Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • riding on costorphine hill – yay or nay?
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

my girlfriend took a spin up there yesterday for the first time, having checked that it was ok to cycle up there. halfway through some walkers gave her a hard time and telling her she’s not allowed to cycle. she pointed out that everything she’s researched suggests she can, then the walker started to back down a wee bit, but not without giving plenty of warnings about the lengths people go to to stop cycling (glass, branches etc)

so what’s the deal with the hill?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IMO not 100% clear but I believe the LFA provisions allow for cycling on the hill. However being reasonable means avoiding busy times and wet weather and being very polite and giving way to walkers on narrow paths and so on

MrKmkII
    Free Member

that’s kinda what the walker ended up saying, but with opposite bias i.e. it’s a grey area but probably not.

my girlfriend was certainly all those things though. just the wet weather i’m not too sure on

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Yes you can cycle there, with care though, usual responsibilities stuff.
    It’s a bit of an old folks home / dog walker site.
    You can also tell sanctimonious morons to go and procreate with themselves if they don’t like cyclists.
    Nails in wood, glass, branches across trails is their game.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Cycling on Cossie hill is perfectly legal, was banned before under local bye-laws. Under the Scottish oudoor access code you can access the area responsibly. The problem with Cossie hill is “the Friends of Corstorphine hill” some of them are anti anything but themselves, citing erosion and scaring the badgers to keep bikes of the hill. Some of them do keep putting branches on trails but you’ll soon learn where they are, and are not so bad as they were in the past.

epicyclo

Incomers, were they?

gamo
    Free Member

Ride up a fair bit and never had any bother although have seen some numties
    coming down at warp speed! totally oblivious to any one else and probably the
    cause off any hassle.

bigjim

Incomers, were they?

No need for racism, surely?

I’ve not ridden Corrie Hill since about 1998, when you weren’t supposed to, but there were some nice trails. I quite liked the soundtrack of monkeys. Its certainly somewhere I can imagine there would be some hostility towards bikers and i think they’ve had trouble with kids building jumps on badger setts and so on.

GW
    Free Member

Corrstorphine Hill has sufferd from walkers thinking they own the hill and giving bikers greif for as long as I can remember (20+years).. there was even some **** who decided to booby trap blind DH lines at one point. It’s 100% fine to ride there.. carry on, even at warp speed if you have the common sense not to endanger/annoy others.. just be careful and friendly and courteous to others! (naturally 😉 )

bigjim

Corrstorphine Hill has sufferd from walkers thinking they own the hill and giving bikers greif for as long as I can remember (20+years)..

To be fair its only the last few years its been legal to ride bikes there isn’t it? Booby trapping is out of order though.

Hoping epicyclo will come back to explain his ‘incomers’ comment a bit more…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Incomers = English people who don’t understand the idea of access in Scotland and there are a lot of those in Edinburgh. Trails round Corstorphine Hill are great, lots of them and soome are pretty damn technical. I ride there a lot and ignore people who try to tell me that I am not allowed to ride there.

GW
    Free Member

To be fair its only the last few years its been legal to ride bikes there isn’t it?

No. “To be fair” it’s never been illegal 😉

GW
    Free Member

SBZ – the first rule of ScotClub is never…

you still have time to edit your post 😉

bigjim

Dammit george stop trying to justify other people’s racist comments. Anyway I think he really meant the first three words of your response 😉

No. “To be fair” it’s never been illegal

Really? I thought there were once bye laws for places like Corry Hill, Meadows etc which no longer apply which stated you couldn’t ride bikes? In fact I’m sure I can remember riding past the signs that said it (!). It definitely used to be illegal to ride in Holyrood Park because I got stopped by the (presumably bored) cops and details taken for just riding along the footpath by the road in the park some time in the late 90’s.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

well, i never thought i’d invoke racism with such a simple question. but thanks for clearing up that all english are ignorant, all scots are supremely knowledgeable 🙄 thanks to everyone else though, with your more considered help and discussion. i suspected as much (and i’m english! my god how on earth did i ever know about right to roam? i’m surprised i can even read)

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

There aren’t any Scottish people in Edinburgh 😕

MrKmkII
    Free Member

how very dare you! my girlfriend is scottish. i suppose ‘we’ are stealing them from ‘you’

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Holyrood park is an interesting case. Druidh did a bit of looking into it and the original bylaws that prohibited cycling were very unclear and subject to interpretation ( written before mountainbikes). Now does the LRA trump the royal park bylaws?

Like many of these grey areas it needs to be settled in court to get a definitive answer but it would seem clear that cycling is now permitted in the parks so long as it remains reasonable.

Many of the parks and similar areas have removed the no cycling signs that used to be there

MrKmkII
    Free Member

there’s a leaflet published by edinburgh council promoting cycling in the meadows – it suggests one of the nicest paths to cycle is the one from whale bone arch – upon which cycling is not permitted!

bigjim

there’s a leaflet published by edinburgh council promoting cycling in the meadows – it suggests one of the nicest paths to cycle is the one from whale bone arch – upon which cycling is not permitted!

back when I was working on the edinburgh core paths plan I raised concern about an image we were including which showed cyclists on one of these no cycling paths, but apparently you are now allowed to and there were plans to remove the no cycling paint, but I guess its not worth it/not happened.

well, i never thought i’d invoke racism with such a simple question. but thanks for clearing up that all english are ignorant, all scots are supremely knowledgeable

yeah that really p!ssed me off too. epicyclo would probably explode with rage if he met me, i’m the ultimate ‘incomer’, I’m half polish, part geordie, albeit part glaswegian, born to incomer parents in scotland, i’ve always lived in Scotland and even refer to myself as scottish, the horror! I’m awaiting the words ‘settler watch’ being daubed on my house now…

Holyrood park is an interesting case. Druidh did a bit of looking into it and the original bylaws that prohibited cycling were very unclear and subject to interpretation ( written before mountainbikes). Now does the LRA trump the royal park bylaws?

I don’t know either, tempting to drop the park authority an email to ask if has been clarified. At a guess because the byelaws are in relation to the royal status they might override other things.

balfa
    Free Member

Now does the LRA trump the royal park bylaws?

#

I believe it doesn’t as it belongs to the Queen or some simliar guff. I know from an old climbing guidebook that there was some condition of the exemption that said there was meant to be a review of access in the park when the new access laws came into place. To my knowledge they never did review this and climbing is still a grey area which you can climb but not use any gear! As for biking I got the impression that they were no longer enforcing it like they used to if at all.

BikePawl
    Free Member

To my knowledge they never did review this and climbing is still a grey area which you can climb but not use any gear!

I don’t think that is quite right, as far as I know they allowed access to the south quarry if you are a member of a climbing club or went to the park police and registered to climb. This allowed you to climb in the south quarry with or without gear. There are however only a few routes with decent belays at the top, but plenty of good bouldering including the technical black wall traverse british 6b.

dazzlingboy

Some of the signs at Blackford Hill (where I regularly walk the dogs) still say no cycling. Other, newer signs state that responsible cycling permitted.

I got in a bit of bother some time ago for biking on Blackford as it was certainly banned under local bylaws at the time.

balfa
    Free Member

“there is a ban on roped climbing in the park” from ukclimbing. No idea how update that is though.

bigjim

I got in a bit of bother some time ago for biking on Blackford as it was certainly banned under local bylaws at the time.

One of the rangers that used to be there was almost violently anti-cyclist, not sure what situation is now but I do pop down there in the evening sometimes and don’t come across anyone to annoy.

BikePawl
    Free Member

From lowland outcrops

All of the cliffs in the park are covered by by-laws outlawing climing. However climbing has been tolerated in the south quarry for a number of years. For the rest of the crags, the 2003 LRA states that all existing by-laws restricting access must be reviewed by 2006.

I always took this to mean that you could climb roped in the south quarry, it may be that the rangers turn a blind eye to it.

epicyclo

bigjim – Member
    “Incomers, were they?”
    No need for racism, surely?

Racism? I carefully picked my words to avoid pointing a finger at the English.

People who come from places where access is excluded without specific permission are more likely to object to cyclists. Basically it seems the objectors don’t understand the concept of sharing paths and the right to roam.

The very few times I have had problems with people on singletrack up here in the Highlands, they have had English accents. And I might add I meet plenty English people on the paths up here and it would be a miniscule minority who would raise an objection.

I suspect in England it is much the same minority making the fuss, with the difference that there they have a leg to stand on.

And BigJim, if you regard yourself as Scottish, then IMO, you are Scottish.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Quick question…where is this Costorphine hill you speak of? I live in Crammond and haven’t ridden there so maybe someone could show me around sometime? Cheers.

bigjim

Racism? I carefully picked my words to avoid pointing a finger at the English.

People who come from places where access is excluded without specific permission are more likely to object to cyclists. Basically it seems the objectors don’t understand the concept of sharing paths and the right to roam.

The very few times I have had problems with people on singletrack up here in the Highlands, they have had English accents. And I might add I meet plenty English people on the paths up here and it would be a miniscule minority who would raise an objection.

I suspect in England it is much the same minority making the fuss, with the difference that there they have a leg to stand on.

And BigJim, if you regard yourself as Scottish, then IMO, you are Scottish.

OK Fairy snuff – having grown up in Inverness with the talk of ‘incomers’ and ‘settlers’ it is something that really annoys me to this day so I jumped on it. Its probably fair to say a lot of scottish people would be referring to the english in a derogotary manner with that kind of comment, which is something I hate and is a step up from the usual football type banter.

Quick question…where is this Costorphine hill you speak of? I live in Crammond and haven’t ridden there so maybe someone could show me around sometime? Cheers.

Its that big hill with the lights on it, behind the zoo, accessible to you from Davey mains park side. Lots of little tracks and more defined footpaths on it. And lots of dog poop.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought druid had received email confirmation from SNH or whoever that it was kosher to ride on the paths on AS?

RID you can access it from the road from Barnton to Blackhall (forget what it’s called)

epicyclo

bigjim – Member
    ‘And BigJim, if you regard yourself as Scottish, then IMO, you are Scottish.’
    OK Fairy snuff – having grown up in Inverness…

Ah, the dear old Inversnecky racists – they’re even more objectionable about the people from the Islands.

I did some growing up there too 🙂

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I used to work in Torridon and there was a guy who lived in the village who originated from the Black Isle. He was classed an an incomer by the locals, even after decades of living in the Torridon area!

FWIW BigJim, I suspect you just took the bait! 🙂

Used to ride corrie hill around 1998 and never saw any traps, logs, fishing wire between trees etc but did hear the stories. Not been up there for years though. Not sure if it’s worth it really.

Went for a run up Arthur’s Seat last week and was nearly knocked over by a DHer who had just came off the summit, DH rig, full face helmet, armour, the lot. was riding like a complete arse….did look fun though.

Edinburgh’s a funny old place.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’ve lived 5 minutes from CH for the last 11.5 years and have been down it once on a bike last year. Thought it was a bit of a laugh but sounds like there’s a LOT more to be tried.

Thanks for the unintented heads up! Anything else (not the urban stuff) I’m missing in the burgh?

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I’ve only been up Corstorphine Hill in the snow, what I’ve seen means it’s hardly worthwhile otherwise but maybe I’m just more concerned about exactly where I go and haven’t found the good stuff.

I had an old guy walking his dog tell me off for cycling on the Cammo estate during the winter. I was very polite and asked where it said I could not do so. “In there” said he, pointing to the (locked) Ranger building. I pointed out that I had a perfect right to cycle there under the 2003 Act. Unfortunately I was too late in realising that it was actually he who was breaking the law as he was not controlling his dog in the manner required by the Act, or I would have dropped that in to the conversation.

I would suggest that 6(1)(d) of the Act means that access rights do not apply to the Royal Park at Arthur’s Seat.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Well, I’m heading over there in about 5 minutes, if anyone wants to join me. I’ll be wearing a sky blue helmet.

AntM
    Free Member

coming back to AS and Holyrood Park I picked up a leaflet from the ranger office that’s next to the parliment building the other weekend. It states and i quote from the passage next to a wee symbol of a bloke on a bike ‘Please keep your bike on the paths and roadways as cycling off-road damages plant life and archaeology’. On the map opposite there are the main paths shown such as the radical road and the summit path. I presume from all this you can ride (responsibly)on such paths…

bigjim

Ah, the dear old Inversnecky racists – they’re even more objectionable about the people from the Islands.

I did some growing up there too

I suspect its a bit different these days as so many people from down south and overseas have now moved to inverness, but there was a lot of bull when I was growing up, kids getting called FEBs and getting beaten and chased, settler watch intimidating people and so on.

imba
    Free Member

Some interesting post and opinions there guys…

IMBA-UK would be interested in meeting and talking to riders who use Costorphine Hill (especially those who build trails up there) in an attempt to negotiate use with the land owner (Edinburgh Council) and to assist in formalising specific mountain bike trails on the site.

I actually visited the site yesterday with our local rep to look into such possibilities, IMBA-UK will be producing a document containing recommendations for future development and sustainability of cycling on Costorphine Hill in coming weeks and it would be great to include the views of riders already using the area.

You can contact our area rep Roz Pollock roz.pollock@imba.org.uk who is based in Edinburgh or myself directly mark.mcclure@imba.org.uk

I hope to hear from you soon

Mark McClure

Chairman IMBA-UK

bigjim

I think there was a recent thread on here relating to the plans to build formal bike trails on Corstorphine hill, which had something with the discussion between CEC rangers and the ‘friends’ of corry hill. I think they are going to see how the consultation for craigmillar goes before progressing with Corry hill.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘riding on costorphine hill – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.