Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Riding round St Ives Cornwall
  • Davey
    Free Member

Yay! holiday time next week – got a week in glorious St Ives, Cornwall. Been loads of times before but never had room to take the bike before so mainly done boarding and walking, but got room for a bike (or 2). So should I take the hardtail, the Orange 5 or the road iron?

Any locals got any nice off road routes round there, had a look at a few road routes on quiet lanes – will I have to battle with Caravanners 🙁 Not fussed about the Camel Trail, done that a few times before…

Thanks in advance for any ideas/tips (about routes 🙂

orena45

Some DH tracks very near St Ives, search YouTube for Rosewall. Plenty of stuff around Poldice valley between Redruth and Bissoe that’s worthy of the Five, or head up to the new trail centre at Cardinham Woods near Bodmin.

Probably best seeing of you can hook up with either Penwith MTB or Cornish Trailriders, both are on Facebook I think (CTR are definitely, not sure about PMTB though).

jam-bo

Cardinham is fun. Went there last night for the first time.

Very welsh feel to it. Short though, three laps was about right for a decent ride.

Davey
    Free Member

Thanks Chaps – some good tips, I’ll look them up.

Cheers
    Davey

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Worth popping into the Kegan Teg cage in St Just if you’re passing that way. Not sure whether he’s on here but the chap there is a mountain biker and can probably give you some local tips. Fab cafe too… brilliant burgers!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Some good riding around Madron area,,Plenty of singletracks.

I am near Redruth and can maybe take you out for a few miles,Did have an off 2 weeks ago so not 100% yet due to hand problems

email in profile

18bikes

could Cardinham be blasted on a cyclocross bike?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

18bikes, Few of my mates have ridden it on CX bikes,theres a few sections that are a bit rough,but most of it is smooth enough

jam-bo

could Cardinham be blasted on a cyclocross bike?

If your confident on it. I won’t be taking the full suss there again.

julianwilson
    Free Member

the hells teeth downhill section would be ‘interesting’ on a cx bike (there is a blue option that avoids this and the bastid climb to it), all the rest including the other red bit is definitely 100mm (singlspeed!) hardtail or rigid territory. Great trail, mind, and nice cakes too.

orena45

Yeah it’s good fun on a CX bike for the most part. Only the top section of the final red descent (Hell’s Teeth) is a bit uncomfortable with the loose rocky-slatey surface 😀

jam-bo

and the bastid climb to it)

Tis a bit stiff isn’t it. Fortunately the second time round I’d snapped my mech off and was coasting/pushing/pumping back so missed it out…

robbieh
    Free Member

I,m back at Redruth on Sat. For the week. last time on the coast to coast trail I went through an old quarry of some sort which looked like it could be fun for a bit of a ride round . Also a lot of bits of Singletrack in Tehidy woods but I.m not sure how much there is there.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

theres a lot of riding,can give a few rides too people if they are around my area.

robbieh
    Free Member

Hi Nicolaisam, I.m staying at Tolgus near Trickys. Could I mail you when I.m down?

18bikes

Thanks folks, sounds like that’s worth a try (only room to bring the cross bike down) Staying near Padstow, if anyone has any suggestions for close to there/Bodmin?

MrNutt
    Free Member

road bike – ride to the Gurnards head, have a big lunch, fall asleep in the garden, wake up, have a coffee, cycle back.

actually no, take the HT.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

robbieh- email me mate.

Have thursday and friday off next week, will have to be a gentle ish ride as i crashed a few weeks ago and my hand/wrist isnt 100% yet

robbieh
    Free Member

Hi, sorry last minute drama at home meant my bike got left behind this time. I’m back down in 2 weeks so I’ll mail you then.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Ok

18bikes

Really rather enjoyed Cardinham on the cross bike – laps of the blue, with the first little Red section thrown in, spot on. Glad I bothered!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Riding round St Ives Cornwall’ is closed to new replies.