Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • riding on costorphine hill – yay or nay?
  • debaser

CEC website info on cycling in parks

Buried away on the CEC website, this might be relevant in some ways. Although for a lots of places it depends on your definition of a ‘path’.

I find it odd that the Council say this on their website yet continue to renew no cycling signs all over the city.

dazzlingboy

IMBA – good to hear this is being considered. Some kind of formal trails more or less in the city center is surely a great idea and fairly unique in the UK afaik.

druidh
    Free Member

Remember that Holyrood Park isn’t a CEC property, so these guidelines don’t necessarily apply there.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/edinburgh-biking

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    farty81
    Free Member

A lot has been said already but I’ll add a bit.

My mates and I have been cycling up/down/around Corstorphine Hill (Corry H, Clerry H) for well over 15 years. A blast up the Hill is one of the best ways to fill a summer evening, without doubt. I used to live in Drum Brae about 2 mins away, but I now live about a 15 min cycle; however, I’ll still be heading up regularly.

You can happily spend an hour there without covering the same bit of trail twice and there are some superb natural drops, jumps, descents and climbs. Lots of nice wee sections of trail which have appeared over the years. My favourite blast is down to Corstorphine Road along the fence of the Zoo. Nice single track at the top past the wall and you can really motor over the grass clearings and take some pretty big air over the fire site. It really is a gem in West Edinburgh. Which other city in the UK lets you mountain bike past a herd of Zebras?!

Back to the OP – there is absolutely nothing wrong with cycling on the Hill. The ‘Friends of Corstorphine Hill’ are ill-informed and petty. The way they block the trails actually causes more harm to the environment than if they just left everyone to their own devices. I do worry sometimes that some of the kids might not be the most considerate but sensible adults should not cause any hard feelings with the walkers.

IMBA – interesting that you are getting involved, I’ve always thought that Corstorphine Hill’s trails, if formalised, could make a superb mini-trail centre, although I’m pretty sure there aren’t enough to be for the exclusive use of anyone in particular. I guess they’d have to be shared but they could be way-marked, I suppose. It will certainly give the considerable number of MTBers a voice.

stuartm555
    Free Member

Yep corstorphine hill is great 🙂 was up last week and spent 2 hours blasting around the dusty trails. Planning on going up tomorrow night about 7pm if anyone’s about

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘riding on costorphine hill – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.