Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • 'RIDING' no place in cross?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

The exact spot. Here the Elites and race winner adopt the ‘pick it up and run’ tactic.

D0NK

Or a smashed rear mech.

I’ll bear that tactic in mind if anyone (repeatedly) tries that on me – but like I said I’ve only ever been in nice races 😉

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve only raced one cross race and to be honest it summed up all the stuff I find fun in MTB racing. I really should pul my finger out and race some more. The whole race-within-a-race, and the actual racing bits are what I enjoy. This is probably because I’m never near the front! Enjoy the moment 😉

I’ve done quite a bit of singlespeed racing and they are the definition of chilled out, but I’ve also had some of my most fun racing in them. Mid-pack duelling, see-saw battles to be the first into that section of singletrack, carving a creative line (on or off the bike) to jump a place. All smiles during and after because that’s what racing is about.

As an aside, one of the most beautiful bits of racing I’ve seen was Jose Hermida’s dismout-run-remount of the tricky climb out of Worry Gill at the Dalby World Cup in 2010. So smooth and fast it was hard to see the joins… and so much faster than those riding it 😉

DenDennis
    Free Member

interesting one this.
    That pic oldgit shows up there makes it look like there would be loads of room for either a faster riding or running competitor to get past, without expecting a slower runner to move.

I thought people were suggesting that even if you’re somewhere where there physically no room (eg wooded singletrack with high bushes either side), a runner, walker, or stationary racer having a rest, could effectively block the whole track for a bit.
    is that really allowed?

I agree that shouting ‘rider’ is not helpful. However, if someone’s basically standing across the track sorting their dropped chain out when you’re trying to ride (or indeed carry) past I’d say thats simply not on, what?

oldgit
    Free Member

nteresting one this.
    That pic oldgit shows up there makes it look like there would be loads of room for either a faster riding or running competitor to get past, without expecting a slower runner to move.

Yep plenty of room. However if you choose to ride a steep slow section your lines as we all know can be limited. If you run (as in the cross in cyclo cross) you can duck and dive past people.

I thought people were suggesting that even if you’re somewhere where there physically no room (eg wooded singletrack with high bushes either side), a runner, walker, or stationary racer having a rest, could effectively block the whole track for a bit.
    is that really allowed?

No.In reality a struggling rider will always move, especially if they know they’re a hinderence. The bigger problem is when you encounter someone who doesn’t reailise how slow they are going. Coming across a slow rider in a tight section is basically bad luck.

import
    Free Member

Oldgit, did the guy run up the first (steep) bank, remount at the top and then try to ride up the second one, in the middle of the first lap melee? I don’t remember seeing anyone riding up the steepest one on the first lap of the vets, so I’m assuming that’s what he did…
    If so, he’s a bigger fool than we thought, and made completely the wrong decision in the heat of the moment.

I’ve got a video on my phone of the Juniors on that section which will eventually upload to Youtube.

It’s ‘cross – if you want to have a clean line at riding something, train harder and get off the start line quicker – else the person in front has right of way, whether they’re riding, running or salsa dancing around the course.
    Choosing to ride a line when people in front of you are running and will obviously block your progress, is just stupid.
    Race-craft, innit?

oldgit
    Free Member

Oldgit, did the guy run up the first (steep) bank, remount at the top and then try to ride up the second one, in the middle of the first lap melee? I don’t remember seeing anyone riding up the steepest one on the first lap of the vets, so I’m assuming that’s what he did…
    If so, he’s a bigger fool than we thought, and made completely the wrong decision in the heat of the moment.

Yep, you’ve got it.

Muke
    Free Member

Some more crowd pleasing CX riding skills for you..
    😀

superfli
    Free Member

Wot, did he not use his bell?

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘'RIDING' no place in cross?’ is closed to new replies.