Riding near Dundee?? what is there?

Home Forum Bike Forum Riding near Dundee?? what is there?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Riding near Dundee?? what is there?
  • stanfree

Househusband has recently moved up there from east lothian I’m sure he will keep you right.

Premier Icon surroundedbyhills
    Subscriber

IMAG0549 by Red Ritchie, on Flickr

The Angus Glens ^^ round Glen Ample etc have some pretty good sections, but you’ll have head west and north a bit for extensive stuff – Fife/Angus is the farmland of scotland so land is precious and flat (for Scotland). Quick skooshes through Tentsmuir might do for evenign rides but other wise you’ll need yur roof rack.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Tentsmuir is ok for a flat blast.
    Fife coast path.
    Lots of stuff in Angus and across to Perthshire.

Subscriber

Should mention of course that if your coming up over the border you have waaayyy more access rights than you do in England, as a rule of thumb if there’s a path on the OS map you are entitled to ride it.

renton

Im not sure I could ride in that ^^^^^ it looks to wet !! 😯

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Im not sure I could ride in that ^^^^^ it looks to wet !!

It’s Scotland it’s always wet, you could always go to west coast where it’s not wet but soggy.

renton

Lol Im only kidding mate!!

Subscriber

after you’ve lived in the east for while you’ll be boring the shit out the rest of us telling us how “dry” it is…”dry” being a relative term of course. 😀

PS your first stop has to be the Aero Cafe in Leuchars, nothing to do with the chocolate, it is quite an experience!

whatnobeer

As above there are some flat fast trails around Tentsmuir which is a nice wee ride from Leuchars. There’s a bomb hole near Wormit with a few doubles and what not. There’s a few short dh lite trails at Blebo Craigs which isnt too far either. Not too sure of the stuff on the otherside of the Tay, but I’m sure there’s stuff there too.

renton

Cool thanks people !! Im hoping there is a cycling club on camp !!

renton

As title I am more than likely moving to Leuchars just outside of St Andrews in Scotland and was just wondering if anyone knew of any good places to ride around the area??

Cheers

Steve

1981miked

For a different kind of ride why not visit DeJa Vu on a Saturday night.. Guaranteed to end up with a well used bouncy bike if u wish!

Or if your after a more responsive ride visit Fat Sams.. The bikes there are newer and fresher and most DEFINATELY better maintained.

Seriously though, there is some riding to be had up the Sidlaw hills but not much to get excited about, plenty riding within an hours drive though. Not that I do any mountain biking nowadays.. Fallen out of love with it and don’t know why : (.

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

I’ve been really impressed with the abundance of singletrack in and around Glenrothes (half an hour or so from Leuchars) where I teach; there’s a good bike club in the area and they ride on Sundays (more leisurely, so I’m told, though the pair I went out with a few weekends ago don’t hang around!) and more race-pace on Wednesday evenings – the ‘Mukyriders’ on Facebook.

Get in touch when you move, Renton.

joshvegas

Your nearest hill is lucklawhill. It should keep you entertained for a good ten minutes. Bring mud tyres.

And if you pass a skinny old guy running or cycling its probably my dad.

Aerocafe…. yeah should go there.

Kinnoul near Perth is good for an afternoon blast, although it’s a bit of a step from Leuchars.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxN-ecgzGfc[/video]

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

Lots of singletrack in Pitmedden forest near Auchtermuchty. Definitely the best riding near Leuchars, still a car Journey though.

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

Renton, send me an email when you get up here and i will happily point you in the right direction.

What do you like to ride and do you have a car.

Sidlaws, Pitmedden, Blairadam are all within a short car journey and are pretty good for short blasts.

Angus glens for some proper biking, just check out Loch Muick route for a small taster.

It would be a shame not to give that 5 spot a good thrashing 😀

spando

PITMEDDEN it is a fantastic place to ride, loads of natural single track, go and explore its so much fun 😀

Tentsmuir is flat but ok, I prefer to run in Tentsmuir as it opens up more opportunities (dunes, beach, seals, sea eagles etc). Hellish for the ticks though! Even had one on my man bits the other day 😳

About 1 hour away Dunkeld has DH and miles of XC stuff with amazing views good pubs and chippy 😀

Lomond hills from Falkland (Lomond tavern good pub and great cheap home cooked food) the Lomond hills have some DH with some crazy gap jumps. Also great XC all round the Lomonds.

I think there are some you tube videos of all the above places to give you an idea what its like.

Best of luck and enjoy, any questions just ask.

spando

Oh yeh Sidlaws have some nice riding and will get you fit!

renton

Cheers all !!

I used to live near enough on the door step to cannock chase so that is the type of riding I like however I am willing to try anyhting really !!

Really enjoyed Afan too !!

Mactheknife…. you are right I need to give the 5 spot a good workout !

petersnell

Was based at leuchars for quite a while, recommend Kinoull hill near Perth and Falkland for downhill blasts.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Dundee?? what is there?’ is closed to new replies.