Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Riding Rigid – Any tips?
  • ollietrex
    Free Member

Just got a Kona Unit 2-9 29er rigid after riding a 26" converted single speed with a suspension fork for the last 12 months. I said I would try riding rigid for a while to see if I can get used to it but struggling a bit, any one got any tips other than to stick a suspension fork on it?

Can generally ride everything I would on a suspension fork just a hell of a lot slower, is it just a matter of time and getting used to it?

sofatester
    Free Member

Can generally ride everything I would on a suspension fork just a hell of a lot slower, is it just a matter of time and getting used to it?

You have just answered your own question. 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Time for a dose of MFTU I think 🙂

Everything you'd normally ride but slower sounds about right though.

13thfloormonk

Fat tyres obviously!

Other than that, raising the front end might help, making it easier for you to klift the wheel over stuff.

I used to race downhill on rigid forks, obviously i was last man down every time, assuming i made it down. I took every measure i could short of surgery to reduce arm pump, skinny grips, brake levers close to the bars and wide bars. I still came last every time, but enjoyed it.

druidh
    Free Member

Are you having less fun or just in a bit of a hurry?

ollietrex
    Free Member

Ah sure I am enjoying it, was just wondering if any one had any suggestions

kinda666
    Free Member

You will learn to pick better lines, which won't help when you take a full bouncer round the beast at CYB and try and do the same! 🙁

jackal
    Free Member

Line choice becomes a bit more crucial.
    Fit some decent riser bars, maybe bigger tyres.
    Don't keep as much weight over the front as you haven't got the sus there to plough through it for you.
    Oh and 'try' and be smooth.
    stick with it you'll be a better rider for it.
    🙂

ollietrex
    Free Member

The current fork is steal, would swapping to a carbon rigid fork make much difference?

llama

get the pressure right in the tyres

some nice padded gloves – roadie mits are best imo

the faster you go the easier it is

crazy-legs

I started out a cheap-ish HT which was fine, did the job. After a couple of years I upgraded to a titanium bike which was fully rigid (with titanium forks). First race I did I was pre-riding the course and crashing down a rocky descent, bike bouncing horribly at every rock, me with brakes full on wondering why my amazing new bike was so rubbish!
    Then I realised that if I did the counter-intuitive thing of letting the brakes off, I was much faster and smoother.

It takes a lot of learning but you do soon pick up at least the basic technique of it and it makes you a much better rider when you get back to front or full suspension.

jonathan
    Free Member

The current fork is steal, would swapping to a carbon rigid fork make much difference?

Not necessarily – some steel forks are stiff, and some are more forgiving. And the same goes for carbon forks really.

My top 3 tips are:

1. Big tyres
    2. Relax
    3. Keep steering at all times

miketually
    Free Member

Loft the front wheel and weight over the back. Let the bike move underneath you.

Keva
    Free Member

you just have to 'ride' the bike alot more and look more carefully where the front wheel is going. Lift up to go over stuff, find little gaps inbetween obstacles to steer through etc. It's more work that's all. I can ride rigid at pretty much the same speed just end up a bit more knackered at the end.

Kev

epicyclo

Set up your riding position so that your weight is on the pedals and so that you do not need to support yourself on the bars.

Then you can make use of the 10"+ of suspension in your legs

MrAgreeable

just a hell of a lot slower

You'll fly up the hills!

messiah
    Free Member

29er… therein lies the problem. If you had "real" wheels on it you would be a riding GOD by now 😉

Ride more, worry less.

emac65
    Free Member

Run a biggish volume front tyre with about 20-25 psi in it.

Clink

As above.
    29er more comfort than 26er rigid.
    Big tyre low pressure.
    Decent forks (I like the O-O carbons).
    Nice wide comfy bars – I use ti h-bars and they make a difference.
    Decent grips – just started using esi silicon ones and impressed so far.
    Relax.
    😀

clubber
    Free Member

Ride rigid and either accept that you'll have less control/be slower/get more punctures or get some suspension. I happily ride rigid through the winter, accepting those caveats.

There's no getting round it really. Carbon forks won't make a significant difference.

AdamM
    Free Member

Comments above have covered the on-the-bike stuff, but it will also help if you do some off-the-bike strengthening exercises to build up your arms. The stronger your arms are (forearms in particular) the easier it will be to grip the bars, reducing arm pump, etc and making riding rigid more comfortable.

sofaking
    Free Member

a big front tyre at a sensible pressure for comfort

drink some alcohol to numb the pain, but not too much as it will blur your vision when it gets bumpy

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'm glad i learned to ride a mtb back in the day when suspension wasn't the norm so i don't have to worry about this sort of thing!

hazeii
    Free Member

A carbon fork will definitely save you a bit; same as anything flexy on the front end will (suspension forks, big low pressure tyres, wide twangy and/or carbon bars etc – the 29" wheeel will already be helping).

But to my way of thinking, the main thing is to read the trail ahead; nothing like a seriously stiff front end to act as an incentive to this!

Helios
    Free Member

messiah – Member

Ride more, worry less.

Amen to that…

sofatester
    Free Member

i'm glad i learned to ride a mtb back in the day when suspension wasn't the norm so i don't have to worry about this sort of thing!

+1

poppa
    Free Member

Riding rigid? Wear baggy shorts.

Ba-dum-tish.

zaskar
    Free Member

Fatter tyres for cushioning and grip?

Keep elbows bent.

Get used to it the more you ride rigid.

Or buy cheap sprung fork.

I wouldn't bother getting a carbon fork after using a steel fork.

Clink

I wouldn't bother getting a carbon fork after using a steel fork

I disagree – but it must depend on which forks, rider weight, terrain etc.

Ti29er
    Free Member

You've made 2x huge changes in one go.

It's taken me most of the year to get the best from a move to 29ers.
    I can't believe the difference it's made to evey ride.
    But I tried a CF rigid front end and saw no benefit what so ever.
    Then I asked myself: Why run rigid forks?
    Now have an 80mm Fox front end from eBay and it's a delight on every ride.
    Ditch the rigid forks, they'll give your body a work out / pounding you simply don't benefit from in any way, you'll be slower on anything rocky or gnarly or bumpy in fact anything XC (!), your shoulders, hands, wrists, chest will not thank you at all for the pounding you'll be receiveing.
    Unless you ride very smooth trails then get them on eBay asap and do yourself a favour!
    ps – I only spent one day, 6hrs, with rigid forks on a magazine shoot and never again. On the 2nd shoot we were shod with suspension on the front end, and that's all the experience I have as such.

But welcome the world of 29ers – prepared to be re-engaged by mountain biking as you'd hardly credit it! Every ride, every trail is like riding it anew. The other tip is RRalf 2.25's a revelation, huge, and they look clown-esque I agree, but brilliant.

CountZero

Ignore those harping on about not keeping the bike rigid. Get some carbon forks and bars, they'll damp out the high-frequency buzz that numbs your hands, plus making the front nice and light for lifting over stuff. I have a rigid singlespeed with O-O carbon forks and carbon bars that I've been riding for a couple of years, preceeded by a converted Handjob with steel rigid forks and the same bars, and the difference is significant. And I do ride suspension as well, a hardtail with 160mm forks, and a Remedy 66 with 145mm Nixons, and the rigid SS is the bike I'd keep if I could only have one. I'd prefer 650b wheels, but I don't think the Inbred frame will accept them, tho' the forks will. Give it some time, use nice fat tyres, like 2.3's, well padded gloves and some thicker grips, like ODI Mushrooms, or the Rogues. The wagon-wheels will certainly help rolling over rocky stuff.

MrAgreeable

ps – I only spent one day, 6hrs, with rigid forks

Well that's a sound body of experience to base an opinion on. 😉

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I would say that a WTB Stout 2.3 at low pressure is a great help. Line choice becomes more critical and being able to ride light on the bike help. I have my bikes (both rigid 29ers) set up so I am "draped over the bike" in a relaxed position…don't go for the head down XC race position or the DH all the weight on the saddle set ups.

SSP

plumber
    Free Member

I first bought on of the on one invreds at 299 for a laugh – ended up really enjoying it

Then bought one on the 853 limited edition SS inbreds and on one carbon forks – blinged it with a bit of hope and CK – it is the bike I ride most because it is the most fun, I even ride it the most since my move to Canadia – I hope it will be with me for a long time to come

Ride fast – I have 2.1 trailrakers at 40 pps – not problem at all

Plum

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just back from riding the same trails on my rigid Inbred tonight as I did on the Soul with suspension forks last night.

The main difference I find is that I need to be more precise with the placing of the front wheel with the rigid bike, and in particular make sure that any obstacles are hit straight on.

My Inbred has quite narrow tyres (Fire XC Pro 1.8's) on but I prefer it like that.

andrewh
    Free Member

I find foam grips help loads on fast vibratey stuff, forearms numb otherwise. It'lll do your line-selection skills a load of good too, stick with the rigid.

miketually
    Free Member

Here's the biggest rigid fork secret: *whispers* It's actually not that hard, but everyone will think you're hard/mad for doing it. *whispers*

I should probably try a bike with a suspension fork at some point, but I've survived the last 16 years or so with rigid forks so I don't really see the need.

the_flying_scotsman
    Free Member

I rode a fully rigid SS for years. Granted, it did have a titanium fork which smoothed out a little of the trail buzz. You learn to ride a little differently; picking the right line becomes much more important, but you'll learn fast. Steering is very, very precise, the bike goes exactly where you point it. As for being slower, I tend to disagree – A few of my mates who ride full bouncers have found out that rigid can be at least as fast.

Pieface

I'm interested to know how riding a fully rigid SS is different to riding a regular rigid bike, as I'm considering venturing into either / both areas.

simon1975

I think it's all been said but:
    -Keep your elbows out (someone said "bent" above – same thing)
    -Get a fat front tyre (I use 2.35 at ~20 PSI)
    -Smile

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Riding Rigid – Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.