Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding near Bristol
  • joespencer33
    Free Member

Got into Uni in Bristol starting in September and was wondering what the riding was like around there and how it will compare to where I’m coming from on the North York Moors.
    I’ll be taking the Road Bike first then hopefully bring the MTB after my first visit back home.
    So what can I expect?

nickjb
    Free Member

For mtb the is some good riding right near the city centre, just over the bridge. A few nice areas not far away and some great riding a short drive away for a day trip.

TooTall
    Free Member

You’ll probably be able to ride from your accommodation to the trails, round the trails, stop at a pub and then back to where you live. Not the wilds you are used to, but a very nice close-to-city set of trails. Look at Ashton Court and Leigh Woods for your starters.
    Unless you are at UWE, in which case you have a different proposition.

Philby

Ashton Court and Leigh Woods just over the Suspension Bridge with trail centre type trails and some natural routes in Leigh Woods. Also a couple of other local areas – Ashton Hill Plantation, 50 Acre Woods, Blaise Castle.

A short car ride away are the Mendips and Quantocks (probably closest to NY Moors type riding) as well as the Forest of Dean, and South Wales Trail Centres. Also some good routes in the Cotswolds and the Downs in Wiltshire.

Road riding is also excellent – Mendips, over the Severn Bridge to Wales, South Gloucestershire, and out to North East Somerset and West Wiltshire.

flatfish
    Free Member

Bring a good lock and NEVER, NEVER, leave your bike locked outside.

joespencer33
    Free Member

do you mean unlocked?

jam-bo

Probably locked. Bike theft capital of the south.

petefromearth

I think he meant locked! I’d never leave a nickable bike unattended in Bristol even locked.

Other than that, it’s a fantastic city 🙂

As others have said, superb riding close to town, and plenty more within a short drive

TooTall
    Free Member

He means that just because you lock it, it isn’t safe, so keep it inside and don’t use a nice bike for going to the shop.

MrAgreeable

The riding round Bristol is great, especially in the summer. Think woodsy singletrack rather than open moorland stuff. When it’s wet you’re better off sticking to the surfaced stuff in Ashton Court and Leigh Woods.

There’s more info about the local trails and a couple of route guides here:

http://bristoltrailsgroup.com/

As other people have said, bike theft is an issue around here. It’d be well worth picking up a hack bike for everyday travel – try Bristol Bike Project, Lifecycle UK or the Bike Jumble (first Saturday of the month at Mud Dock). And don’t leave your pride and joy unlocked in bike stores or communal areas.

Bike theft capital of the south.

Apart from London, the Home Counties and Cambridge.

http://road.cc/content/news/36808-police-stats-reveal-uks-recorded-bike-crime-hotspots-how-does-your-area-fare

Where people ride bikes, you get bike thieves, sadly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Bristol’ is closed to new replies.