Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Riding near Hebden Bridge
  • hopster
    Free Member

I am going to be in the area from Monday for a few days and I wondered where the good riding can be found? I won’t have a car so I’ll have to ride to the trails. Never been in the area and I’d looking got shortish 3-4 hour rides.

Any ideas???? Links to maps etc….

Cheers

globalti
    Free Member

Buy the OS map and look for dashed green lines.

tops5
    Free Member

Asshat hope you get some more helpful replies op

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jaymoid

I’ve got this, it has some good routes on, a ride up to stoodley pike is worth it for the ride down again.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79R1I3cApzo[/video]

carlos
    Free Member

Get yourself down to – http://blazingsaddles.co.uk/site/?page_id=226 and ask the guts in the shop, pretty sure they’ll at least sell you a map.

tmb467
    Free Member

Google the Calderdale mountain bike marathon

You could easily split that into two from Hebden bridge

Edit : that book is also brilliant. The Gorple road ride is outstanding

jaymoid

^ Yup do that, pretty sure they have that book too if you wanted it.

jaymoid

Ah I’ve not done the Gorple road one. I’ll add that to my list, right after we ride Hebden Bridge again this weekend 😀

tmb467
    Free Member

We strung together a Hebden bridge ride, the Oxenhope moor one, the Oakworth one and Bingley bash one summer day

Hebden bridge to Apperley bridge

It was ace

Ben_H

I went there in 2003 with my bike and spent a happy 3 days riding.

I remember that I picked-up a locally-produced pamphlet from the local Tourist Information Centre, which when teamed with an OS map, guided me to some great routes.

Memories include a massive climb out of Hebden itself, lots of riding along stone-walled bridleways, another massive climb with a nasty dog and an ace descent with carved (?) rock steps.

Obviously Singletrack is based around the corner, so I guess these routes form their local test circuits.

wilde86
    Free Member

plenty of good riding. what sort of riding are you looking for?

dantsw13

I posted on here for a ride, when I had a skills course with Ed O at great rock. A couple of locals took me out for a great ride from Hebden Bridge, all arranged on here. Really enjoyed the Blue Pig!

rickt
    Free Member

jaymoid –

Good video.. it does not look too bad in the video if you don’t know the route – but when your hangover the edge ready to go with a 50mph cross wind its a good’un !

wilde86
    Free Member
    tmb467
    Free Member

Ah there really is some great riding round there

The drop from high brown knoll to Luddenden foot is one of my favourites

rickt
    Free Member

hopster –

From Hebden, look at doing the Gorple Lower / upper Reservoir back via Hardcastle Cragg.

Hebden to Royd on Route 66, Royd to Blackstone Edge (road climb though) (tour de Yorkshire stage) upto Black Stone reservoir, Warland arcoss Pennie way to Stoodly Pike descend into Hebden.

A long one – Hebden – Stodley, upto Warland Reservoir, White holme – right onto Turvin Road – left onto A58 Rochdale Road (1 mile downhill road) – left onto Bluebell Road – Left onto Bridleway – toward Sykes Road/ new road – Down Cragg road – Left to Hinchcliffe arms — follow road to sumit – across back to Stodley Pike into Hebden. (Route can be cut short in many places if required.

If required – can stick some markers on a map –

If your a full face rider – Could do Cockhill – (ride to Todd) – it may only be open weekends thinking about it…

mike399
    Free Member

Blazing saddles do a night ride (Tuesday I think). I suggest you bob in and ask for a few directions before setting off on a ride and they’ll point you in the right direction.

(Oh – not to put you off, but Good look with the weather! – the Tod/Hebden road was filling up nicely tonight!)

rickt
    Free Member

tmb467 – yeah thats a good one too..

Theres a few footpaths but this gives the OP an idea..

rickt
    Free Member

and as mike399 says…. Its been pi55ing down over the last few days so expect your clothing to weight more than your camelbak bladder!!

Also… on a more serious note – the weather looks pretty crap from Sunday night onwards, i always share my route when solo.. as it can be pretty bleak. eg – a month ago is was lovely sun in Hebden… really strong winds at Stoodly and uptowards Warland it was heavy rain and hail…. back to Hebden and still sunny !!

tmb467
    Free Member

Not done that side of Warley moor before.

Always gone the other side past the dams

jaymoid

jaymoid –

Good video.. it does not look too bad in the video if you don’t know the route – but when your hangover the edge ready to go with a 50mph cross wind its a good’un !

Aah I can’t take credit for that video, I just found it on YT to show the fun-ness. Totally agree, GoPros never really show the severity of several things like angle of slope, scale of obstacles (they tend to get flattened), degree of hangover, and yorkshire weather! 😀

When we were descending down from stoodley pike last time, a few of us were waiting for the others at the bottom discussing how much fun it was. Only to see a mate ambling down the steep hill chasing after his back wheel, it was well ‘Last of the Summer Wine’.

rickt
    Free Member

Hopster –

You still going?

I did hebden to gorple to hardcastle crags loop today… It was v wet!!!!

grum
    Free Member

I’m in Hebden and free tomorrow – I would offer to come out but I’m ill, fat, lazy and slow, and the weather looks awful. 🙂

toffer
    Free Member

I’m free tomorrow and live in Tod if you or anyone else is interested on going out, not sure about the wind though 🙁

rickt
    Free Member

toffer – Up at the summit of Gorple reservoir it was fair windy today!!

🙂

toffer
    Free Member

Damn wanted try out my new mucky nutz fender bender, may do my usual route of orchan rocks to tod golf course and hope it isn’t too bad!

rickt
    Free Member

Its still fully ride able – even picked up a tail wind too on some of the climbs…. (while forgetting about the cross wind with horizontal rain!!)

I run a fender bender, works well on the wet speed sections for the forward spray.

Had to get changed outside before coming into the house !

hopster
    Free Member

Just about to arrive in Hebden Bridge. Looks like I need waders according to some folk. Not going to make it out tomorrow so thinking Tuesday/Wednesday. Will take a look at some of the suggestions later. Thanks All.

hopster
    Free Member

I’m in Hebden and free tomorrow – I would offer to come out but I’m ill, fat, lazy and slow, and the weather looks awful.

Probably won’t make it tomorrow Grum. Thanks for the offer though.

dale
    Free Member

a new group has just started regular rides from Cycle-recycle in Hebden Bridge on monday’s 7.00 pm

rickt
    Free Member

Dale – what sort of night riding you doing/routes ?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Buy the OS map and look for dashed[b] dotted[/b] green lines.

😆

On a more helpful note, my advice would be to stick to the steep valley side routes around Hebden & Hep’. The moorland routes will have degenerated to slop by now but the valley sides drain quickly.

We paid a visit on Saturday and managed 2500ft of cheeky descents in about 8 miles total.

dale
    Free Member

Rickt-depends on who turns up / abilities / conditions ……. friendly group of people who like riding bikes ,tonight is looking wet but will be fun in company ( 2-3 hr ride)

toffer
    Free Member

Rickt-depends on who turns up / abilities / conditions ……. friendly group of people who like riding bikes ,tonight is looking wet but will be fun in company ( 2-3 hr ride)

Looks good, I need some lights before I could join you!

rickt
    Free Member

It does sound good – do you head out onto the tops then? (all/most off road ? )

@hopster – Gorple will be an ideal route as most of the trail is hard pack with good water run off.

dantsw13

It was Dale that looked after me and showed me around last year too!!

He taught me all I needed to know about riding tight rocky switchbacks :mrgreen:

dale
    Free Member

Rickt -Time usually means a couple of ups and a couple of downs, theres not much along .Road doesnt need to be ridden that often , I am just a rider in the group , a man called Simon has set it up but as said its a new group. Toffer – all welcome .Dan was that the day I face planted the tree ? (chuckle)

rickt
    Free Member

Been out today Hopster ?

dantsw13

Dale – indeed it was!! I had a great 2 days in HB, Ed’s course was ace on the second day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Hebden Bridge’ is closed to new replies.