you budget for three hours all done, I reckon that might be about right. I take it you’re doing Ranger’s down?

Given mixed ability some of you might be a bit boogered after that, so don’t forget there’s the run down the slate mines option on the other side of Llanberis. You could have breakfast/lunch at Brynrefail and then ascend from there or go down towards Nant Peris and ascend most of the way you’ll come down (you’ll have to head towards Mynydd Llandygai and turn right up to the mines for the top [and steepest] parts). If that looks a little short, you could also fit a loop in of Moel y Ci in and go into the woods for the jumps, drops and berms.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It took us 2hours up, with stoppage for a bite to eat. I can’t remember how long it took to come down rangers – I’d guess 45, 50 minutes.

momo

Cool, thanks for that, we were planning to leave the campsite about 6-6.30 anyway, giving ourselves 3 hours for the climb. Will be coming down on the Rangers path, not looking to kill ourselves chasing times, more about having some fun and being able to say that we’ve done it.

futuresorange
    Free Member

Went up the the rangers path last sep and it took us about 2:30. I believe the Llanberis path is an easier route to ride but longer distance though?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just don’t ride up the train line! 😉

Although has it gone now?

saxabar
    Free Member

Dunno, but that had to be one hell of a hangover!

Fetchezlavache
    Free Member

Yep, gone. Was brought down by the train a few days ago…

Loafer
    Free Member

We did the same sort of thing a few weeks back.

Coed Y Brenin on the Saturday and Snowdon on Sunday morning before 10. We stayed at the Ranger Hostel and rode from there on Sunday morning. Up the first section of Rangers and then across Telegraph poles to Llanberis path. Took about 2 and a quarter hours. Most of it rideable, some sections very steep and rocky and hard to walk. We came down Rangers…that is a quality downhill. It has everything. Fast bits, techy bits you name it.

You’ll have a blast.

DVATC1
    Free Member

heres what you’re in for on the way down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvuZLn_nr2s

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding Snowdon’ is closed to new replies.