Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Riding road bike way too much (and enjoying it!)
  • oli2001
    Free Member

What with all the weather. i’m reaching for the roadie all the time lately it seems! cant face all the mud and crud. help me get my mtb motivation back please!
    Tried buying new bits, watching the midweek vids etc but just cant face the slop. Am I lost forever to the tarmac…………..

dantsw13

Take a trip somewhere not wet! Last week I was in San Diego with work, riding some lovely dry dusty trails!

mikey74
    Free Member

Take up downhilling: The tracks tend to be better maintained.

Having said that, I’m loving my cross bike at the moment.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I know where your coming from. Since getting my sensa road bike I just find it so much easier than loading the mtb onto the car, traveling a minimum of half an hour to get to any decent trails. Even a ninety minute ride will take the best part of the day, what with traveling to and from the trails and cleaning it when I get back. Within five minutes of setting off on the roadbike I’m in the Trough of Bowland. When I get back it’s just a case of wiping it down if it’s mucky ( a five minute job). But I’m a mountain biker at heart though so I’ve made a point of entering the PMBA gravity enduro series to try and reignite my passion for off roading.

willber
    Free Member

i’m going the same way Oli

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go somewhere rocky!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Road bikes are great, embrace road riding! And when the trails are dry and you dust off the mtb you’ll have awesome roadie fitness which will make it even more fun 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Same here. Haven’t touched the mountain bike for a few months.

scandalous
    Free Member

Same here

coastkid
    Free Member

Sandy trails here near the coast, guess i`m a lucky git!.
    I used to reguarly drive an hour to ride trails or Trail centres, also took most of the day to ride 2-3 hours.
    Changed my bikes for where i stay-from full suss to 29er rigid and fatbikes now. Is it as much fun?, well it`s a different fun,no driving needed and i get in more saddle time these days-and so also fitter.
    I spend less on these bikes too so now have more bikes!.
    I also commute more now on drop bar bikes (Genesis Cdf, old 80s Peugot Triathlon with CX tyres, and a drop bar 29er) and also ride these on old railway line walks and shooting tracks this now in winter so i still get in more saddle time 🙂

If i did not have these doorstep riding options then i would probably just own a crossbike/tourer like my Cdf and do more road miles.

smogmonster

I went through this 2 years ago..sick of the constant mud splattered hell of winter I went over to ‘them’. Frankly I didn’t get my mtb mojo back at all. You get obsessed with miles, ascent, Strava (even more so) and Pelotons. Ive gone to the point of ordering a new Cube Stereo to make me get back into mountain biking, and have a ‘healthier’ balance between the two this year.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

double post

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Me too, despite throwing cash at the MTBs I’m lost to the road. Even booked up to go to the Alps road riding in the summe when i initially planning an off road trip

fenn123
    Free Member

Actually I am the other way at the moment. With this weather i am grabbing the MTB and riding local wood and trails as I have loads of friends who have either come off in the wet or hit a pothole in the water etc and have done some damage to themselves meaning they now cant ride at all. MTB seems a safer bet – although its been xc style riding not DH.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I do both, road riding is great for fitness etc but it doesn’t put a grin on your face and other than the riding it more, it doesn’t present the same mental challenge. Ride what you’re happy with.

hooli

Funny enough, I have been using the MTB more recently with the rain. Lots of flooded roads and debris washed onto the roads around here mean I need to use busier roads that make it hard going and a bit dangerous.

The tracks near me are wetter than a wet thing but quite enjoyable.

erny
    Free Member

Same here, it’s nice not to have a 1 1/2 hour road trip in the car and 20 mins washing the bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hmmm. I bought a road bike last year. It’s good, it’s nice to ride, riding bikes is always good…. But it’s not even close to MTBing. Rather tedious in comparison IMO.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I think some of the above posts sum it up for me too; road bike is just about riding – not wheel size, number of gears, amount of suspension, pre ride faffing or post ride spaffing – just cycling in it’s simplest purest form 🙂

Mtb now just for commuter duties when it’s a just bit too foul for the proper bike.

stumpy01

OP – I am the same at the moment, but it is very much like this, for me…..

PeterPoddy – Member
    Hmmm. I bought a road bike last year. It’s good, it’s nice to ride, riding bikes is always good…. But it’s not even close to MTBing. Rather tedious in comparison IMO.

It’s more of a tool to help me get fitter and it is convenient. But, I am yet to go on a road ride and get the same enjoyment I get riding the mountain bike off-road. Even a lap of Rutland Water on the mtb is preferable to a road ride, from an enjoyment point of view.

We are off to Afan this weekend for two days of ridng and I am pant-wettingly excited!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Riding road bike way too much (and enjoying it!)’ is closed to new replies.