Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Riding Near Tintagel
  • Clobber
    Free Member

Any decent rides out from / around Tintagel, I will be staying there in the half term

Clobber
    Free Member

Bump… Can anyone give me a steer…?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not a vast amount around Cornwall. A lot of private land with no access.

Though there’s Bodmin Moor neaby-ish.

Might be able to cobble together XC ride using bridleways and cheeky footpaths.

There’s one trail centre at Cardinham but that’s a fair way from where you are.

Check out http://www.ibikeride.com map of bike places. Or http://www.trailforks.com plus of course Strava

prawny

Cardinham isn’t too bad from Tintagel, 40 mins in the car.

It’s worth that sort of drive IMO, I quite like it anyway. Wild riding in Cornwall is limited though, it’s all solar fields and campsites.

Clobber
    Free Member

Thank you for the information, I was hoping to be able to do some coastal rides straight out of the door… :o(

jam-bo

coast path. sketchy in places, cheeky everywhere.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

2 minute drive from Cardinham is Lanhydrock which is some extra different riding. Not massive but on the door step to Cardinham

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Take the road bike and ride along the quiet B road that is the coast road to Morwenstow and back, bloody hell its hilly!

rexated
    Free Member

coast path around tintagel would involve a lot of carrying, as well as being confronted by understandably irate walkers and national trust wardens. best to take the road out of tintagel, either north to bude via boscastle, or west down past port issac towards padstein. there’s riding to be had in grogely and hustins woods, but hard to make a loop, so you might was well head to cardinam as others have suggested.

or do the sensible thing and just eat pasties and drink HSD beer.

Clobber
    Free Member

The sensible option of pasties and beer is not an option I’m afraid, thanks for all the tips

prawny

Tintagel is crap for pasties, there’s a place there that crimps them on the top FFS.

There are others that do it properly, but that one place taints the whole ‘town’

deadkenny
    Free Member

Never had any in Tintagel, but used to be a place in Hayle that did awesome ones. Of course you can never get proper ones across the border.

scruff
    Free Member

Philps for pasties. Big box of them.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As above, road bike would be best for off the door stuff or you could just explore the lanes on your mountain bike if that’s all you have. The coastal path is ridable in certain places when it’s quiet in the dead of winter and nobody is looking, in the holidays you can forget it.

littlerob

PMFJI, I was reading this thread with interest as we’re off down that way soo too. I was looking at the trails near Bodmin, but more to the West. e.g. Hustyns Woods and Bishops Woods.

What is the access to these like from the Camel Trail (since this is the obvious way to get there for us)?

Once in the woods, how easy are the trails to find?

Thanks

Rob

Clobber
    Free Member

Cardinham Woods was worth the visit. A good fun loop and perfect introduction for the kids to a bit more exciting riding than the bridleways back home.

Thank you for the recommendation!

rossburton
    Free Member

Only just noticed this but I find the byway/bridleway riding around Cornwall to be excellent, there’s a lot of them and some great loops can be made. Obviously there’s also the coastal paths and disused mines to spice it up further.

Regarding Bishops/Hustyns, I still haven’t been but I believe the Camel trail literally goes through the woods so just look at a map for the fireroad. The trails are proper DH ones so should be simple enough to find if you follow the tyre marks. 🙂

littlerob

rossburton – Its interesting what you way about byway/bridleway because where we were staying (Constantine Bay) there was just about nothing (Zero, zilch zip).

However, we did find our way to the Woods. They are not directly on the Camel Trail. A few miles out of Wadebridge you come to a bridge and can take steps up the side to the road. From here you can access the Woods.

We didn’t really have much clue where we were going, but spent about an hour riding up various fire-roads and down trails. It was a lot of fun, and we had the place to ourselves.

Rob

jam-bo

sounds like grogley.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Riding Near Tintagel’ is closed to new replies.