Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Riding round Aviemore
  • tomj
    Free Member

As the title says! We’re staying with friends near Aviemore (I have major envy!) and I’m looking for suggestions for a ride tomorrow. Online I seem to find family cycle paths or Munro epics! I’m by myself so nothing too remote but looking for around 4-5hr of good mountain bike riding, preferably single track. Don’t mind a bit of hike a bike but draw the line at walking down mega techy downhills!

On Saturday we all went to Loch Morlich so I slipped away for a couple of hours and rode some single track through the woods near Badaguish. My first taste of Scottish access laws and just following my nose in the woods. But our friends (not riders) caution that many of the footpaths have got a many drainage bars they’re not suitable for bikes. So looking for advice rather than just plucking a route from the map!!

Thanks

BoardinBob

High Burnside

thegeneralist
    Free Member

This has been done to death in recent weeks. Though I have to admit, the threads are bloody hard to find….

Glenmore Forest near Aviemore – route recommendations

Laggan & Braemar [Family] Route Advice

many of the footpaths have got a many drainage bars

Yes definitely true

they’re not suitable for bikes

Untrue in general, but take many inner tubes, learn how to do water bars and pump your tyres up loads.

Midgie and Waterbarmageddon on Cairngorm

thegeneralist
    Free Member

PS, the short answer to your question is the end bit of the Lairig Gru

tomj
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Don’t know why Google didn’t find me the previous threads! Now to sit down with the map and all your suggestions

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Don’t know why Google didn’t find me the previous threads!

Wouldn’t worry about it. I couldn’t find them in Google either and I started two of them !😆

Have fun.

kcal

4/5 hours would give you epic singletrack in Feshie / Insh / Kincraig direction, too.

Quite hard to find though; for that, pop into Bothy Bikes and get the map set – will then be easier to ask for hints and tips. Basically if you can get to Uath Lochans, you’ll be pretty content..

scotroutes

Roughly where “near Aviemore” are you? There is a lot of playful singletrack in the woods near Boat of Garten and both sides of the A9/B9153 at Carrbridge. That would keep you entertained for a couple of hours.

tomj
    Free Member

We’re actually staying in Grantown. I’ve already explored the bike park in the woods as you come into town
    Tomorrow the rest of the party are heading back to Loch Morlich for water sports. I don’t like getting wet so I’ll go on the bike! Which means I can have a drop of around Aviemore or Glenmore

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tomorrow the rest of the party are heading back to Loch Morlich

Mmmmm shuttletastic. The Ski Road beckons for a bit of free downhill.

Get dropped at the Cas carpark.
    Head down the road to just beyond where the road splits for the one way system
    Lay-by on the left. As you look down from the top of the lay-by you’ll see a brown track going along the top of a mini spur just below you.
    At the bottom of this layby is an old ( tarmacced?) Road that heads left. Go 100m along this, then break left along the trail on the ridge that you just saw.
    At the end of the ridge ( it’s only tiny) the path drops down steeply to the right. Follow this.
    It pops out onto the steps from the switchback carpark with the fruit related name. Follow it down to the footbridge.
    Turn right and follow the path along the Riverside back down to the Hayfield.
    Go south side of Morlich.
    Up the end of the lairig gru.
    Turn round and back down the LG
    Then back across to Badaguish to do one of the trails there…

Or do the Gap….. ( but if you do, ensure you take Colin’s advice and miss the actual Gap by taking the path over the hill to the right)

didnthurt

Some great advice there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Riding round Aviemore’ is closed to new replies.