Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Riding on the actual Pennine Way
  • russianbob
    Free Member

Hello all, after a bit of route advice….

Dropping No1 off early in Horton-In-Ribblesdale for her Gold DoE practise on Saturday and am thinking of doing a loop as I’ll be in the area. Looking at south to Helwith Bridge, then up Pennine Journey to the road, was then thinking of going up and over Fountains Fell to Malham Tarn, back along Pennine Bridleway to Settle, then maybe onto other side of the valley back to Horton.

Only potentially tricky bit is Fountains Fell, with it being the Pennine Way and a footpath, so a couple of questions….

– How militant are the walkers?
    – Is it worth it or would that bit be crap riding anyway?
    – Any other route suggestions for that little bit? Ideally want to head over to Malham Tarn and then back over the PBW as might meet No1 coming the other way.

Any ideas much appreciated.

martinhutch

1) Depends on the walker, really. You are more likely to get disapproval from the farm you have to pass through at the bottom on the other side.
    2) From that direction, bit of pushing on the way up, fairly well-maintained singletrack with some steps on the way down. I’ve only done it once, from the other direction, which was more rideable, I’d say.

You could drop into Littondale via Dawson Close instead, then back up at Arncliffe Cote to Malham Tarn, which I would only recommend in the current dry conditions. The PBW section over towards Langcliffe is a fast bit of track, I’d recommend not bothering to drop to Settle, but keep following the PBW rightwards, down to Stainforth, then minor roads up to Wharfe, BW to Thieves Moss and Borrins, then either turn R and head into Horton, or carry on up to Old Ing, pick up the Pennine Way again and follow that back into the village.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Riding on the actual Pennine Way’ is closed to new replies.